Conversion to Silvio 1.0

hurri47

After a year and a half gaining MBB/FWD confidence riding my Cannondale conversion, I finally came across a Silvio 1.0 with my name on it. I've only been on it about a hundred miles so far (including twenty-five miles on the first day, in heavy bike traffic at the Tour de Palm Springs), and yesterday I matched my best speed (set on a Challenge Fujin lowracer) over a flat thirty-mile loop.

As you can see, I'm dealing with anticipated traction problems by loading up the boom with heavy objects like a headlight, a pump, and a frame bag to increase the forward weight bias. (<-- joke) The little Sunlite bag is under two inches thick and it mounts with no interference anywhere just like it was made for this application. I don't think it's in their current catalog (it's an Epic Tour Small), but I found one locally after studying every seat and frame bag in town. Recommended.

For weather changes requiring extra clothing, I have a set of Radical Design saddlebags that hang off the back of the seat (they also fit the lowracer and the Euromesh seat on my Barcroft Virginia), but I don't want to lug them around every day.

alt="dan's silvio 1.0"
silvio_loaded(1).JPG

I photographed the Silvio and my old conversion in the same orientation for comparison purposes. I sit five or six inches lower on the Silvio, but my hands are nearly the same height on both. My hip angle is actually more open on the conversion, due mostly to the 100mm extension Hal installed on the Silvio, but I'm comfortable in either position, and if I remove the extension my hands will go even higher. The curved boom in all the newer models was clearly the right way to go.

I also have slightly more recline on the conversion, from back in the days I was trying to get my arms straighter. Neither bike will fit upright in the back of my minivan, so now that I've given up that battle, maybe I can straighten up the conversion seat a bit to see what happens.

alt="cannondale final"
cannondale_conversion_final.JPG

I am loving my Cruzbikes! I have an eclectic collection of seven other recumbents, but on the increasingly rare occasions I take one out, I am frustrated at the necessity of forcing my upper body to remain calm and useless. In an unheard-of development, I am probably going to let a few of them go. Then like a vulture on a fence, I will wait for somebody to dangle a Silvio 2 in front of me.

-Dan

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I started with a conversion

I started with a conversion which had quite a high seat. I got rid of it when I got the Silvio2 (You can't have it, by the way). I found the Silvio easier to ride than the conversion. The seat-height and recline of the S are the same as the Grasshopper, which I still use. People keep talking about learning to ride MBB, but differences in seat-height are a bigger issue for me, because it changes the way the bike leans.

Liam in Ireland

Traction problems

Hi Dan,
Thanks for posting pictures of your Silvio. You refer to carrying weight on the front in anticipation of ?traction problems. This is actually an issue when going up steep hills - an issue which for some reason doesn't seem to get much attention on the forum.

Now excuse me while I search online for your recommended bag..........

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Liam,I do find that

Hi Dan and Liam,

Dan: Awesome! I'll be very curious to hear about your comparisons between your conversion and the Silvio.

I do find that sitting up helps a lot on (short) quite steep hills. Clearly, if the hill is steep enough, you're going to have issues regardless, but I've gone up some doozies (and I suck at starting on steep hills). (Getting wider, lower pressure tires might help as well).

Cheers,
Charles

hurri47

Future of the conversion

I know I should sell the conversion and give somebody else a chance to try out Cruzbikes on a budget like I did. It has served its purpose introducing me to MBB/FWD, and I can't fit a larger front tire on it to make it a good rail/trail bike (clearance at the fork crown is under 5mm), but I still ride it and enjoy it.

Its best use case for the conversion now is a little ironic. When I started with it, I said, "I can sort of see how it will be possible eventually to ride this beast, but it will never be a bike I hop on to nip down to the cafe for breakfast." However, I am doing more and more of exactly that. The current use of the Silvio is to stay up near the front of the pack of DF riders I often go with, instead of having to catch up on the downhills like with my RWD recumbents. Heh.

I may not be trying hard enough, but the only wheelspin I have induced on either bike is in starting off from a dead stop, even on pavement. Starts are much easier on the lighter Silvio, and the trick seems to be using a high enough gear and easing on the torque slowly. I'm still working that out.

-Dan

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Exactly my experience.  In

Exactly my experience. In the early days, starting from a dead stop was usually a traumatic experience. I would usually harangue the bike at length, telling it it was going in the skip, and pointing out the merits of the Grasshopper, and raining curses on John Tolhurst.

I wish to apologise to the bike and Mr T, and say that his engineering is vindicated and he is very clever. It goes like a catapult. No spin except in mud, sometimes. Why did I persist? I am glad I did.