Cruzbike KOM/QOM challenge 10-31-17 thru 10-10-18

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
Strava seems to bring out the worst in people. Years ago, a local rider, John S., introduced me to Strava. We'd both resumed cycling at around the same time, rode together a few times, and even had some friendly exchanges on line regarding KOM's, PR's, and various other Strava related stuff. That all came to an abrupt end when I beat one of John's records. First, he sent me an e-mail claiming I had "cheated". He never did explain how I could have cheated, but the following weekend I decided to remove all doubt and ran the same segment again, winning by an even bigger margin. His response was to change his Strava privacy settings so that I could no longer see his records. The following Monday, he unfriended me on Facebook. I haven't heard a peep from him since then, but a mutual acquaintance tells me that he's been banned from at least one cycling website for similar behavior. Apparently, any time someone beat one of his KOM's, he would contact Strava and try to have the new record disqualified. :confused:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Strava seems to bring out the worst in people. Years ago, a local rider, John S., introduced me to Strava. We'd both resumed cycling at around the same time, rode together a few times, and even had some friendly exchanges on line regarding KOM's, PR's, and various other Strava related stuff. That all came to an abrupt end when I beat one of John's records. First, he sent me an e-mail claiming I had "cheated". He never did explain how I could have cheated, but the following weekend I decided to remove all doubt and ran the same segment again, winning by an even bigger margin. His response was to change his Strava privacy settings so that I could no longer see his records. The following Monday, he unfriended me on Facebook. I haven't heard a peep from him since then, but a mutual acquaintance tells me that he's been banned from at least one cycling website for similar behavior. Apparently, any time someone beat one of his KOM's, he would contact Strava and try to have the new record disqualified. :confused:
That is sad. I am hopeful that we do not have anyone in our Tribe that takes this stuff that seriously! :rolleyes:

NeaL

Guru
Does anyone know if the 2018 Cruzbike Retreat is still on for the same days? The next Recumbent Cycle-Convention dates were later announced and the two coincided with each other.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
That is sad. I am hopeful that we do not have anyone in our Tribe that takes this stuff that seriously! :rolleyes:

Those are my favorite type of people, they are so fun to poke at. As you'd guess because of my ability and odd approach to activities supported by strava I come across these people on a regular bases. If I feel I can net some entertainment value out of them I'll try poking them a few more times but for the most part I just happen to take their segment by chance and couldn't care less about the leader board. I rarely flag other rider who take my segements on E-bikes because it's too effort and most the time trying to beat the E bike times can make for a solid challenge.

Osiris

Zen MBB Master
The more I use Strava, the less confidence I have in it. I use it primarily as a training aid to keep track of my own progress (or lack thereof), but I've seen weird anomalies like six PR's on the same mile long segment, posting exactly the same time and speed in each case. How is that possible? Not even a pro could ride with such consistency. Strava's tracking accuracy could also use a lot of improvement. I was surprised to win a KOM on a section of road that shouldn't be a segment at all. When I looked closely, I noticed that it actually gave me the KOM on a section of bike trail nearby, despite the fact that the trail sharply diverges from the road I was on. And then there are those bogus readings where the average speed listed is different than what's shown in the 'Analyze' tab, sometimes even confusing max. speed with average speed.

nobrakes

I did a 2.5 hr turbo session a couple of weeks ago using my Garmin and I managed to sink 200 feet underground and move about 30 metres into the next door neighbours garden over the course of the session - it’s not all Strava’s fault. GPS and altitude on devices isn’t always accurate.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
You must be that powerful. Technology is never wrong :p Did the neighbour appreciate the extra tilling in his garden? :eek:

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Does anyone know if the 2018 Cruzbike Retreat is still on for the same days? The next Recumbent Cycle-Convention dates were later announced and the two coincided with each other.
Hi Neal - The Cruzbike Ride Retreat is set for 11-14 October which, indeed, conflicts with the recumbent convention. We haven't ever missed a convention, but there's always a first time. The convention moved a week later in the year. Oh well!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hi Neal - The Cruzbike Ride Retreat is set for 11-14 October which, indeed, conflicts with the recumbent convention. We haven't ever missed a convention, but there's always a first time. The convention moved a week later in the year. Oh well!
We will have our own convention! Maybe even with a little bit of barefoot skiing lessons.

jond

Zen MBB Master

This is what happens when cycling is not fun but taken too seriously. What a silly way to behave. Strava brings out the worst in some but also the best.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
This is what happens when cycling is not fun but taken too seriously. What a silly way to behave. Strava brings out the worst in some but also the best.
You would hope that Strava would ban him from posting his rides, as he is anti self improvement as he is meant to train harder to take the KOM back, NOT complain like a spoilt kid!

Uphill

There was a hill on my old daily commute. Used to ride up it in the evening on way home. I held the KOM for about two years then it got taken, then I took it back, then he took it back. It was clear we were both commuting on it. So I followed him to get more detail. Then I waited till he went up it typical 30 mins after I normally did. We sprinted up it together, he won. We were laughing in between coughing just beyond the top. The record settled to him about six months later at three seconds I just could not close. That is how you tackle Strava segments. Good naturedly and having a bit of fun if you meet up.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
We have a local strava group on the actual strava website that's primarily mtbers. We would hold unofficial enduro races using strava segments as each of the six routes you'd have to ride in certain order all during a single ride for it to count. You then add all those segments together and that would be your official time. The cool thing was after deciding the course we announce a 2 week window that you could ride the course and score an official time. This let everyone ride it multiple times over the two weeks at their convenience and gave raise to some good back and forth battles as everyone would continue to shave seconds off their times by mastering the course a little more each time.

Although in and amount our group there was never any hate or over seriousness the trails out here are all illegal to ride on. I'd always poach the trails at night to avoid attention but other would go during the day and we would sometimes get unwanted attention from those who are less willing to share. This was just one example of how strava competition can be pulled off without seriousness.