Brief report from Bike Sebring 2016

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Sebring, Florida: A record number of Cruzbike racers, seven, turned up to race on February 13-14 at one of the most popular races in the world that allow recumbents to compete. Approximately 1 out of 3 recumbent racers were on a Cruzbike.
In the 24-hour non-drafting RAAM qualifier, Ben Tomblin placed first among three recumbent racers with a very solid 464.3 miles.

In the 12-hour race, Kevin Gambill put in an astounding 276.6 miles, which not only took first place but broke the long-standing recumbent course record set by John Schlitter (269.5 miles) in 2006. In addition, he set the OVERALL course record including the 271.4 mile record set by Kurt Searvogel on a standard bike. Kevin hasn’t even been riding his V20 very long. Last year he came in third place with 257.0 miles on a RWD recumbent.

Larry Oslund was on a great pace in the same race for the first 100 miles, but had a tire blowout and he wrecked (again!), dislocating his shoulder. Larry came back to the track after his visit to the ER to check on his Cruzbike team mates. What a guy.

Paul Gagnon came in 3rd place (of 5 racers) in his age-group, with 187.2 miles. I was helping crew at one point in the afternoon when he pulled up with a muscle cramp in his left calf. I was very impressed that he was able to keep going. Paul is also relatively new to the Cruzbike, but doing great on it.

Hardy Swinson did 5:05:01 in the 101.5 miles Century event, which is especially impressive because he had to stop for two flats.

Maria Parker decided to race the 12-hour event event on a Silvio S30, to showcase that you can still be quite fast on a bike designed for comfort. The suspended bike took her 241.5 miles, despite stopping a few times along the way to chat with people. Her mileage was still good enough for 2nd place overall among the women.

I placed 2nd overall in the Century event, finishing in 4:14:51. That time was 40 seconds slower than last year, but I missed a turn this year, and had to stop for a red light.

That's my quick wrap-up of a great weekend of Cruzbike racing. It was great to see old Cruzbike friends, and meet new ones.

Jim

jond

Zen MBB Master
great people great results great bikes. thanks Jim I was there in spirit. congratulations all. riding fast with grace.

Thanks Jim.

Outstanding job everyone. This community is amazing and the results show just how special these bikes are.

I'm curious. Does your bike or Maria's have names?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
That will be awesome Jason! We'll pull a killer team together and shoot for an even 300 on the 12 hour!

Well I guess I'll be going for close to 600 in the 24hr then or I'm going to have one hell of a tough time in the second half :lol

Peter Michelson

Bravo to all who raced in Florida. I saw a photo of the Florida velodrome where the Cruzbike trike was racing against catrikes. How much longer before the Cruzbike trike is ready? I just happen to live in San Diego where we have the Fiesta Time Trials, on Fiesta Island. I seriously need one when they are ready to be produced. Or, have a similar Cruzbike that was at the Velodrum.
Look forward to your reply!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Bravo to all who raced in Florida. I saw a photo of the Florida velodrome where the Cruzbike trike was racing against catrikes. How much longer before the Cruzbike trike is ready? I just happen to live in San Diego where we have the Fiesta Time Trials, on Fiesta Island. I seriously need one when they are ready to be produced. Or, have a similar Cruzbike that was at the Velodrum.
Look forward to your reply!

Prototype #3 might have made an appearance at a recent show back on the secret test track. I wouldn't put any plans on seeing anything production in under 18 months. Jim is determined it will happen; and Maria is determined it will be "right" before it's "real" that means when you see it will be Cruzbike quality; but that takes time and time takes patience. And that's boarder line more than I'm suppose to say but honest question honest answer.