bullhorns

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I'm really liking the

I'm really liking the bullhorns feel and hand positioning but boy, let me tell you assembling them is a major PITA.

I tossed aside the segmented cable housings that John includes and bought more housing and ran them in a single run. MUCH easier to get everything together, especially if you tape the two shifter housings together at the base of the bars where the housings exit from inside the bullhorns to then run down inside the slider and out the pivot cage.

I am not fond of the brake levers but they work well enough for now, but I'm probably going to explore brake lever mods at some point in the future.

Oh and I also ran the rear brake housing all the way through the frame but I'm not liking it and will probably refit back to using the cable stops and bare cable inside the frame. I did not punch out the existing stops just angled the housing to run through where the flared area allows them to fit. With the housing inside the frame, it seems to have too much room to wiggle around making it harder to get a good brake pull on the rear brake.

-Eric

COBRA GT

Bullhorn handlebar

Interesting comments on these handlebars. Note: Alan[Mr. V] never rode the Vendetta. He did have those brakes on his remote steering NoCom . They did work.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Hi Gary, I knew Alan had a

Hi Gary, I knew Alan had a NoCom but I don't recall hearing anything about remote steering for it. What was that all about?

I chatted with Alan a bit about his custom bars but he was being Alan so I didn't get much info from him.

-Eric

COBRA GT

Bullhorn bars

Hey Eric.On the remote steering.Check WISIL site under projects for NoCom. Note: NoCom had rear Disc brake. Bull bars : Hope they work for you. Gary.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Bullhorn photos

Misc photos for your viewing pleasure. Click for larger image in a new window/tab:

NOTE: The photo below shows my cockpit clearance with my boom and handlebar settings.

BELOW: This is what it looks like when riding a Vendetta (less knees and feet in this instance)
wink_smile.gif

-Eric

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hey Eric,
The beard is back,

Hey Eric,

The beard is back, baby! :D

(Sorry, was I supposed to be looking at the bike?)

Charles

1happyreader

zen/child method
Post wreck pictures ????

Hey, Eric

You look happy and proud. Might make a nice profile pic.

Are these Post wreck pictures ???

If post wreck then ; Did the Phoenix get repaired or replaced ???

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Beards and post wreck repairs

Hi guys,

@Tim - Post wreck repairs. I'm going to post a write-up of the repair/rebuild in a separate thread when I can find some free time. Kind of crazy busy lately...

@Charles - Yep although the pics are from Texas when I visited my parents last week, it has been getting cold in Michigan so the beard is back. I'm experimenting a bit, hence the chin curtain, to see what works better with my balaclava as it gets even colder...
cry_smile.gif

Would probably work better if I could grow a better beard - I am somewhat follicle challenged...
tongue_smile.gif

-Eric

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Lost the beard - eldest son

Lost the beard - eldest son got married last Friday so I cleaned up for his new wife, my new daughter-in-law.
wink_smile.gif

We'll see what happens as it gets colder...

@Charles (photo proof):
David (son/groom), Keith (brother), Eric (me), Brian (brother), Jonathan (son), George (dad)
Winns-medium.JPG

-Eric

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Come on, Eric.  You know the

Come on, Eric. You know the rules.

Picture or it didn't happen.

:D

@Eric: After update here's all I have to say:

Mazel tov on the wedding! :D

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Bullhorn bars on Silvio?

I realize this is primarily a Vendetta thread, but is anyone using bullhorn bars on a Silvio?

i ask because (long story short) i seem to reflexively wind up riding my Sofrider (which came to me used, with 700c wheels, off-road drop bars, and STI) with my hands around the tops of the hoods, which seems to be pretty close to the hand position on the bullhorn bars. I was able to buy a Silvio 1.5 frame which i will be building up as cash flow allows, and am considering using the bullhorns. Anyone out there with those on a Silvio? Or is it a bad idea on the 1.5?

Kline

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
On the Vendetta, the shift

On the Vendetta, the shift cable and brake cable housing (4mm and 5mm) are both routed internally down inside each bullhorn to a center opening which aligns with the throat of the Vendetta slider.

All four cables (and housings!) are then routed down the throat of the Vendetta slider and out the pivot cage at the steerer tube and headset and then from there to the respective gear or brake control.

The cable housings are a pretty snug fit inside the Vendetta slider which is significantly larger than the Silvio and the Silvio lacks the large pivot cage opening AFAIK so I'm not sure if you could route everything internally on the Silvio.

I think there have been some Silvio owners who have installed the bullhorns but I'm not sure how they did it.

-Eric

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Ok thanks

Ok thanks Eric. I was thinking once the cables reached the center opening on the bars it might be possible to finish routing them externally? Will see if anyone has more enlightenment to share :)