Carbon Fiber Fun

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
The "Rick & Theresa Foudation for Caribbean Cruise" is always open for donations.:D:D:D.

However orders for the cf box remains to be seen.:cool:.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear Rick,
Can you please send me your Bank BSB, Account number, Account name, Account password, your Social Security number, Address, height, age,etc, so I can donate $5 M into your account for such a good cause!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
My little cardboard box was the shit today. Loaded it up with 12 bags of heroine oops, I mean accelerade and nothing fell out. If only it didn't look like a failed 4th grade crafts project it'd be perfect.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Okay, so I'm undertaking the construction of my first prototype CF SeatBox. I cutout a piece of 1/16" ABS, which is a lot more flexible than 1/8" into the shape I'm looking for. I allowed at least 1" over build on the top and bottom. I taped the ABS to my Thor CF seat using masking tape and then packing tape (note, the 2-part resin will not stick to the packing tape), and also applied a coat of re-leasing agent to the tape. I used 7 layers of CF, which is over kill, 4-5 maybe good. The pictured images are showing the box in a rough cut. I may be taking an inch off the bottom and 1/4" off the top. I will use the seat-back as the front of the box

The box will actually be bolted to the back of the seat, and not the front.

The lid and bottom are next, and will be constructed with the box removed from the seat.

SeatBox3.jpg

SeatBox1.jpg SeatBox4.jpg SeatBox2.jpg

RAR

Okay, so I'm undertaking the construction of my first prototype CF SeatBox. I cutout a piece of 1/16" ABS, which is a lot more flexible than 1/8" into the shape I'm looking for. I allowed at least 1" over build on the top and bottom. I taped the ABS to my Thor CF seat using masking tape and then packing tape (note, the 2-part resin will not stick to the packing tape), and also applied a coat of re-leasing agent to the tape. I used 7 layers of CF, which is over kill, 4-5 maybe good. The pictured images are showing the box in a rough cut. I may be taking an inch off the bottom and 1/4" off the top. I will use the seat-back as the front of the box

The box will actually be bolted to the back of the seat, and not the front.

The lid and bottom are next, and will be constructed with the box removed from the seat.

View attachment 2210

View attachment 2212 View attachment 2213 View attachment 2211

Really nice job Rick. Anxious to see more.

jond

Zen MBB Master
very interesting. and a whole lot of fun too. keep pushing the envelope . give me a bike . a man/woman cave. a little time and see what happens. brilliance . reckon a sheilah could spring up something just as nice. aka moose bag.

saw a pic somewhere recently of the cruzbike carbon storage. looked great.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Toying around with ideas for the lid and thinking about Jim Parker's great idea of storing the water bottles behind the head in his CF seat box, it seems like a no-brainier to me. The existing space seems to be over kill, but to utilize some the space for two bottle is perfect. I will build a wall on the inside to separate the 2 compartments and mount 2 cages on the front part of the wall for the bottles. The pic below is a mock up using abs as the lid, of course finished lid will be CF. For me it's easy access to reach behind my head and grab a bottle when needed. Currently in my soft shell aero bag, I'm storing the bottles inside the bag, requiring a stop and drink.

Vendetta-seat-box.jpg

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Toying around with ideas for the lid and thinking about Jim Parker's great idea of storing the water bottles behind the head in his CF seat box, it seems like a no-brainier to me. The existing space seems to be over kill, but to utilize some the space for two bottle is perfect. I will build a wall on the inside to separate the 2 compartments and mount 2 cages on the front part of the wall for the bottles. The pic below is a mock up using abs as the lid, of course finished lid will be CF. For me it's easy access to reach behind my head and grab a bottle when needed. Currently in my soft shell aero bag, I'm storing the bottles inside the bag, requiring a stop and drink.

Nice Rick - let me know when you are taking orders! :)
I will get out there to visit you one day, I really will. Jealous that Jason is close enough to drive to your place!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
You could make a whole trip of it and hang out with me and Rick before doing the 6-12-24hr worlds in November :)

Rick, I have a Bachetta Brain Box behind the seat on my V - in the same position that you are building your carbon fiber box. I don't use water bottles at all. I put a camelbak bladder in the box, and the end of the drink tube just sticks out just enough to grab it. When I want a drink, I pull the tube out, and I can easily push it back in when I'm done. Riding the whole time....it's a very easy reach. The water stays cold the entire ride. I much prefer this set up over bottles, as I can put my hands back on the handlebars while I drink. Give it a try before you commit all that space to water bottles.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
You could make a whole trip of it and hang out with me and Rick before doing the 6-12-24hr worlds in November :)
I'll keep it in mind, that would be fun. It looks like the date is not set yet either - hopefully they'll set it soon. I was also thinking of doing the Lake Taupo in New Zealand, which is scheduled for Nov. 26.