Core temperature

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Today I had the interesting idea of core temperature associated with fatigue and hydration. It all goes together in a strange correlation. There must be different thresholds or barriers that the body has to deal with and I guess it's associated with what you wear too. I was on the mountain bike today and I felt more zonked than when I am on the Vendetta. Just wondered if anybody had monitored heat dissapation with a helmet sensor associated to heartbeat and wattage. That would make interesting reading. I guess the hotter you are the more you should drink. There has to be an optimum in every given moment. Just curious.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Today's 65 mile commute home over a hot 100deg mountain was harsh and had me on the verge of cramping. My mistake was hydration related starting with 20 min stop to replace the tube in the front tire of the vendetta while baking in the sun. Changing a front tube on the vendetta is enough to make me want to grab the whole bike and chuck it off the Mt. Last 30 mins I could feel the first signs of heat exhaustion but now I'm inside and drinking plenty of water.

DavidCH

Today's 65 mile commute home over a hot 100deg mountain was harsh and had me on the verge of cramping. My mistake was hydration related starting with 20 min stop to replace the tube in the front tire of the vendetta while baking in the sun. Changing a front tube on the vendetta is enough to make me want to grab the whole bike and chuck it off the Mt. Last 30 mins I could feel the first signs of heat exhaustion but now I'm inside and drinking plenty of water.
That's a right pain doing that. That's happened to me twice and that's the biggest reason I went tubeless. Second time around I decided to find some shade to change the friggin inner tube.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
That's a right pain doing that. That's happened to me twice and that's the biggest reason I went tubeless. Second time around I decided to find some shade to change the friggin inner tube.

A lot easier with a rear derailleur with no wires that you can just removed. :)

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I HATE flats. Really hard to get my Grasshopper's back wheel on, because the Rohloff axle-plate always twiddles round the wrong way while I am trying to get the chain-tensioner round the right way. The only reason I have not chucked both bikes off a mountain is that I have never been up a mountain. Both bikes know this, because I told them.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Most of us can relate - changing the front tire is no picnic. My worse experience was kind of "opposite" of yours at least from the "heat index" aspect. It happened to me a on an extremely "cold and rainy" day. I actually got to flats that day - I was about ready to scream - and throw the bike! You did not mention any road rash, so glad you are OK!

ratz

Most of us can relate - changing the front tire is no picnic. My worse experience was kind of "opposite" of yours at least from the "heat index" aspect. It happened to me a on an extremely "cold and rainy" day. I actually got to flats that day - I was about ready to scream - and throw the bike! You did not mention any road rash, so glad you are OK!

One take away from the retreat was that it makes a big different if the front triangle is square. Back in the comfort of the home; if you remove the front wheel; you should be able to hold on to the boom with the bike nose in the air and the triangle should stay together; if it comes appart then it is not square. If you get it to square it's a lot easier to change the front wheel; although I still think it's a lot easier if your remove the chain first.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy

Flat was noticed on the climb when all of a sudden I was having a hell of a time holding a strait line. I was thinking to myself "did I suddenly forget how to balance or do I have a flat front tire" . With both my hands in a somewhat comprimised state I could only get my tire back up to about 60 psi so I was extra careful going back down the mountain because it felt really soft in the corners.

DavidCH

A lot easier with a rear derailleur with no wires that you can just removed. :)
Gosh.... I can see now why you spent so much! I was reading about the setting up of those derailleurs and it can be done in a minute or so.

DavidCH

I usually take a couple of plastic ties with me which I secure the frame to derailleur to fork. That way when I take the front wheel out I usually have enough time to get the axle back in before the derailleur gives way. Then I can take my time repairing the wheel. It hasn't happened to me for ages.

DavidCH

This is probably one of the best sentences I have ever read...

Increased skin blood flow is problematic for an endurance athlete because less blood is available to working muscles and vital organs such as the heart, making exercise more difficult.

and another tip...
What i find most useful when running ultras in hot weather while wearing compression shorts, is to put a handful of ice down my compression shorts in my groin area. It seems to really cool my core quickly!

Last edited:

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
This is probably one of the best sentences I have ever read...

Increased skin blood flow is problematic for an endurance athlete because less blood is available to working muscles and vital organs such as the heart, making exercise more difficult.

and another tip...
What i find most useful when running ultras in hot weather while wearing compression shorts, is to put a handful of ice down my compression shorts in my groin area. It seems to really cool my core quickly!
I remember reading in a textbook about studies done with slushies. They drop the core temp very quickly, which greatly improves performance. But you have to drink it, not pour it down your shorts. :)

Last edited:

ratz

I'm gonna say this and get in trouble again. I've mentioned this it before but do not recall anyone actually testing it and coming back saying it doesn't work. Ya'll don't have to be such girly-men when changing a Silvio/ Vendetta tire. Lay the bike on its side (cassette up). Sit down beside it. Pop the brake tension lever and remove the quick release pin. Give the tire a good wack to release it from the drops. Ease the tire farther down until you can gently drop the chain from around the cassette. Yes, it is much easier with the Sram lock thingie but easy enough without it. Slide the tire out without disturbing the chain or any part of the front triangle. Just leave the chain and everything else just as it is. If your triangle came apart you got unlucky. Fix this later it it doesn't matter.

Repair the tire. Now slide the tire back in the drops sliding the chain back around the cassette as you go while the bike sits on its side. Now pop your triangle back together if you happened to be unlucky and it came apart. A little practice and this becomes easy to prevent. Replace the quick release. Stand the bike up and tighten the quick release making sure everything is aligned correctly. Tighten the brake cable tension tab. Confirm the tire is still aligned properly. Now ride away in a manly fashion, ride like hail if you're Rojo. Fixing the flat while the bike is on its side eliminates a lot of the problems of parts getting twisted up and the bike flopping around. It really is easy-peasy. Try it and if I'm wrong let me know (of course I'll pull a BROL'er and just say you're doing it wrong).

Careful I'm going to draft you for the 2017 RAAM crew as official changer of wheel; and tubeless fluid injector. You have no place for the 10 days we need you right?

AbramClark

Lay the bike on its side (cassette up)

The thing I don't like about this method is it most likely leaves everything in the dirt. In most cases I get a flat, there is nowhere near enough room to lay the bike on pavement and not get run over. If there's a parking lot or sidewalk, I may try this, but on a roadside I prefer putting my Silvio upside down, resting on the brake horns and the top of the seat. The chain does have a greater tendency to get tangled, but it also stays clean, and so does the skewer and the wheel (which is flat, allowing grit to enter the tire, which if not cleaned out will ruin your day). This position also makes the fork the best place to keep the wheel clean while you're reseating your tire, and makes the underside of the seat bottom a perfect clean platform to place your new tube and tools, instead of hanging the tube around your neck and stuffing tools in your pockets, and trying to balance the wheel off the ground while attempting to stuff the tube back in and reseat the tire.

Last edited:

AbramClark

Hardly the Pristine clinical environment described in your post above.

Well everything did stay perfectly clean, despite working in dry very dusty gravel. The operation was pretty smooth except for the fiddling with the fork when fitting the wheel and skewer back in.

I really like the advice of tying the derailleur in place. I'm adding a reusable cable tie to my kit. I had heard this at the retreat, now I really understand why.

Excuse me if it sounded I was poo-pooing. I did say I will try it. How do you store the chain so it doesn't droop onto the ground?

I've had quite a few flats on my CruzBikes, but front flats on the Silvio and the other road models are a little special, as you know. My main mode of transportation is the Quest.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The thing I don't like about this method is it most likely leaves everything in the dirt. In most cases I get a flat, there is nowhere near enough room to lay the bike on pavement and not get run over. If there's a parking lot or sidewalk, I may try this, but on a roadside I prefer putting my Silvio upside down, resting on the brake horns and the top of the seat. The chain does have a greater tendency to get tangled, but it also stays clean, and so does the skewer and the wheel (which is flat, allowing grit to enter the tire, which if not cleaned out will ruin your day). This position also makes the fork the best place to keep the wheel clean while you're reseating your tire, and makes the underside of the seat bottom a perfect clean platform to place your new tube and tools, instead of hanging the tube around your neck and stuffing tools in your pockets, and trying to balance the wheel off the ground while attempting to stuff the tube back in and reseat the tire.
Abram, I agree that changing a tube on the Silvio is best served Upside down, with the skewer only partly removed to keep the derailleur in position, as per John Tolhurst's (original chef's) menu!

AbramClark

That was indeed very smooth. I will try it next time, which will hopefully be next year. I don't get flats often.