Coast Guard Century - July 26, 2015

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I did the 100-mile ride for the Coast Guard festival today. It was a nice 61 degrees when I rode out from my house. After a couple of hours into the ride it really started to heat up. The only time we felt it was when we slowed down - so we kept on riding hard and stayed cool. I was following the lead group of about 11 riders for a while. Then the lead group started to break up and, before the halfway point, there were only two of us left! So we kept on pushing high speed and trading pulls. The other guy is a strong rider from the Thursday night A rides. He said he got enough of a draft off of me to make a difference. We just pounded the pedals for miles and miles. Toward the end, he was starting to hurt, so I pulled most of the the last 15 miles or so and got us back to town. My legs were feeling like pistons, but I held off just enough to not drop the other guy. The fact that he held on while I was pushing the speed for long distance, says a lot about how strong the guy is. I was hoping he wouldn't blow up, and he didn't. He's a real trooper. But at the end, he was laying on the floor with his feet up on a chair. He really was feeling it after all. It's that outdated technology that did him in. So, I initially had ridden from home to the ride's start, and I didn't have accurate data for the ride part of my total miles. But, according to his data (based on GPS), our ride time was 4 hours and 33 minutes. That's cooking with gas!