Converting Quest 559 to 406

Jeffyboy

Hi I have a Quest 559, has the SRAM DualDrive and solid front fork.
My partner and I are planning a Cycling trip to Japan next Spring and I wanted to take the Quest.
From what I have read on the forums it doesn't sound like the Quest will fit into a standard luggage case with the 559 wheels, so I was thinking of building a set of 406s so that it can fit as standard luggage and I can avoid the exorbitant oversize fees. I think 406 makes more sense than 451 as there is greater tire selection.
I have never changed wheel sizes on a bike before so thought I would seek some advice on what to consider.
I am planning on getting another DualDrive hub as I am quite happy with the current setup of the bike
Has the Elliptical 42T chainring with an 11-28 cassette on the back. I have thought about changing the cassette to an 11-32 for some of the bigger climbs when fully loaded.
Will changing wheel sizes have a noticeable effect on the current gearing setup?
Will the rear derailleur have enough clearance for the larger cog?
Can I leave the current fork on the bike or would that need to be swapped out as well? I would think the current fork would be fine as the bike has disc brakes, so I wouldn't think that would matter.
The only other thing I can think of is the fact that smaller wheels will mean I'm a little lower to the ground, (about 3 inches?) but if my current distance between the bottom bracket and the front wheel axle doesn't change (and I don't think it will, will it?) than I should have a good 10 inches of clearance for my cranks and about 4 inches for the rear derailleur.
Any and all advice/considerations would be so appreciated.
Thanks in advance

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
  1. 11-36T is the max the Dual Drive derailleur can handle so 11-32T is fine.
  2. You could switch to a short chain stay to make the bike more packable ( have a couple in the spares bin if you can't locate one)
  3. Smaller wheels equals lower gearing equals better climbing
  4. fork doesn't change

Jeffyboy

Wow thanks for the quick reply ratz!
I appreciate the answers with explanations.
The current chainstay is about 14.5" so I think it will pack fine and I want to mess with the setup as little as possible as I like the feel. I have monkeyed around moving seat and angle and boom length over several months and believe I have finally found the ideal set up.
Once I get the new wheels on I will post how it went.
Thanks