crash report

Drew

i was riding 45km/h when my front blew out this morning. the wheel blew, the bike veered right towards a guardrail, i steered left away from the guardrail and fell hard on my left side. sadly i'm in a cast and off the bike for a few weeks while i undergo three rounds of surgery to repair my left hand. i'll spare you the gory medical details.

the bike did much better. the points of contact during the slide were the rear QR skewer, left pedal, left crank close to the bb, left brake lever, right crank tip and left side of the seat back. the front wheel rim is heavily gouged so i think it is done.

i plan on doing a complete teardown to look for other damage. anyone have experience with crash damage on a silvio? should i be concerned about the carboyoke?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Very sorry about your hand, Drew.

You can check for any splintering of the carbon fiber. It is wrapped over a flexible metal inner, so its unlikely to give way unexpectedly. More likely is the carbon splintering off - but I've only every seen that once in destructive testing.

Drew

Thanks John. Funny thing was that as i was sliding i thought "that wasn't too bad". i reckon i'll go back to those uncomfortable full finger gloves with abrasion guards i used to own.

the cf components look ok and had no abrasions or splintering. it was the shock load from the BB striking the ground that had me most concerned. if i see any cracking i will order replacements.