Couch to Century in 12 Weeks: Week 12

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Well there was no organized Century Ride anywhere close this week so I decided to give it a shot solo. I didn't take any pictures since stopping and fumbling about with a camera was not on my list while attempting my first (Imperial) Century. So I guess by the Plager Principle the ride never happened :(
The easiest routing (but not the easiest of routes) nearby is to just ride north or south along the Natchez Trace, then turn around and come back. Since there is far less traffic south of the Jackson metro area, I decided to go south even though that meant a net climb on the return north, with the worst hills in the last 12 miles. Goal #1 was survival, goal 2 was an even pace of 15 out and back.

Left Choctaw Agency (historic site) at 5:40 a.m. The Natchez Trace is a beautiful road anytime of day but riding along as dawn broke watching the woods, fields and pastures wake to a new day is just magical. Much of the route is shaded and in places tree cover creates a virtual tunnel of green. Mississippi law mandates that cyclists be given the entire lane anywhere on the Trace, not merely 3 feet, so the occasional passing vehicle was never a problem. Of course, the V is lit up like the Mother Ship in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, so that helps too ;)

First rest stop at the 46 mile mark at Rocky Springs campground to use their superb amenities, and just in time! Back on the bike asap to continue south to the turnaround (which I overshot due to traffic. oh well)
Then back to Rocky Springs for a hearty breakfast of a Cliff bar and Cliff 'Expresso' gel w lytes and caffeine, another quick trip to the amenities, then refill the water bottles and mix up the skratch powder, and back on the road.

Short pit stop at the Choctaw Boundary due to the excellent hydration at breakfast, then on to the Battle of Raymond historic site for 3-4 minutes in the shade and a bottle of the skratch, one more short break at Osburn Stand, then the final push back to Choctaw Agency and an ice cold drink from the cooler in the truck.
Total miles 103; avg 16mph. Had 16.5 at the turnaround but the net climb, plus the heat, on the return dropped the avg to 16. Still, beat my goal by 1mph ; All you double century and other racers, please stop reading several paragraphs ago :rolleyes:

Anyway Maria's Couch to Century (C2C) plan works---ok I started on week 6, then lost 2 weeks coz of work...but otherwise, I went right by the plan.

Now I feel better about the 100 mile option w my DF peeps on the annual Cyclists Curing Cancer ride in two weeks. Without the nudge of the C2C plan from Cruzbike, i doubt i'd have tried. Thanks Maria.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Stop reading?! No way.

Always good to celebrate milestones on the world stage or the personal one.

Everyone of th high-mileage/racer types ride their first century someday too! It's worthwhile to be reminded of the exhiliration - even if it's by proxy!

Congratulations!

RAR

Well there was no organized Century Ride anywhere close this week so I decided to give it a shot solo. I didn't take any pictures since stopping and fumbling about with a camera was not on my list while attempting my first (Imperial) Century. So I guess by the Plager Principle the ride never happened :(
The easiest routing (but not the easiest of routes) nearby is to just ride north or south along the Natchez Trace, then turn around and come back. Since there is far less traffic south of the Jackson metro area, I decided to go south even though that meant a net climb on the return north, with the worst hills in the last 12 miles. Goal #1 was survival, goal 2 was an even pace of 15 out and back.

Left Choctaw Agency (historic site) at 5:40 a.m. The Natchez Trace is a beautiful road anytime of day but riding along as dawn broke watching the woods, fields and pastures wake to a new day is just magical. Much of the route is shaded and in places tree cover creates a virtual tunnel of green. Mississippi law mandates that cyclists be given the entire lane anywhere on the Trace, not merely 3 feet, so the occasional passing vehicle was never a problem. Of course, the V is lit up like the Mother Ship in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, so that helps too ;)

First rest stop at the 46 mile mark at Rocky Springs campground to use their superb amenities, and just in time! Back on the bike asap to continue south to the turnaround (which I overshot due to traffic. oh well)
Then back to Rocky Springs for a hearty breakfast of a Cliff bar and Cliff 'Expresso' gel w lytes and caffeine, another quick trip to the amenities, then refill the water bottles and mix up the skratch powder, and back on the road.

Short pit stop at the Choctaw Boundary due to the excellent hydration at breakfast, then on to the Battle of Raymond historic site for 3-4 minutes in the shade and a bottle of the skratch, one more short break at Osburn Stand, then the final push back to Choctaw Agency and an ice cold drink from the cooler in the truck.
Total miles 103; avg 16mph. Had 16.5 at the turnaround but the net climb, plus the heat, on the return dropped the avg to 16. Still, beat my goal by 1mph ; All you double century and other racers, please stop reading several paragraphs ago :rolleyes:

Anyway Maria's Couch to Century (C2C) plan works---ok I started on week 6, then lost 2 weeks coz of work...but otherwise, I went right by the plan.

Now I feel better about the 100 mile option w my DF peeps on the annual Cyclists Curing Cancer ride in two weeks. Without the nudge of the C2C plan from Cruzbike, i doubt i'd have tried. Thanks Maria.
Great job Kline ! Good luck on the next one.
Rick

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Hi my name is <state your name>, I have a problems riding shorts distances. It all started we I did my first Cruzbike century now I can't stop. I get cravings for the endorphins and I get twitchy if I don't ride. .......

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Well done! I used to love being on 'The Trace'. I used to imagine myself in a small biplane, ducking down thru the trees and flying thru the tree-tunnels.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Should he do the Trans America Self supported race across America first???
Its only 4,270 miles and normally done in 18 days! and with a massive 4.5 hrs sleep a day!!!

Bill K

Guru
Congratulations, and smart move choosing an out-and-back ride.
No shortcuts, no temptations when you get a little tired. And it really teaches you how to pace yourself.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
He should just go for Tarzan's record of 76,076 miles per year and not waste his time.

Just think, some of us on the Vendetta can easily do 200 miles in less than 11 hours on flatter routes. It kind of makes that record seem more within reach when your not talking about 16-18 hr days in the saddle.