Change Quest 2.0 to 3.0?

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
For those who have ridden both the older full-suspension Quest and the rear-shock-only Quest 3.0 or QX100: How much difference is there in weight, handling, speed, etc. without the front suspension? Is there enough benefit to replacing the suspension fork with an unsuspended fork (assuming Cruzbike would sell me one) to make it worthwhile? Drawbacks?

Jeremy S

Dude
Is there enough benefit to replacing the suspension fork with an unsuspended fork (assuming Cruzbike would sell me one) to make it worthwhile? Drawbacks?

If the fork height is different (one would expect it to be without suspension), then the steering geometry will change, so you probably don't want to do that.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
If the fork height is different (one would expect it to be without suspension), then the steering geometry will change,
I don't think they changed the frame at all from Q2.0 to Q3.0, but instead chose a fork with a length that would compensate for not having the shock. I could be wrong, though.

Jeremy S

Dude
I don't think they changed the frame at all from Q2.0 to Q3.0, but instead chose a fork with a length that would compensate for not having the shock. I could be wrong, though.

Aha, looks like they did end up with a bunch of extra clearance after deleting the suspension (assuming these are both stock wheels). Guess you're right.

IMG_4141.jpg image_06.jpg

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
looks like they did end up with a bunch of extra clearance after deleting the suspension
Enough to squeeze a 700c in there if the tire isn't too wide/tall. There used to be a picture of someone's "Turbo Quest" with 700c wheels and drop bars on the old forums, but the picture didn't survive the forum changeover. Someone else, more recently, put 650B wheels on their Q3.0.

I'm just looking to lighten up the front end, and get rid of the pogo-ing when I push hard up a hill. I could lock out the front suspension as a test--I found instructions on an old thread--but if the shock adds a noticeable amount of weight, why not drop it altogether?

rfneep

So, I have a Q559 V2 (with front suspension) at my in-laws in CA, while I have a Q559 V3 here in WI. The difference in ride is large. The ride is much tighter with no pogoing and the front end feels significantly lighter on the V3. I have also fitted the V3 with 650B wheels and 42 mm tires, which would not work with the V2 suspended fork. That makes a smooth reasonably fast ride for a Q-series machine. If I had only the V2 here at home, I'd try to change the fork over if I could find one. Since I only use the V2 a few weeks out of the year, I've left it as it is for now.

Ray
---------------------------------
Quest 650B 3.0 (trail) or Quest 559/451 3.0 (commuter), Quest 559 2.0, Silvio S30

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
So, I have a Q559 V2 (with front suspension) at my in-laws in CA, while I have a Q559 V3 here in WI. The difference in ride is large. The ride is much tighter with no pogoing and the front end feels significantly lighter on the V3.
That's what I wanted to know. I remembered your Trail Quest, but had forgotten you also had a V2. Thanks!

rfneep

You know, I should be more careful in my comment on this. Much of the lightness of the front on my Q559 V3 is most likely due to the fact that I also got rid of the SRAM Dual Drive front hub, while it remains on my V2. I would still assert that the pogoing goes away when on a V3 without suspension, but I can't say whether the front feels lighter without the suspension fork. Sorry for the confusion.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Much of the lightness of the front on my Q559 V3 is most likely due to the fact that I also got rid of the SRAM Dual Drive front hub, while it remains on my V2. I would still assert that the pogoing goes away when on a V3 without suspension, but I can't say whether the front feels lighter without the suspension fork.
I have the DD, and plan to stick with it. Shifting while stopped/coasting has been of great benefit, and I like being able to adjust the front triangle without worrying about a front derailleur. I seem to remember that switching the S30 from suspended to unsuspended fork saved about 1 lb, but I don't have my google-search tuned right to find that post or blog or whatever yet.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
You know, I should be more careful in my comment on this. Much of the lightness of the front on my Q559 V3 is most likely due to the fact that I also got rid of the SRAM Dual Drive front hub, while it remains on my V2. I would still assert that the pogoing goes away when on a V3 without suspension, but I can't say whether the front feels lighter without the suspension fork. Sorry for the confusion.

It's lighter; I weighed it two years ago; if I recall it was 2/3 lb.

billyk

Guru
There are many factors affecting the "tightness" of the ride. One difference between older Q2s and newer ones (and the Q100) is the diameter of the boom and slider. I have an old one that came with the early thin boom and it was far from "tight". Robert sold me a new boom
/slider and it improved things dramatically. The whole bike is much more rigid now, especially under load (which is when you need to not be wasting effort bending metal).

@rfneep have you compared the booms on your two bikes? That could be the real story.

BK

Paruig

My Quest fork has developed rotational play in the suspension unit.
Has anyone here dismantled theirs?