Borrego Springs Century

Tom Roberts

Hi All,

Yesterday (12/27/09) I participated in the Borrego Springs Century. Borrego Springs is east of San Diego toward the Salton Sea. There were 200-300 riders and I was the only one on a recumbent (my Silvio). I had hernia surgery 5 weeks ago and had only started riding again about 10 day ago, but I was itching for a nice long ride. I had done rides of 35 miles and 40 miles in those 10 days but nothing longer, so I was prepared mentally not to complete the ride if things weren't go well. I did manage to finish the ride though with no major problems. I did not push too hard averaging 15.1mph. There was 2800 feet in elevation change over the route. The temperature was in the 30's when we started and though the sun was shining for most of the day it did not seem to warm up that much. Even with a couple of layers of clothing and all the peddling I was a bit cold. The landscape was both stark and beautiful. At times I felt like this ride was taking place on the moon and at other times I could see the beauty in the arid surroundings.

The comments on the Silvio were all positive. One guy said, "That's the first recumbent I've seen that looks like it would go really fast." I assured him that it would go fast and that it would go even faster if my legs were a little stronger. :) Another said, "I bet your back will feel better than mine at the end of this ride." There were several comments about the front wheel drive. It's interesting to watch people as they look at the bike. It seems they are trying to take everything in using their bike as a point of reference and it's not all fitting together. The analogy of a calf looking at a new gate is appropriate. There's just too much to take in at one time. Anyway, it's fun to watch them.

Hope all this poitive interest translates into more Cruzbikes sales at some point.

Happy peddling in the New Year,

Tom

Tom Roberts

Hi Jack,

I'm ready. Just let me know when.
70_da0eecafeb1b344b70dddc2b5790dffd

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Tom Roberts wrote: Hi Jack,

I'm ready. Just let me know when.
Good to hear. It starts the 8-12 june depending on age, gender and team size. Good luck.

https://www.raceacrossamerica.org/registration/default.php