Can a silvio take mountain bike parts?

I realize that this is likely a blasphemous question, but I am looking to buy a Silvio 1.0 or 1.5 and I know mtn bike parts are generally cheaper (and heavier of course). I am on a very tight budget and I want to make it work. I will very likely upgrade in time as i can afford it.

Are there some parts that can be used? Can all components be mtn bike parts?

Again, I know part of what makes a Silvio is its light weight but if I can save a lot of money and still get the bike, I think I might be able to get a bike right away.

Any help would be appreciated. Even better yet, a smoking deal on a Silvio with all road bike components! It never hurts to put it out there!!!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Wheels: Probably not (rear

Wheels: Probably not (rear wheel usually has 135 hubs and not 130 hubs).

Shifters and derailleurs: Shouldn't be a problem. Eric used a mountain bike rear derailleur because he wanted a longer cage on his Vendetta. Within a manufacture, you can sometimes mix and max road/mountain bike shifter derailleurs.

(I don't own a Silvio, so use that to weight my response).

Ivan

Guru
You will still want road

You will still want road levers. Cheapest is to get Campy Veloce levers then connect these to a shimano derailleur and cassette. You could use mountain parts. See ?http://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-campagnolo-ergopower-compatibility for how to do this. Just connect cables differently to compensate for cable pull differences.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Brakes

You'll also need road caliper brakes. Disc brakes, v-brakes and cantilevers are not compatible with earlier versions of the Silvio. The Silvio 2.0 accepts disc brakes.