Cruzbike KOM/QOM challenge 10-31-17 thru 10-10-18

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
This is an official release from Lucia at Cruzbike - and she asked me to post it on the forum
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cruzbike Strava KOM/QOM* Competition

Maria threw down the gauntlet at the 2017 Cruzbike Ride Retreat in White Lake, promising a prize to the person who brings in the most KOMs/QOMs by next year’s retreat. We know you Strava KOM and QOM hunters are eager to get started, so here is how it will work:

The Prizes:
  • Custom 2018 Cruzbike KOM Champion Racing Jersey
  • Custom 2018 Cruzbike QOM Champion Racing Jersey

The Rules:
  • There will be two winners - one KOM and one QOM.
  • The winners are the male and female Cruzbike cyclists who set the most KOMs and QOMs respectively between October 31, 2017 and the date of the next Cruzbike Ride Retreat (October 11-14, 2018).
  • Segments must have been ridden by at least 10 riders to count toward your competition tally.
  • Segments must be longer than 1 mile to count toward your competition tally.
  • Pre-existing KOMs and QOMs do not count toward your competition tally. Only KOMs and QOMs set on or after the start date (10/31/2017) count toward your competition tally.
  • KOMs and QOMs must list the bicycle type as Cruzbike in the Strava dat
  • You have to be the current KOM/QOM for the segment at 5 p.m. EDT on October 10, 2018 for it to count toward your competition tally.
  • Being safe trumps all other rules. All rules of the road must be followed during KOM/QOM attempts.
  • While we encourage you to collect your prize at the 2018 Ride Retreat, you do not have to be present to win. We do, however, reserve the right to offer other awesome prizes to competition participants who do attend the 2018 Ride Retreat.

We reserve the right to add to or change the rules during the competition to protect the spirit of the competition. Larry Oslund will be tracking monthly totals and posting updates on the Cruzbike Forum.

Ready, set, GO.

*KOM/QOM are acronyms for King/Queen of the mountain. It refers to being the fastest person to ride a specific segment on Strava, a bicycle social media platform.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The competitor in me wants to crush all your hopes and dreams by taking this serious but the trail poaching mtber in me is just rolling his eyes.

I actually personally know and have ridden both the man and women who have the most KOM and QOM of any riders on strava, they both live in NorCal. The eye rolling comes from the methods they use to achieve such status.

I don't envy the person who has to sort through and compile these results.

Everyone knows the only KOMs that matter are the DH KOMs and I'm not talking about that strait line DH stuff ether ;)

NeaL

Guru
I just joined Strava.

I searched for KOM under activities, trying to find something local. What's the difference between "ride," "road," and "cross?" I know MTB is mountain bike.

Who records the timing? Is there someone whom we need to contact when making a timed run?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I just joined Strava.

I searched for KOM under activities, trying to find something local. What's the difference between "ride," "road," and "cross?" I know MTB is mountain bike.

Who records the timing? Is there someone whom we need to contact when making a timed run?

It's all automated. You can define your own segments. Any time you ride your own or other peoples segments your "rank" is recorded.
If you want to win more often put your Garmin on Smart Recording and turn off Glassnoss then then you get a 3 second advantage at speeds over 20mph.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I had not been paying any attention to Strava KOMs and only used Strava for tracking my routes. A friend of mine recently said he saw my Strava effort on a 1.4-mile segment he had been trying to improve on. The effort he saw was from when I had been passing through his area on a 115-mile ride. I was in the top 10 and he had recently beaten my accidental placing. So I went out on a 75-mile ride the next day and actually tried to do my best on the segment. It hurt like hell. And guess who was also out there after I rode the segment? Yeah, my friend and his son. I didn't know how I had done until I got home, but I found that I had taken the KOM. Then I thought, hey, this is a really good training tool. I would never get this motivated for intervals. This is as motivational as racing. So I started working on KOMs this fall.

Then another friend, who was in the top 10 on a different segment, which is 6 miles, asked me to try to take that KOM. Two other guys we both know were tied for the KOM. My friend wanted me to knock them out of first place. So I went out on a 92-mile ride to check out the segment. I only did a test run to get a feel for the segment. It was kind of hilly and intimidating and I thought, "no way." But when I got home, I found I had missed the KOM by only 7 seconds. So the next day, I went out on a 101-mile ride and it was bugging me so much that I went back to give the segment a real try. I ended up beating the KOM record by 36 seconds. After my friend, who had requested that I try it, found out I had taken the KOM, he wanted me to keep his identity secret because he was worried about the two guys who lost the KOM because of his request. So, that's weird, but whatever. Maybe he really didn't think I had a chance of winning it.

Then there was the shop ride that had a donut prize for the final, 1.4-mile sprint. I was told at the beginning of the ride that I was not eligible because it was only for road bikes. What, am I riding an airplane? It's not my fault if people choose to ride expensive, slow, crappy bikes and don't train as much as I do. They'll go to extremes to ignore the fact that they got ripped off. So not only did I take the sprint, I was so far ahead that I could barely see the pack in my mirrors. Then I went out the next day and took the KOM on that segment by 8 seconds. But I was still pissed off from the donut discrimination, so I went out two days later for a 65-mile ride after work and took the KOM away from myself by another 3 seconds. Then I also took two other KOMs as well (three for a day).

So I kind of got addicted to the KOM training plan and have now collected 35 KOMs. Every one hurt like hell. The season is over here, but I plan to resume stealing KOMs next spring.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I feel it is imperative I share this with you before things get too out of hand.
fab8ab23053ad2aa16e635b80344370e18bc28afc7d34038c6368c0fb056fb0a.jpg

25eaddde238dd3bf348573d7df8742dd0170925bd2088323aa1cbfc7b3b39846.jpg

strava-kom-you-must-be-really-fun-on-no-drop-group-rides.jpg

dont-steal-y-kom.jpg

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
If this would have happened last year my score would have been 36 just to give those who are new an idea.

CruzLike

Guru
I didn't know Hitler was a cyclist. That is very funny.

I would give you two likes if I could. One for Hitler and one for Kip.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I feel it is imperative I share this with you before things get too out of hand.
fab8ab23053ad2aa16e635b80344370e18bc28afc7d34038c6368c0fb056fb0a.jpg

25eaddde238dd3bf348573d7df8742dd0170925bd2088323aa1cbfc7b3b39846.jpg

strava-kom-you-must-be-really-fun-on-no-drop-group-rides.jpg

dont-steal-y-kom.jpg
Well, the Trump video explains why the guy (who requested the double knockout) wanted to remain anonymous. I can see the resemblance. Hold on, why is the angry guy's hair black?

NeaL

Guru
Ride with the Strava phone app.
Which one is it? I did a search and it looks like there are a few to choose from. I'd rather download only the one which I need. My phone is barely a step above a flip phone with very limited memory capacity.

nobrakes

There is the official Strava app on both IOS and Android. If you run a garmin or something similar, you can use that without the Strava app (no phone required) and then upload your rides to Strava later. Garmin devices can sync automatically with your phone and upload in the background, or you can upload them yourself by connecting your garmin to a PC.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Awesome video. I will have to share it with Alvin Maxwell.
He is rather new to Cruzbike and lives in Washington NC. I do not know how many KOM's he owns, but he defends them religiously!
He has been known to head out on a segment at midnight just to take it back.
He will even ride it twice: Once just fast enough to recaputre the KOM, and then even harder a second time recording it on a 2nd Garmin. He will post his first "slower" time to recapture the KOM and then if his "buddy" retakes it from him again, then he will instantly upload his "faster" attempt to take it back yet again.
Alvin is screaming fast on a upright - has ridden over 500 in 24hours with it. He is sponsored by Bianchi, but also started riding Cruzbike V earlier this year. He is a force to be reckoned with - especially on KOM's.

1happyreader

zen/child method
Which one is it? I did a search and it looks like there are a few to choose from. I'd rather download only the one which I need. My phone is barely a step above a flip phone with very limited memory capacity.
Personally I don't use the app.
I have a CatEye Stealth 50 , because it was Ant+ capable, and I had my eye on a power meter.
I have to use a PC and a usb cradle to transfer my data.
There are a lot of brands out there, so a lot of research to find your pricepoint and have file transfer capability.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Perspective matters....

Cheaters? Yeah, cheating sucks. Breaking the law? I don't even try for segments that go through 4-way stops - that's a good way to get killed, aside from the legality. It's interesting to note what is fair (and I'm not complaining). Fast guys and even professionals, in an 80-mile race on open roads, taking turns pulling, in a large peloton, averaging over 30 mph, on sub-18- pound carbon wonder bikes, on rolling hills, with a tailwind, for over 10 miles is fair. Can I beat that solo? No way without a tornado or peloton of recumbents. But I'm okay with that. It's an opportunity and a challenge. I just haven't quite figured it out yet.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Cheaters? Yeah, cheating sucks. Breaking the law? I don't even try for segments that go through 4-way stops - that's a good way to get killed, aside from the legality. It's interesting to note what is fair (and I'm not complaining). Fast guys and even professionals, in an 80-mile race on open roads, taking turns pulling, in a large peloton, averaging over 30 mph, on sub-18- pound carbon wonder bikes, on rolling hills, with a tailwind, for over 10 miles is fair. Can I beat that solo? No way without a tornado or peloton of recumbents. But I'm okay with that. It's an opportunity and a challenge. I just haven't quite figured it out yet.

Yep... my point was that it's suppose to be fun; and the only person you can be really sure you are beating is yourself.