Calvin's Challenge

jond

Zen MBB Master
oh yes this is an amazing cycling story of guts sacrifice tenacity and overcoming the odds. wow what a performance from everyone. team cruzbike vite vite. woo hoo. unlucky for jim. but what a performance. so very inspirational. think i am going to have to check out a 12 hour here downunda if they have such a thing. congratulations to everyone involved and a just reward for all the training and hard work. and how about those bikes eh :)

BentAero

What I notice in the photos is that no one seems to have his/her head on the headrest.

The photos are giving you a false impression. The on-course photos with the exception of the first photo of Larry sitting up are all from the same very tight, fairly slow right hand turn. The riders are sitting up a bit to improve visibility around the corner. Most corners, including this one were covered in a fair amount of sand and tiny stone, making them a bit sketchy to just hammer around blindly. The first photo of Larry where he's sitting up is heading into a right hand turn onto a fairly busy highway.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The road surface on that corner looks very broken up!!!
What was the rest of the course like?

Any comments from the DF riders about where to buy a Vendetta, after seeing first hand how well the riders AND the Cruzbikes went as a team!!!
This is the best advertising Cruzbike could get, OTHER than Maria Winning the RAM, as there were a LOT of female DF riders watching the results each day!
BUT I have not been able to turn them over to the Red side!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Are there any photos of a Vendetta next to a DF bike, from behind or straight on, to show the huge difference in frontal area?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Thanks everyone for your great support and encouragement. The Cruzbike team (plus Kevin) we had at this event was remarkable. We worked together well and had great results.

Jeffrey,
short loops - you are funny! :0
Most of the pictures above where at corners where Gary could park and get access to us. As you can see we where "pulling" on our handlebars for extra power or to slow down and get a better view of the corner coming up. That lifts our heads off the headrest. Most of the time when just riding straight I still lay on the headrest. Keep playing with the headrest until you get it. Create a new thread and give us some pictures of what you look like! Lots of smart people here to help you get it tuned up.

Super-slim: Yes the road VERY beat up. So many potholes it is a miracle no one went down or we didn't have more flats. I remember hitting at least a dozen wholes so big I was just expecting to go flat and praying it didn't happen.. Soooo many sharp corners (56 in 50 mile loop, and 10 in the 7 mile loop) in the course too and all full of sand and gravel. A must to slow down for and then hammering it to catch the pack and get back up to a decent speed, only to have to do it again. Burned lot of matches - 313 to my count for the 264 miles! How do you plan for that??

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Larry all that acceleration and braking would be energy sapping, AND hard to train for!
Maybe Lots of reps!!!
Are the other racing circuits as rough , and with as many bends as this?
Did you all run 28 mm tyres for this course, as the rough surface would have vibrated your teeth out!?

LarryOz

SuperSlim - I think training at least 30 minutes at my threshold or beyond every other day really helped me with the matches part, but it did eventually zap me of energy. The last 2 hours of the race: it was hard to just keep it in the 21-22mph range, which is something I would do for recovery ride. It is amazing how 10 hours of riding taxes your system - even if you think you could do it all day long - you can't!
Other racing circuits:
I have only raced 3 events in my short recumbent history: (others can chime in with other races)
Mid-Atlantic last August - They had a pan flat 26 mile loop with hardly 100' elevation, and may 12-15 turns per loop. Great for speed.
Sebring - The 100 mile road course was pretty curvy, but not as much as this, plus Florida roads don't get beat up by the winter like northern roads. The racetrack was another story. 27 turns in 3.7 miles (some not so bad), but the darkness made it hard.
Calvins: 56 hard turns in each 50.5 mile loop. Definitely made it hard to keep the speed up, plus road surface rougher, and lots of crossroads that you may have to stop for. This years, I think the "group" had to come to a complete stop 5 or 6 times on the 50.5 mile loop. One time for well over a minute while a big piece of farm equipment that took up two lanes was stopped at a crossroad waiting for other traffic to pass. It was so sad to see that time ticking away.
My fillings are loose - haha. I am actually riding 23 conti's on the front and 25 conti's on the rear - ran at 100psi. Yeah - wasn't the smartest decision, but totally overlooked that part and got lucky.
'

super slim

Zen MBB Master
It looks like different training AND bike set up for each course!
But you don't know until you have raced on each circuit!

How did the DF riders handle the rough conditions, especially after 12 hours as I bet their bottoms and wrists would have been shot!!!
Near the end of the Around the Bay in a Day ride of 212 km (132 mls) in Victoria, Aust, where 15,000 riders take part, I get LOTS of DF riders wanting to swap bikes!

LarryOz

Here's are the rwgps files for both Calvin's loops.
If you studied these before the race, you would at least know somewhat what you where up against. At least for the turns, but not the road conditions.
50.5-mile loop: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/55010
7 mile loop: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1003752

I think most events publish this kind of data before the ride. Of course sometimes they are wrong too. For example The Sebring web page for this years posted the 2010 route (for the Century portion) and it was totally different on the day of the race.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Thanks for the great pictures and write-up, Gary... also for the great crewing. I've been waiting for the official results to go online, but I still haven't found them. The numbers I list here are unofficial.
I was very proud of the Cruzbike team. Ben and Larry are amazing. In their first year of racing on a Vendetta, they enter the premier event at Bike Sebring, the 24-hour non-drafting race, and finish with about 100 miles more than any other recumbent (Ben doing 445.1 miles, Larry doing 437.9 miles).

Then a few months later, they enter the premier 12-hour race in the U.S., Calvin's Challenge, which was designated as the UMCA 12-hour "National Championship" race for the year, and not only do they take the top two spots in the recumbent class, but Larry takes the overall win! When you consider the trials Larry has been through with recent shoulder surgery and road rash from a crash, you have an epic story with that win at Calvins. Ben's amazing results at Calvin's (he tied for second place overall) shouldn't be overlooked. Before I had my flat at mile 35 on the first lap, I was riding behind Ben. He was wearing a windbreaker jacket like you might see on a soccer player. It was blown-up with air like the Michelin Man. He was great to draft behind! I predict great things for Ben and Larry. They are only going to get faster with more experience.

Maria probably worked too hard the first half of the race. She doesn't like to ride behind a peleton. I kept trying to get her to drop in behind someone, but she prefers riding with a lot of space in front of her, especially with all the potholes on the Calvin's course. The second half of the race she had nausea that kept her from taking in enough calories, but she still managed a remarkable (and record-setting) 257 miles. The women's recumbent record was 195.5 miles set by Sara Kay Carroll in 2010. The overall women's record was 249 miles, set by Sandy Earl (riding a DF) in 2002.

Regarding my race, I was feeling really great on that first lap, and was leading the front paceline at 27 mph on a slightly downhill and very bad road when I got a front flat. But the flat turned out to be a good thing for the Team. With the pressure off of my performance, and sitting out two laps, I took on the fun role of riding in support of the other racers. When Larry ran out of water, I gave him one of my bottles. I offered to take a pull more than my share. At the end of the day, I had 100 miles less than Maria, which is still enough to be satisfactorily sore and tired. Near the end of the race, Mike Mowett shows up on a Morciglio M1 lowracer. Maria and I had never met Mike before, but knew he was a famous HPRA racer. We drafted behind him for a few of the seven miles loops until the 12-hour race was over. Then Maria pulled off to the side of the road and vomited, while Mike stood compassionately by. What a way to make a first impression! After that baptism, we made Mike an honorary Team Cruzbike member and took him out for pizza with the team after the awards ceremony.

Also, a great ride by Kevin on his CA2. He fell only a few miles behind Ben and Larry when he got hit with cramps in both legs, and won first place in his age group with an impressive 258 miles. And many thanks to his wife, Gretchen, who helped crew for everyone. Of course, I think Kevin will be even faster on the Vendetta, especially in races with more climbing. He's a great athlete, with a lot of potential.

Jim
8WbVQ-GeZIf4fZMkWngy5Uz9MilN3QGzQter9uVr8BO-yp7rsGKCGCH2VdJOjUoahX05Yg2w8r6goB8OAzinsHZTYiAwJpAgSzVbmPVOJOL4i3rBWGm-FbIcQG0Yzg1Tq3OaSMtF99gjVGvbh2eDBRvmShyVbClGjuUUO0Q=s0-d-e1-ft

LarryOz

Thanks Jim - great write up and kudos to everyone on the "team" - I'll hopefully be submitting my ride report today, once I can get it through the editor! :)