Conversion time?

Bryanmcn

How fast can a dual suspension mountain bike be converted to a Cruzbike with their kit?
I'm in Atlantic Canada. I'll be flying to Florida next spring. If I took just the kit, bought a Wally world bike, converted it to a Cruzbike, rode it for 10 days, converted it back and donated the bike, it would be cheaper then flying my own down or renting one down there.
Right?
So how long does a conversion take? An hour? Two hours?

Are there any videos / instructions on conversions. I can't find any on youtube.
I have a lot of old parts and frames so the plan would be to practice a few conversions here. My guess is that the BB and one crank (ring side?) could be preinstalled along with the big ring deraileur . The handle bar could be prepared with brakes, shifters and their cables and the handlebar attached to the steerer extension tube. Would this speed things up or am I missing a big time consuming task?

defjack

Zen MBB Master
   I have done some

I have done some conversions and did 7 or 8 frames with the same kit.The first one is the hardest and can take up to a week .Once the first one is built its easy to leave the front triangle togather and transfer it to another frame. It can take an hour or 2 as long as the seat fits ok and cables dont need to be cut.I think the whole kit would fit in a suit case just fine. Jack

Bryanmcn

Thanks Jack
Any special

Thanks Jack
Any special tricks or suggestions to speeding things up? I have several frames I can practice with.

BobD

Fork without braze-ons

It will be much easier if you start off with a fork that is clean....no braze-ons for brakes on the forks that need filing down. Also check and see if there is plenty of clearance for the size wheel/tire you are going to use if in fact you are using a bare frame....without wheels/components already on it.

If you haven't yet checked out the archives of the Conversion and Conversion Brag Forums there are loads of pictures that I really found helpful. I also found it helpful to take a look at the building manuals for the Silvio.....Quest and Sofrider.....good tips and similar issues. I just completed a V2/K kit and really enjoyed building it.

btw: you might consider ordering a V2/K kit and building it at home. You can then take it all apart.....as the frame would surely fit into a suitcase. Let us know how you go!
Enjoy....

good build trick

BEFOR CABLING.............. when build is complete, remove wheels and hanger. Now have bike upright on carpet and sit in bike. This is a very good place now to adjust to most comfortable handle bar position by setting seat forward or backward. This includes rotating handle bars. Having your arms slightly bent. NOW with feet on peddles adjust leg length by telescopic link. THE bike is set for cabling to near on the best to suit you and will also be thus for any frame you then put kit on. I use this method when building Silvio and Vendetta. I too have swapped kits to other frames and a couple of hours for me going just steady pace.

best, Kim.