Combining fitness trackers with cycling computers

AlexisBV

Hi all,

I'm considering getting one of those fitness tracking thingamajigs (fitbit, vivofit, etc) in order to get a better picture of how active I am and how well I'm sleeping and recovering from workouts.

What I'm not clear on is on how well these things play with using a bike computer that records power and heart rate. More specifically, say I'm using a Garmin tracker on my wrist, and train using the Edge computer reading from an HR strap. Will Garmin Connect realise that it's the same activity, or will my calories spent be calculated (and counted) twice? What if it's not a Garmin fitness tracker, but from some other brand?

Or should I take off the fitness tracker when riding with HR/power? I'm under the impression that an HR strap is more reliable than a wrist-worn device, and I cannot imagine a fitness tracker replacing something as complete as an Edge 1000 on the road...

What are your thoughts and/or practices?

Cruzbike Chris

I have a Garmn 1000 and use it for every bike ride. I also have a Garmin Vivoactive HR for monitoring my sleep, HR and activity like you desire. I only use (start) my Vivo HR when not using the 1000, I.e. when walking hiking or paddle boarding. After you get done and near your phone, if not with you, it all syncs back to your Garmin account over the air and if you elect your Strava and other apps as well.

Another words, don't use both device or start an activity on both. O need to take it off. However, if you want to wear another HR monitor on your chest you can monitor both but only sync one to that activity.

That's my way! Hope that helps....

AlexisBV

Thanks Chris! I'm still wondering though, even if you don't start an activity on the vivoactive, it's still collecting hr data. When you sync everything to Connect, does Connect realize the Edge data overlaps the Vivoactive data and use only one for the calorie summary of the day? Or does it sum everything up?

Cruzbike Chris

The Vivoactive HR does not "record" HR all the time, only during an activity. Hence no overlap for HR. It does total up your normal movement and activities for calories burnt, as you say. Using your app you can enable MyFitmessPal to sync and track your calorie intake.

AlexisBV

It does total up your normal movement and activities for calories burnt, as you say.

And therein lies my concern - it's still tallying up while I'm on the bike, I assume based on HR. To better illustrate what I'm trying to convey:

Let's say I wear a vivofit or similar during the whole day without starting any activities. During the day I burn 1500 calories going about my routine. However, at the end of the day I do a workout with the Edge using a power meter or trainer that calculates that I've spent 500 calories during the workout. I do not start an activity on the vivofit, and just leave it there on my wrist.

What will Garmin Connect tell me at the end of the day? That I spent 2000 (tracker ignored workout + Edge), or 2500 (tracker included workout + Edge)?

I'd hope it's smart enough to not sum up calorie data from multiple devices for the same time period, but I'm not so sure.

Cruzbike Chris

Call Garmin tech support, they are great. I have them in my phone have called several times for assistance on my devices over the years.