Burning feet

Vargas

This is the second time this happens.
After a couple of hours riding my feet's sole feels as if they were burning, or as if I was walking on embers.
I run Shimano SPD shoes SH-MT23.
Does anyone know why this happens, and most important, how to avoid it?

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Happens to me once in a

Happens to me once in a while. But each time it seems my velcro straps were a bit too tight.

Vargas

My goodness!

I should have done some research before asking. There are many messages about this in Internet! And the same quantity of suggestions to control it :(

Looks like the first simplest thing to do is to move the cleats backwards. Will try it.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Couple of things to check.
1)

Couple of things to check.

1) Make sure your shoes have proper arch support. Bike shoes are like real shoes most have crap for insoles.
2) Move your cleats as far as back on the shoes as possible
3) Loose the straps
4) Do not "scrunch" your toes.

All of this about increasing your blood flow; and those are the 4 most common causes of restricted foot blood flow.

Not a doctor.
Do not play one on tv
Did not stay at a holiday inn express last night.

Also do not suffer hot foot any more more on my rides.

noahvale

I had a lot of hotfoot on my

I had a lot of hotfoot on my Bacchetta. It got a lot better when I got stiffer shoes. I use Bontrager Road shoes with a full carbon sole. That almost fixed it on the B. I don't get any hotfoot on the Silvio. I think the side to side movement helps. I also use Speedplay pedals which have full float both ways, which do help some.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Painful Feet?

Everyone is different, so no two feet are the same, not even your own two feet!

To my eyes, clipless road pedals fall into two basic styles.
One style is basically a little puck that clips to the shoe sole
and the other is little bit longer & wider, yet smaller than
a either a clip-on or a platform style pedal, that also clips
to the shoe sole.

Clipless offroad pedals include the eggbeater style, which
is basically a narrow peg, like a skinny motorcycle footpeg,
which also clips to the shoe sole.

What the various clipless pedal styles have in common
is that they are all smaller than platform pedals, which
means that they all stress the shoe sole in one spot.
-And all good bicycle shoes are built with very stiff soles.

The bottom line, is when you're pedaling your bike with
a good, stiff cycling shoe that is clipped in to a good clipless
pedal, your foot bed will not flex with your foot.
For some feet, working hard on an inflexible sole
does not feel too good after a while.

My feet like a flexible shoe.
That's probably due to years of standing on motorcycle footpegs.
If your feet need a more flexible sole too,
I would suggest that you use a clipless pedal that offers
a lot of surface area -like a convertible platform pedal-
to support the shoe sole... and use a more
flexible shoe.

Hope this helps,

-Steve

31045798.jpg

This is what I pedal....

Bruce B

WrightSocks

A friend of mine who used to run a lot, including marathons, recommended Wright Anti-Blister socks for "hot foot."
His advice worked for me.

Look on Amazon.

Bruce

Ivan

Guru
Metatarsalgia

My hot foot got so bad at one point that the skin on my right sole broke and cracked just where the SPD cleat fits, so it was painful just to walk around the house, let alone cycle. I finally got the problem diagnosed - I have metatarsalgia, where my middle metatarsal protrudes downward instead of naturally arching upward. This results in a really bad pressure point just where the cleat connects below my third metatarsal. Moving the cleat didn't help, but I finally licked the problem with much trial and error through:
  1. Keeping shoe straps not too tight
  2. Custom heat moulded inner soles (I don't use the factory ones, though some cycling shoes come with this service included)
  3. Stiffer shoes (I now use Shimano RT82)
  4. Pedal that distributes pressure more (first went to road SPD-SL, then to Shimano SPD A600 - the only "road pedal" that uses a recessed "mountain cleat")
The turning point for me was understanding the problem - knowing my third metatarsal protruded too far down. This allowed me to try various things and find out what worked. The difficulty is that are so many possible causes that can cause similar symptom of "hot foot" - so one has to try understand your own problem to solve it. Most people's hot foot don't get as bad as mine and I hope yours doesn't. My mistake was I thought I could just "get used to it" and "toughen up" with more miles. When the skin started to break and I was hobbling when walking, I really knew something was wrong!!

Since you already use SPD pedals/cleats, if moving it back doesn't solve it - I highly recommend these A600 pedals - they are the ONLY spd pedals that support the foot pressure over a give a wider surface area. For most rides, I use this in conjunction with the RT82 shoe as they are designed to go together really well.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sg/en/shimano-a600-road-pedals/rp-prod74749

Ivan

Guru
I also want to recommend

I also want to recommend METATARSAL PADS. Google them, for example:
https://nwfootankle.com/products/7-metatarsal-pads

Cheap, and you can move them around 1-2mm to figure out the best placement. This simple DIY method hugely reduces pressure where the cleat contacts the third metatarsal. My custom insoles do this for me, but for many people inserting these pads that cost a few dollars will help greatly.