Comment box edit buttons are not showing up in some versions of Google Chrome

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Just an FYI,

I typically use the Dev Channel of Google Chrome and either after a Chrome update or a Cruzbike website update, the edit buttons in the comment controls are still there but not entirely visible. I can hover the mouse over a blank area and the tooltip will tell me what the edit control is but I can't see it.

Google Chrome Version 29.0.1521.3 dev screenshots:

AWOL%20Edit%20Buttons%201.png height:205px; width:924px

AWOL%20Edit%20Buttons%202.png height:107px;

The controls display correctly in Firefox v21.0:

Edit%20Buttons%20Good%20in%20Firefox.png height:188px; width:946px

-Eric

currystomper

Comment edit boxes

That explains why I can't edit some of my posts!! I always get typo's in my posts (you may have noticed them!!) and only see tem when I have posted, so the edit button is something I value!!

CS

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I have the same problem on my

I have the same problem on my old version of Chrome (and not on my new version of Firefox).

I find the interface on this forum to be somewhat annoying compared to most other forums:

* Turns off browser spell checker for forum version that can't learn words (and still things Cruzbike is misspelled).

* Must remember to turn on spell checker

* Can't edit post unless you are original author (and then still quite limited).

* When I log in now, it no longer returns to the forum. I now have to go back several pages and reload (this used to work but stopped several months ago).

I realize that this Forum isn't the main point of Cruzbike.com (unlike BikeForums.net or BROL) and so may very well not be worth fixing these things. But I thought I'd mention them just in case...

Jeremy S

Dude
same thing

Just noticed that I'm seeing the same thing in Chrome 27.0.1453.110 (release version) for OS X.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
So, Olga replies as below.

So, Olga replies as below. She is very direct in her comments. I also asked her to address Charles questions.

It is an issue with Chrome browser. Let Eric Winn install the last dev version where the issue is fixed. I cannot reproduce the issue both with the last stable Chrome 27 (installed by default) and 29 (installed from Chromium project) versions and with the last 29-dev version (installed from Chromium project). In attachment there is a screenshot from Chrome 29.0.1530.2 dev-m (Win OS 7/64x).

Actually I do not understand why do people use an old "stable" browser version when a new stable version with fixed bugs is available.

1. Users can edit/delete their forum comments (buttons in the post bottom).

2. Spellshecker is turned on by default.

3. To edit post use Edit tab under the post title.

4. When user loggs in on a forum page they are redirected to the login page and then to a previous forum page.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
It is an issue with Chrome

It is an issue with Chrome browser. Let Eric Winn install the last dev version where the issue is fixed. I cannot reproduce the issue both with the last stable Chrome 27 (installed by default) and 29 (installed from Chromium project) versions and with the last 29-dev version (installed from Chromium project). In attachment there is a screenshot from Chrome 29.0.1530.2 dev-m (Win OS 7/64x).

Actually I do not understand why do people use an old "stable" browser version when a new stable version with fixed bugs is available.

1. Users can edit/delete their forum comments (buttons in the post bottom).

2. Spellshecker is turned on by default.

3. To edit post use Edit tab under the post title.

4. When user loggs in on a forum page they are redirected to the login page and then to a previous forum page.

1. and 3. Hey! There's now an edit button. That is so cool!

2. When I'm now posting this, the spell checker is turned on by default, nice! (although Olga's wasn't as she misspelled spell checker . :D) I still wish the browser spell checker would be allowed to work as I have my own dictionary there (and when I save words to the forum spell checker, it only seems to lasts for that post).

4. When I go to the forum page and then click login, I'm sent as expected to the login page where the address even says "redirect=forum" (or something like that). And it used to be that I was indeed redirected to the (reloaded) forum page. Now I just get my profile where I then have to go back a couple pages to the forum page and then I have to reload it because it shows all of the posts instead of the just ones I haven't read. (This is a slightly annoying bug and not a pulling my hair out bug).

Thanks!
Charles

Edit: I have successfully edited this post!!!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
BTW CKEditor demo works fine

BTW CKEditor demo works fine in my version of Chrome so I suspect something may be amiss with the Cruzbike.com configuration...

http://ckeditor.com/demo

Yay! the post edit function works. But the edit buttons are still mangled.

I tried cleaning out all of my cruzbike.com cookies to see if that had an effect - it did not:

CruzbikeEditButtonProblem.png height:717px;

-Eric

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Check Chrome Settings

Chrome users may want to check their browser settings to see if that is what is blocking some functionality. In my case it looks like the spell checker is hosted on a 3rd party site from cruzbike.com and is blocked.

NOTE: Blocking 3rd party cookies tends to be the default for many browsers.

On the page where you are having problems, right click and select View page info:

chrome-view-page-info.png

Then, click on show cookies and site data:

cruzbike-cookies-and-site-data.png

Then click the tab for Blocked Cookies. You can expand the various nodes to see what is there. In this case there are no values stored because they are currently blocked.

Note the spell checker appears to be provided as a third party web service and is blocked. Clicking the
Allow button should enable this to work for this site .

cruzbike-blocked-cookies(1).png

So now the SpellCheckAsYouType is allowed:

cruzbike-spell-checker-allowed.png

Seems a little slow but that may be because I am running from Mac OS X at home using a Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection for Mac via my company VPN to connect to my Windows 7 machine at work to test this...

It did not prompt for the mis-spelling I used until after I uploaded the Allowed cookie image above (probably RDP - VPN latency as I mentioned).

Bad spelling detected:

cruzbike-spellshecker-detected.png

Right clicked for suggestions (and mis-spelled click while typing and was prompted immediately...):

cruzbike-spellshecker-suggestions-with-advertisement.png

More suggestions:

cruzbike-spellshecker-fix-choice.png

And fixed:

cruzbike-spellshecker-fixed.png

Hope that helps some of you.

BTW, I love the CKEditor plugin. I can select a word and hit CTRL+B on Windows or COMMAND(flower)+B on my Mac to bold something, etc. Very nice.

BTW, there is also an enumeration ordering problem. Note how the tool tips are out of sync with the images that are working:

cruzbike-button-mangle-1.png
cruzbike-button-mangle-2.png

-Eric

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Well I mentioned I was

Well I mentioned I was running the dev branch because I expect it to have problems at times since it is the dev branch and not the stable branch but since I was also seeing it in the (stable) Chrome iOS I thought I would mention it. I have also reported it to the Chrome team in case it is a Chrome issue but from some similar issues reported in the Drupal forums and the correct functioning of the CKEditor demo still suggests a problem on the server side.

My original post was referencing Chrome on Mac OS X which at the time was running Version 29.0.1530.3 dev but is currently running Version 29.0.1530.4 dev.

I also see this problem on the stable version of Chrome for iOS, currently Version 27.0.1453.10 and on Windows 7 Pro x32 Chrome (stable) Version 29.0.1530.2 dev-m

I confirmed all platforms were current. I also tested the Windows version by clearing my cruzbike.com cookies as you can see in an edited (thank you getting edits working!) post above.

Querystring redirection worked fine for me - as a part of my cookie clearing test I first went to the Forum Home page and then hit login and was successfully redirected back to the Forum Home page.

I also did another test - logged out. Went to a random forum page, hit login and was returned to the same page so redirection seems to work OK.

If I can find some time, I'll try running through Fiddler or another web debugging proxy and see if I can figure out what may be happening.

Since the buttons still function, just the images for them are mangled, it suggests an image caching issue of some sort. Hmmmm, it might still be a Chrome issue - I think I'll go and try to find out how they are making mobile bookmarks work, it suggests a theory to me...

PS - Since John posted for Olga, it may be John's spelling depending on how he posted Olga's comments....

-Eric

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Clearing the cache resolves button image problems

OK, clearing the browser cache fixes my Chrome button image problem.

cruzbike-cached-buttons.png height:409px; width:1021px

cruzbike-clear-cache.png height:452px; width:783px

Buttons fixed:

cruzbike-cache-cleared-fixes-edit-buttons.png  width:963px

My take is a change on the server side did not accommodate for cache expiration settings so some of the images in my cache worked and most did not. Theoretically, having correct cache expiration settings on new and changed images on the server should cause the browser cache to update automatically but when this doesn't happen you have to clear the cache manually.

-Eric

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
These Posts Explain a LOT!

Thank you, all.

Until very recently, I was running a three year old version of OS X on my SEVEN year old iMac.

It's a miracle that this thing runs at all and it impresses me that this iMac
runs the newer Snow Leopard - OS X 10.6.8 I recently installed as well as it does....

Running the old OS X, I did not even suspect that many of the tools mentioned
-'Edit," for example-
even existed.

Now, they appear. (!)

The reason I'm contributing to this thread?
To run the most up-to-date browsers, you must be using a modern Operating System.
My older, 16-bit OS X could not run the newest versions of Chrome, Firefox or even (shudder) Safari.
So I upgraded to the newest 32-bit OS X that my little 2Meg. iMac could handle.
Problems... not solved, exactly, but held at bay for the time being!

Again, thank you, everyone.

-Steve