Bullhorn bars help

Bentas

Is there a bullhorn bar available like the deda low rider 46cm wide with 25.4 cm clamp diameter?
I can only find the 31. something size. I need at least 50 mm drop and 46 cm wide centre to centre, 25.4mm clamp size.

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Thanks ratz, they look good , my only concern is my chunky thighs .
Yeah it's hard to find wide ones; there are UCI limits on horns which get used with aero bars on TT bikes. 44 center to center is usually the widest you can fine. The Deda at 46 are extremely rare. I spent an entire winter researching bars and it was slim pickings.

jond

Zen MBB Master
i ended with the deda bar and then used a low rise stem extender by bbb for clearance issue of thighs.

Bentas

Thanks Jond , another mbb convert from the southern side off the pond I believe.
Cheers Rob

mattwall

I am using a Nitto B602 AA Promenade bar on my Silvio 1.5 . This has a bar width of 490 mm with a drop of 68 mm and a centre diameter of 25.4 mm . Unfortunately the portion of the bar that swells out to 25.4 is too short and I had to pack out the bars under the clamps with shims cut from aluminium beer cans.
Apart from that , the bars are great and I am very pleased with them.

Bentas

Thanks for this mattswall ,my homebuilt boom clamp is narrower than the Silvio ,so this sounds like the best option yet.
Any pics ?

Bentas

Very cool ,thanks for these great pics, do you feel they enhance your control ,are you able to climb as effectively as with drops? Do you have any issues with leg interference being lower?

mattwall

Hi Bentas,
I think that I ride a little straighter with bull bars than drop bars .
With drop bars , I was only able to engage my core muscles and upper body when I held onto the hoods . If I held onto the lower part of the bars , then I could not use my upper body for climbing or sprinting . With bull bars I am able to use my upper body without having to remember to switch to the hoods .
I find riding with my arms straight with bull bars more comfortable than riding with bent arms with drop bars.
The bull bars do not interfere with my legs at all as they are wide enough to give good leg clearance.

Bentas

Here's what I've ended up with ,pretty much dialled in and ready for tape .
Really happy with hand position , hoods about60mm lower than with drop bars.
Used an old 44cm wide set of drop bars ,25.4 clamp size cut them just before the curve and cold spread out to 46cmm,
With a grinder shaved the diameter down enough to fit beefy mtb 28mm diam bar ends onto road bars , after cutting bar ends to size ,used the cut offs from drops ,the right curve and diameter for brifters ,made beer can alu shims and slotted into bar ends,map gas weld and done , lots of adjustability.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Bentas

Thanks Mr Steve, that's encouraging. I've been hestant in posting picks of my bike on this forum bccause it's not a cruzbike, I've been a home builder for about 15 years now and this is my third mbb build, most of my early ideas about this format came from Tom Traylor and then obviously John Tolhurst.
I probably spend more time on this forum than any other because of the great inspirational people that post here, and because I glean heaps of info about mbb bikes, which I believe are the most efficient and user friendly recumbents period. Yes I know I'm preaching to the choir here.
I guess what I'm trying to convey is for those of us that can't afford a Vendetta or a Silvio at this point,is it appropriate to share info ie build information, even though we are not officially "cruzbike family"
Do you accept foster children lol

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Thanks Mr Steve, that's encouraging. I've been hestant in posting picks of my bike on this forum bccause it's not a cruzbike, I've been a home builder for about 15 years now and this is my third mbb build, most of my early ideas about this format came from Tom Traylor and then obviously John Tolhurst.
I probably spend more time on this forum than any other because of the great inspirational people that post here, and because I glean heaps of info about mbb bikes, which I believe are the most efficient and user friendly recumbents period. Yes I know I'm preaching to the choir here.
I guess what I'm trying to convey is for those of us that can't afford a Vendetta or a Silvio at this point,is it appropriate to share info ie build information, even though we are not officially "cruzbike family"
Do you accept foster children lol

There is a forum reorg in the future and perhaps a proper dedicated place to hold such items will make the cut. In the end you are not selling bikes, you are not therefore adversely affecting the business. You are adding to the MBB discussion and knowledge. I personally see no reason to object to pics of your bikes here in the community forum. Never know what contribution turns into the next great idea. I am not the final decider of such things, but it certainly doesn't qualify as spam. Besides Mr Steves soft rider has about as must resmblence to a shipping CB bike as yours does. :p

So come on out into the sunlight.

Apollo

I am using a Nitto B602 AA Promenade bar on my Silvio 1.5 . This has a bar width of 490 mm with a drop of 68 mm and a centre diameter of 25.4 mm
Thanks for mentioning your bar setup, I've been looking for wider bullhorns. Out of the 5 bullhorns I own, the widest is only 44cm. I never knew about the Nitto bars you have on your Silvio and they look like an excellent option. I'm thinking of a bar-end shifter and CX lever arrangement but haven't decided yet.