Cruzbike KOM/QOM challenge 10-31-17 thru 10-10-18

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
One of my favorite segments is 4.4km. It runs parallel to the beach front, it's a little remote that connects a town with a little town. There is a big cycling fraternity that use it as a conduit. I am sure the kom has been got by a velomobile. It's insanely fast. When I do a personal best on this segment ... something in my body gives. I have aches for weeks. There is a bit of a hill in the middle and that is where my speed dips. So if you are wanting to scalp kom's try and identify ones that can be feasible. Perhaps the ideal segment is level with a slight incline with an average speed of 42kph then you get more rewards.

CruzLike

Guru
oh no .... it's on!
I'm glad that I don't live around you. My chances of KOMing would diminish.

I'm a freshman to KOMing. I optimistically thought I could be competitive in this challenge. After watching your hobby vid. I realized how over my head I was in thinking that. Thanks for the tips. You raised my game a little.

BTW. Did you listen to Joan Jett for 14 minutes straight?

@Lucia If there was a "best Thread" award. Even though it's just the second page. I would vote for this thread. I have seen the most interesting, funny, encouraging items in this thread.

Barefoot Biker

... Did you listen to Joan Jett for 14 minutes straight?

Almost. The faster I finish, the sooner it's over!! ;-) I think it wont matter where we live because Alvin is probably plotting a whirlwind tour to visit the top contenders, take their KOMs, but leave his rides private until the day before the deadline! Either way, I predict a large segment of the population will be suffering a mental anguish over their place on the leaderboard with the Vendetta as the only antidote....

Barefoot Biker

how windy was it that day?

Thanks!

Recorded speed at the airport was 25mph at 11:45a and fell to 20mph at 12:00p... If I would have waited until 4p the next day, the recorded wind speed was 50mph - then less aero is better because it's pushing!! Of course, part of the road was under water by that point, emergency services were no longer operating, and that's probably also the time at which our tree in the front yard fell over et cetera, but ... it's clear this wasn't the fastest possible time. ;-)

Honestly, it's a terrible segment. Two lane highway with no bike lane most of the way. Posted speed limit 55mph. Lot's of traffic. Vehicle collisions are common. There is a bike path going in the same direction less than a mile to the west and numerous other routes far superior so, although the wind helped a lot, what helped more was that the snow birds were gone and there was a mandatory evacuation order that cleared the road for me!

DavidCH

I think I will replace the water in the back with one of those small tin shape 360degree loudspeakers and have this blaring away on a loop back for my KOM attempts. That would have to take away the pain and replace it with awesome

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Almost. The faster I finish, the sooner it's over!! ;-) I think it wont matter where we live because Alvin is probably plotting a whirlwind tour to visit the top contenders, take their KOMs, but leave his rides private until the day before the deadline! Either way, I predict a large segment of the population will be suffering a mental anguish over their place on the leaderboard with the Vendetta as the only antidote....
Great write-up Kyle. Wow all those strategies. I am tired just thinking about it.
You may be right about Alvin - haha. But hey - one good strategy would be to ride all your KOMS and never upload until the day before the deadline - then they are never in the cloud for anyone else to see accept the last day! haha
I might just sit back and eat donuts and watch you two slug it out! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
BTW:
I also find it very satisfying to take a KOM with the wind as you did, but then turn-around and take the KOM on the segment against the wind as well, but maybe not by as much. This has got to be demoralizing to DF's who probably took the segment in a group or with the wind! :rolleyes: I did that on this ride at the beach back in Sept: https://www.strava.com/activities/1190051509/segments/29338006914 - Of course none of these count for the competition since I already have them. :(

jond

Zen MBB Master
My best and most possibly shameless kom down and back 30 klm total has had 24887 attempts by 2568 people.

12000 attempts were by me. Lol

Stravasshole power. Hilarious.

It has stood for a few years now and has withstood various group challenges including being reported by unhappy
Stavassholes in action.

It is an out and back kom so largely negates wind.

It is my towns most popular cycle route the fernleigh track. I used to live beside it .To have this kom means a whole lot of komsense to a lot of people .

Be safe be fast be smart. Segment stars away. Lol

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
It's all automated. You can define your own segments. Any time you ride your own or other peoples segments your "rank" is recorded.
If you want to win more often put your Garmin on Smart Recording and turn off Glassnoss then then you get a 3 second advantage at speeds over 20mph.

Turn off glassnoss never knew bout 3 seconds ratz. Could always run edge 500 beside the 520 lol. Get myself arrested for ignorant digital doping. Hah .

Suddenly I’m finding myself turning on live segments. Yesterday with a strong tailwind I beat my still windless morning aero disc wheel time with training wheels. Kom sickness. It’s the gold colour. I’m changing. Subjectivity be gone.

LarryOz

Everyone who wants to be tallied in my monthly Cruzbike KOM totals for the contest, please reply back to this thread so I can include you.
So far I see Kyle = 11, Jon = 7, Larry = 0, Jason =1, Ratz = 0, Tanya = 0 , Maria = 1 , Jim = 0, Alvin = 0
Thanks,

jond

Zen MBB Master
Everyone who wants to be tallied in my monthly Cruzbike KOM totals for the contest, please reply back to this thread so I can include you.
So far I see Kyle = 11, Jon = 7, Larry = 0, Jason =1, Ratz = 0, Tanya = 0 , Maria = 1 , Jim = 0, Alvin = 0
Thanks,

Who is this enigmatic Kyle kom bare foot hunter and must I travel to Florida America to seek co operation

The jersey is wanting to be Downunda. It told me so lol.

Bad Kyle.

Now where are my motorcycle keys.

LarryOz

Kyle has the perfect setup. He lives in Florida, so basically flat. He can ride all year round chasing KOM's.
Go for it Jon - Looks like a 2 man race at this point.

jond

Zen MBB Master
@Barefoot Biker and @jond
You need to enjoy your lead.
After the great white north recedes, maybe March, the target on your helmet will be magnified.
I'm confident we can spot you 4 months and still have a close finish.

“Maybe march. “. Looking like may June lol.

Kyle and I are blessed with year round cycling for sure. But it is hard riding upside down in Australia. Sometimes the nosebleeds are terrible.

I’m not really entering . Not really. Not really really actually. More like a public service strava segment creator. Suburban back street cruzbike ambassador.

I’m sure it will be a close finish. Watching Kyle,s presentation again I am laughing at his sense of humour and incredulous of his strategies.

I have in training now three harnessed kangaroos and two wallabies. But they keep on hopping in front of trucks!,,, confound it if only broadband internet were here I might take Kyle,s advice. lol

DavidCH

“Maybe march. “. Looking like may June lol.

Kyle and I are blessed with year round cycling for sure. But it is hard riding upside down in Australia. Sometimes the nosebleeds are terrible.

I’m not really entering . Not really. Not really really actually. More like a public service strava segment creator. Suburban back street cruzbike ambassador.

I’m sure it will be a close finish. Watching Kyle,s presentation again I am laughing at his sense of humour and incredulous of his strategies.

I have in training now three harnessed kangaroos and two wallabies. But they keep on hopping in front of trucks!,,, confound it if only broadband internet were here I might take Kyle,s advice. lol
Kyle uses the wind to the greatest effect... cold air is denser. Best time for a KOM is in June for the guys down under... I reckon it's going to be a close finish.

Last edited: