Bravado

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Everyone likes to look Bravado and one of the steps in cycling is being able to take your hands off the handlebars and steer and pedal with the feet. For cruzbiker's this is no mean feat. However I can see the time when this will happen for me but it won't if I still continue to use Q Rings. Q Rings are great to empower the stroke but I believe it imbalances left and right crank. So my bet is that if I go with a smaller crank size that I won't need Q Rings as there effectiveness diminishes and the stability increases. However if I do succeed in being able to take my hands off what will I do with them? Probably eat and drink more on longer runs.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I don't have Q rings, so take that into account when valuing this:

It's possible that Q rings might make it a bit harder to ride with no hands (and I'm not convinced that is true although it may be), but I'd be very surprised if it's true that you can't ride with no hands because of Q rings.

I can ride a wide variety of cadences with no hands (although admittedly, not the very low nor very high range). And Q-rings, in some sense, should actually help smooth out your pedal stroke making it easier to ride with no hands (if there is enough of an effect to tell).

Long-story-short: I don't think Q rings will hurt. If you want me to check, send me a set and I'll let you know. :D

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
This year, I have ridden a lot with Q-rings (1st 6 months) and a lot without (last 6 months).
I have not found any real difference in my ability to ride with no hands on my Vendetta. I can do it for short times (under a minute or 2), and on nice level straight roads. (I'm no Jim Parker at it, and may never be!)
To me, the real key is to have a really even pedal stroke (which also means not applying much power).
IMHO: The more you are laying on the power, the more your tendency for "pedal steer", which makes riding with no hands harders.
Good Luck.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Practice makes perfect... I will keep at it then. I thought I might have reason to buy a nice short crank and pedal set for Xmas. LOL

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I thought I might have reason to buy a nice short crank and pedal set for Xmas.
David, I am certainly an advocate of shorter cranks, especially if on your back-pedal-stroke you knee is bending past 90 degrees.
Between that and your Q-rings, your knees will love you!

I actually built an adjustable crank so I could fine tune to exactly the size I wanted, but that is not necessary. (I just wanted to see if I could do it!)
There are also a couple of "recumbent crank calculators" floating around the web.
Here is one: http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/crank_angle.asp
Hardest thing for me was to really figure out where the true center of my hip joint was for this calculator. But this will give you a "ball-park" figure that you can start to work with.
Cheapest way to make yourself a set is to but a used or new set of SRAM Apex and then have them cut down and re-tapped for your length. Your LBS may be able to do it, or find a friend that has a machine shop.
So, you can still get them for Christmas after-all!

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
If there is a difference riding no hands with/without Q-rings it to me is minimal. I did notice a minute difference riding no hands between my Quest (with Q ring) and QX100 (no Q ring) when I first started riding the QX (and having almost 5000 miles on the Quest). The QX100 seemed just barely not as smooth at first no handed but now I have developed 'X legs' to smooth it out. Both putting in the miles and practice on skills make a big difference thanks to Ratz skill steps! And the warm weather here in Phoenix helps.

jond

Zen MBB Master
If there is a difference riding no hands with/without Q-rings it to me is minimal. I did notice a minute difference riding no hands between my Quest (with Q ring) and QX100 (no Q ring) when I first started riding the QX (and having almost 5000 miles on the Quest). The QX100 seemed just barely not as smooth at first no handed but now I have developed 'X legs' to smooth it out. Both putting in the miles and practice on skills make a big difference thanks to Ratz skill steps! And the warm weather here in Phoenix helps.

LOL "x legs" :) you should copywrite that emeljay.

sadly i am not able to ride with no hands. perhaps it is just a matter of practice. nor can i take out a bottle and put it back but rely on a hydration hose. once again practice would help and i am remiss . but i am having oodles of fun fun fun. and yes all praise to the mighty ratz skill steps.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Well there's Agent X, X Box, Chronicles X, X Drone, Easy X, X Files, X Games, H X, Inventory X, X Japan, Kombat X, X Men, National X, OS X, X Paranormal, X Quote, Racer X, Space X, X Tag, U X, Vert X, X Windows, Xenoblade X, YX, Z X; and now there's X Legs!!
After many, many miles I became more comfortable with no hands riding but I did also practice it. Sometimes it is necessary to take hands off to do something like drink, scratch an itch, etc. But do it wisely to be safe or you may wish you had borrowed LarryOz armor. Google 'Heinrich 300-29-1'

jond

Zen MBB Master
Well there's Agent X, X Box, Chronicles X, X Drone, Easy X, X Files, X Games, H X, Inventory X, X Japan, Kombat X, X Men, National X, OS X, X Paranormal, X Quote, Racer X, Space X, X Tag, U X, Vert X, X Windows, Xenoblade X, YX, Z X; and now there's X Legs!!
After many, many miles I became more comfortable with no hands riding but I did also practice it. Sometimes it is necessary to take hands off to do something like drink, scratch an itch, etc. But do it wisely to be safe or you may wish you had borrowed LarryOz armor. Google 'Heinrich 300-29-1'

x legs you forgot the X queensland aussie beer 4xxxx. yum.

i will not be letting go of the handlebar anytime soon. one hand okay to scratch wipe sweat and drink but both hands off is a no go zone for this little black duck. i will stay safe.