Columbia River Gorge Tour on my S30

Suz

If you haven’t experienced a multi-day cycling tour, I highly recommend it. June 20-27th I took a 7 day 377 mile fully supported tour on my S30 around Oregon and Washington. The tour started and ended in Gresham, OR. and was through Adventure Cycling Tours.

I can sum it up as the most refreshing, challenging, relaxing vacation I’ve ever taken. Other than riding from point A to point B, you were completely taken care of. The scenery was spectacular; the weather although hot was outstanding for riding – sunshine with no rain.

I have NO pain from the trip. People at work are asking if I’m sore and I myself am shocked to say I’m not. Me of all people, I’m sore all the time from my back issues. LOL. I actually feel better from the week long work out.

This particular tour was full of mountains. While not over most of your capabilities, it was over mine with only 2 months into my Silvio experience and only 4 months back into cycling. The main problem was the previous 14 years I had taken off from cycling, not the mere 2 months on the Silvio. The Silvio was a champ.

I learned a lot about my riding and how to tackle mountains using your advice and my body’s feedback. I finally settled into a great pedal/breathing/handle bar pull motion that worked. However if I was distracted for even a few seconds it took quite a bit of energy to pull it back together on the climbs. My heartrate told me when my cadence was too high, so I had to modify that to last longer on the hills. But all this is mainly because I’m out of shape.
I can see with practice that I will make it up these mountains when I get into better cardio/overall shape and get my recumbent muscles up to speed.

You learn a lot when you ride 4-6 hrs a day. There is a lot of time to figure out how to change it up and make it work. When I focused on my breath/pedal/pull method my wobbling on hills was drastically reduced. There were a lot of chances to work on uphill starts. I tackled the climbs whether by foot or by peddle and got noticeably better as the week went on, taking the advice of the crew on this forum.
Downhills – OH MY GOSH are SO fun. I was accused of having rocket launchers once and told I moved downhill like lightning another time. I had to have an advantage somewhere. Ha!

The tour was a success on all fronts.
  1. I wanted a challenge – GOT THAT+.
  2. I got to talk about my Cruzbike, had LOTS of conversations throughout the week regarding the configuration, impact on the body and just random bike nerd talk.
  3. I wanted a thrust back into riding. Yep, uh huh, I probably could have taken a less challenging ride for that. Ha. But where’s the fun in that?
  4. I was inspired by the elderly riders on the trip. People in their 70’s still cycling up gnarly mountains and having a blast.

Random Thoughts/Day: I'll attach a picture of the daily elevation.

Day 1: Registration: I see skinny people.

Day 2: You’ve got to be kidding! I’m going to die. It sure is pretty. Daisies!

Day 3: Hey, at least I can start peddling on this mountain. Why is my braid wet? The beauty is astounding. There’s Mt. Hood again, how did it get back there? Damn RV’s.

Day 4: Ah, 9 flat miles along the river. I could handle this view every morning. Oh crap – really? That hill? Ha ha ha ha ha, where’s the truck? (To be fair, I tried. I had no movement forward … )

Day 5: Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous. Recumbents rule in the wind! Riding the windy Columbia river gorge. Wind is my friend.

Day 6: Where am I? There’s Mt. Hood again. Wait a minute, what Mt. is that? Hey, I made it up that pass! HYDRATE! Heat exhaustion. 102°F, but it’s a “dry heat”.
Hydrate
Hydrate
Hydrate

Day 7: Uh oh why did I hydrate? Thank goodness for shade – 100+ again! Oh - pretty water fall. Ah, relaxing water noises coming from the woods. Um, how many miles to the rest room? So if I hurry I could use the outdoor “fern room” before another rider shows up. Why did I drink 90oz of water last night? Please please please don’t let anyone drive by. :oops:

I’m being lapped by a fly. I’m riding slower than a fly. IT’S UPHILL – leave me alone. What is dripping from my braid? Eww, that’s sweat. Should I be proud of sweat dripping from my braid? Yes!!

DOWNHILLS ROCK.

I DID IT – I TACKLED YOU, YOU NASTY BEAUTIFUL MOUNTAIN, WHOOT WHOOT. (They may have heard me yelling at camp.)

Day 8: This can’t be over. So proud! Best vacation EVER. So satisfied. Hmm, I’m not sore … anywhere. Icing on the cake. The last day was a day full of majestic water falls, gorgeous paths/highways and a “relatively” flat ride back to Gresham.

Day 1 back at work: Why is everyone so grumpy?

Since it’s taken so long to write my ride report, I’ve been riding my regular route. Easy peasy. Wow, it was fun taking a full minute off the hill I hate most, that I like now. Got PR’s on lots of other segments and made my friend whine in pain. Hee hee. Now if I could take a week off every month and ride all day, every day life would be good.

It’s shocking how much improvement was made over that week, way more than I realized because of the challenging daily rides. But now that I'm home it’s very noticeable. My wobbles are virtually gone and it’s time to find more challenging rides, and oh, I’m way more addicted now to my Silvio.:D

Pics:
IMG_3233a.jpg

IMG_3083a.jpg

IMG_3085a.jpg IMG_3090a.jpg

IMG_3098a.jpg

IMG_3109a.jpg

IMG_3121a.jpg

IMG_3125a.jpg

IMG_3149a.jpg

IMG_3130a.jpg

Last edited:

Suz

A big THANK YOU to Robert at Rose City Recumbents for a tune up before the ride and helping me with my bike rack dilemma. It was a pleasure meeting you, Julie and Jonathon at the shop. My Silvio rode beautifully the entire trip.
So why didn't we get a picture together??

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I wonder if your tour is the one that got our van? Was the van fresh from the Atlantic Coast tour?
Looks gorgeous. Awesome that ACA got to see two S30s on tour this year (at least)!

Reactions: Suz

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey Suz, what an incredible experience you had! The S30 looks magnificent. I am interested with the set up you have with the headrest, it looks compact and very neat hydration system what ever it is.

Suz

I wonder if your tour is the one that got our van? Was the van fresh from the Atlantic Coast tour?
This tour rented all their vans, so maybe not. How was the Atlantic coast tour?

That there is my dream, the ultimate ride!
Yes Rick, it definitely lived up to the dream. About half the group was retired or had jobs with summers off, a mix of couples and individuals, and now that I saw the age group, I can tell you there is plenty of time to live out your dream. :)

I am interested with the set up you have with the headrest
David, the hydration system probably looks better on a picture than it really was. It was great once set up, but re-filling it was cumbersome. I cut up my old camelback back pack and put it on backwards behind the headrest. Which did work well. The only problem is that when the bladder is full, the pack sinks down near my tire, so I had to secure it with a Velcro strap to keep it in place which makes it a pain to refill. On the picture shown, I had moved the bladder to the pack underneath the seat, which made it easier to re-fill. It's something that needs improvement, but it was great having a lot of water.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
This tour rented all their vans, so maybe not. How was the Atlantic coast tour?

It had its good and bad points. They need to redo the route from northern FL through the Carlolinas, as those states have destroyed the ability of bikes to ride on the shoulders of the roads of the routes by gouging foot-and-a-half wide rumble strips along most of the roads (which just happened to be busy with logging and dump trucks).

The ride leaders we ended with were great, and most of the people gelled nicely. From, say, Virginia on up through Maine the beauty just kept getting more and more beautiful and enjoyable.
Everyone but me (not counting ride leaders) was retired, so I can concur with you, Suz, that lots of retirees are living the dream!

BentAero

Glad you had a great time, Suz. I know you were very apprehensive going in.
I agree, multi-day tours where someone else hauls your luggage are the best!
This year Cycle North Carolina 'overnights' only one mile from where I work, soooo, I guess I'll be taking vac days the remainder of that week...
Make the trip east and come and join us!

Suz

They need to redo the route from northern FL through the Carlolinas, as those states have destroyed the ability of bikes to ride on the shoulders of the roads of the routes by gouging foot-and-a-half wide rumble strips along most of the roads (which just happened to be busy with logging and dump trucks).
I only had one experience with rumble strips, we had to ride on the main highway for a short time - I couldn't believe how hard it was to control the bike plus you get your head beat up on the headrest unless you hold you head up.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
I only had one experience with rumble strips, we had to ride on the main highway for a short time - I couldn't believe how hard it was to control the bike plus you get your head beat up on the headrest unless you hold you head up.
Yeah, but the rumble strips allow people to text more safely while they drive their cars...nyuk nyuk.

jond

Zen MBB Master
fantastic achievement and experience. keep at it and your back issues with core strength improving will be a thing of the past. well done on those serious hilly mountains thingos. thanks for the ride report and pics. it does not get any better than this. what a beautiful ride and to have such great weather too. so very scenic. start planning the next one suz. dont stop riding. it is so good for you , me and us all . cheers. got to start planning myself.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
What a GREAT write up and I am SO glad the S30 performed well! Looking at that route map - it seems as evil as the 2014 Cycle Oregon route - YIKES! When you are in Portland again don't forget to stop by and say hello again.

:)

Robert

Suz

I know you were very apprehensive going in.
... Make the trip east and come and join us!
Yes, I was apprehensive going in, but you should have seen my face driving to Gresham. I was petrified! Lot's of self talk in the car ... "what have you done" "oh my, the sweep guy is gonna hate you", "Well, can't back out now". I'm so glad there was a family on the trip - they stopped for lots of pictures, pine cones, etc. Whew!

NC would be a blast! It will be on my list for "someday". :)