chased by ....

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Doggies ain't so bad after all...
Don't know...... I would rather be chased by a photoshopped bear than a real dog

Bears run 40mph you don't out ride a bear on a mountain bike even if your name is Jason.

But it is a funny vid.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Highlight from today I was not chased by a bear.

Great footage!
Here's some data I've personally collected on actual dogs who have either chased or paced me:

-Slowest dog was the Chihuahua on the corner. He could duck under his fence and run with me at 16mph.
-fastest local dogs were the brace (two) of hound (Redbone?) puppies that I paced on the road in the car at 33mph.

Sighthounds are much faster of course, but I've never seen one loose.
Short-legged dogs like Basset hounds are probably pretty much the slowest.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Don't know...... I would rather be chased by a photoshopped bear than a real dog
Bears run 40mph you don't out ride a bear on a mountain bike even if your name is Jason.
But it is a funny vid.
Yeah - funny video - even though fake.
but --- if it where real - the bear could have just eaten the last bike and was kinda full, so he couldn't really run that fast
.. or ..
He really prefers recumbent cyclists because we have larger thighs (well - at least Ratz does) and taste better than DF riders! :eek:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Now I'm just reminded of the large dog that starting chasing me at Calvins this last year. It was around mile 20-21.
I doubt if there is any footage of the actual dog (but his teeth where within 6 inches of taking a bite out of my right arm.
But you might hear me yelling at him, and I'll bet you see a spike in my wattage and HR.
Will go searching in my archives now.. :)

mzweili

Guru
Canadian dogs don't run after you ;-) they are only barking.
Personally I would rather stop, stand upright and have a good shout at the dog.
I believe this would take all the fun out of his chasing.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Yes, this is what I do.
When the dog is serious, I stop and use the bike as a barrier... and defuse the situation with my green "alien" squeaky toy.
When the chasing stops because I stop, all the fun of the chase stops which usually works!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

Stopping and getting big does work, but in this case I was not sure it was a dog until after I had pull away; all I knew was that something very large, furry black and disturbingly quiet, was in my peripheral vision.