Cruzbike conversion tour

chrisblessing

Greetings. Some may remember that in June 2015 I completed a tour from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Thailand on my folding, 20" conversion. That trip was 750km/8 days. This past June, I'm pleased to report, I completed a journey from Phuket to Hua Hin, a seaside town just south of Bangkok. This ride was 650km in length and took 6 days. Rather than using panniers I pulled an old Burley Nomad trailer. The trailer had to be modified for right-hand drive, and attaching it to my bike took a bit of work.

LkRMsanq5xqepB2KM92VFUNki95tidxB6ABta0KX1Meh=w704-h528-no

The first portion of the ride went north along the Andaman Sea coast. As with most coastal rides, there were many hills, some of which were quite challenging, especially with a trailer in tow, but offering spectacular views of the sea below. It rained continuously, but the cloud cover kept temperatures down.

At about 400km we crossed over the isthmus to the Gulf of Thailand. The east coast, while overcast, was far less wet, and the terrain was largely flat. Riding became so smooth I occasionally had to look back to make sure the Burley was still there. We also encountered considerably more traffic on this second half, although most roads have very wide shoulders reserved for bicycles and motorbikes, so we never felt crowded.

Overall, it was a beautiful tour. The water was never far from view, accommodation was cheap owing to it's having been off-season, and, as always, the evening meal was always a Thai delight.

chrisblessing

Eric, those are drying racks for tiny fish (bycatch, usually anchovies, minnows, etc, that are used in Thai foods) harvested from the Gulf of Thailand.