Cruzbike KOM/QOM challenge 10-31-17 thru 10-10-18

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Sadly, I think I've yet to get a KOM. Hasn't helped that the total number of rides since ~August is less than 10.

Then again many of the segments around here are traveled enough that the numbers are crazy.
One segment's KOM, for instance, has an average speed of ~39mph (900w) for 57 seconds.

CruzLike

Guru
Sadly, I think I've yet to get a KOM.
@tiltmaniac, I'm in the same boat. Since November I've been almost as scarce as the Ground hog (Feb 2). I've rode outside 2 days in Sebring. Sebring is a tough area to get KOM's. @Barefoot Biker might say that @LarryOz was hogging them all. :) Way to go Larry, you are a true competitor, getting KOM's wherever you are.

Although, the weather in Indy is starting to turn warmer. It won't be long, I will start my KOM sniping program.

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Sadly, I think I've yet to get a KOM. Hasn't helped that the total number of rides since ~August is less than 10.

Then again many of the segments around here are traveled enough that the numbers are crazy.
One segment's KOM, for instance, has an average speed of ~39mph (900w) for 57 seconds.
As it was pointed out to me. Best make your own Strava segments. Make sure they'e endurance segments just for the Vendetta. Then the only way the buggers can get it is by drafting with 3 DF's together. Before I go gunning... I've got to lose some weight.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hello everyone,
I thought I would be able to try and keep track of KOMS by searching everyone's KOM data on Strava, but I find out that sometimes that is not very accurate, so this is what I need everyone to do who wants to participate in the challenge. Create a spreadsheet (google docs if possible) and put the following information in it:
Segment name, date KOM captured, length, time, avg sp, total riders per segment, notes, and the link to the segment (you can capture this by looking at your KOM and clicking the "show leaderboard" button. This will bring up the KOM segment page and then you can copy the URL and paste it into your spreadsheet.) This segment link is the most important part of the data, as it will be checked the last day of the challenge to make sure you still have the KOM (which is required).

Below is a picture of mine right now: and here is my viewable link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z4wnH7h4odSk0TXY-46NEB2CbGRERacIwPpSYnU6dmk/edit?usp=sharing
(Every time you get a KOM, edit the spreadsheet and put your new data in it. That is the best way to keep it current.)

Once you create you spreadsheet send me the link (larryoslund@gmail.com), and I will then create a master KOM spreadsheet with everyone's link in it and share it. Thanks.
Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 2.29.43 PM.png

CruzLike

Guru
Greetings from the recently thawed Indiana.
Today was a good day. I actually rode outside today. The first time since Sebring FL. or November in Indiana. I've spent the last 4 months on the trainer.
It was sunny and 55 degrees (13c).

Today was a day that I had some apprehension about what I was to do. All winter I scoured Strava for segments in my area. I made a list. Then reformatted the list to meet Larry's format. Today I selected 2 segments and rode them.
Most of the apprehension was from two items. I have a V that I have not ridden much. I don't know how much faster I am on this bike. I also don't see myself as a speed demon. To steal Larry's tag line, "Just a slightly younger, old guy on a fast bike". I'm not a young punk anymore. I don't know how I measure up to the local riders. In my youth I wasn't particularly fast either. My current condition is probably the best in my life.

I rode the first segment. I was riding it in the dark, so to speak. My Elemnt had watts on one page and speed on another. I just watched watts this ride. I finished the short ride without the feeling of success. I didn't think I went very fast. I was all over the road also. Riding the trainer you loose the suttle inputs it takes to keep the CB's straight.
After the ride I modified the page on my Elmnt to show spd, cad, and watts.
The second segment was rolling terrain. It was quite fun to ride. Kind of a kiddy roller coaster. I knew the avg speed for this ride was 25 mph. While riding this one, I was able to see my speed consistently be 27+mph. This was encouraging.
I posted to Strava. I KOM'd each ride by 8 and 23 seconds.
This gives me a little more confidence to attempt the other 80 segments on the list.

@Barefoot Biker I noticed he rode today without a KOM. I think he's loosing steam.
@LarryOz I think he has found his track. As long as he doesn't make a lot of segments on the track. We shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Game On!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
@LarryOz I think he has found his track. As long as he doesn't make a lot of segments on the track. We shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Just think per the rules Larry could create segments for each lap after one mile and at 1/8 mile per lap he could easily take the KOM for 72 segments each 1/8 mile longer than the previous in a single 10 mile ride as I imagine there are at least 10 others on strava to have ridden 10 miles continuously on the track. This is the type of thing I'd do not to take an unfair advantage but just to show how the rules can be exploited because I hate rules :emoji_thinking:

LarryOz

Just think per the rules Larry could create segments for each lap after one mile and at 1/8 mile per lap he could easily take the KOM for 72 segments each 1/8 mile longer than the previous in a single 10 mile ride as I imagine there are at least 10 others on strava to have ridden 10 miles continuously on the track. This is the type of thing I'd do not to take an unfair advantage but just to show how the rules can be exploited because I hate rules :emoji_thinking:
Yes - hate rules to a certain degree - You make them because you need some guidelines, but them someone always bends them to their will. I certainly would not do what you suggested Jason, and I have confidence that everyone else in the Tribe has the same level of maturity. To me a segment should have a logical starting and ending point, a crossroad or popular landmark, sign, etc. To win the way you described would be such a hollow victory and would rightly incur the wrath of the everyone who played "fair"!

LarryOz

Greetings from the recently thawed Indiana.
Today was a good day. I actually rode outside today. The first time since Sebring FL. or November in Indiana. I've spent the last 4 months on the trainer.
It was sunny and 55 degrees (13c).

Today was a day that I had some apprehension about what I was to do. All winter I scoured Strava for segments in my area. I made a list. Then reformatted the list to meet Larry's format. Today I selected 2 segments and rode them.
Most of the apprehension was from two items. I have a V that I have not ridden much. I don't know how much faster I am on this bike. I also don't see myself as a speed demon. To steal Larry's tag line, "Just a slightly younger, old guy on a fast bike". I'm not a young punk anymore. I don't know how I measure up to the local riders. In my youth I wasn't particularly fast either. My current condition is probably the best in my life.

I rode the first segment. I was riding it in the dark, so to speak. My Elemnt had watts on one page and speed on another. I just watched watts this ride. I finished the short ride without the feeling of success. I didn't think I went very fast. I was all over the road also. Riding the trainer you loose the suttle inputs it takes to keep the CB's straight.
After the ride I modified the page on my Elmnt to show spd, cad, and watts.
The second segment was rolling terrain. It was quite fun to ride. Kind of a kiddy roller coaster. I knew the avg speed for this ride was 25 mph. While riding this one, I was able to see my speed consistently be 27+mph. This was encouraging.
I posted to Strava. I KOM'd each ride by 8 and 23 seconds.
This gives me a little more confidence to attempt the other 80 segments on the list.

@Barefoot Biker I noticed he rode today without a KOM. I think he's loosing steam.

Game On!
Way to go Ken: I am probably out of the "race". I train M-F indoors and ride on my local track on Saturday. The only time I get to "do" other outdoor rides is when I go on vacation somewhere!

Barefoot Biker

... just to show how the rules can be exploited because I hate rules :emoji_thinking:

Reminds me of trying to manage software engineers by setting goals: http://dilbert.com/strip/1995-11-13

To some degree I think everyone here is a rule breaker. I do still scratch my head a bit that more people aren't riding faster and in comfort as they adhere to rules that don't apply to them. Anyway, you're in good company! :)

@CruzLike - building steam, with rest, I'm building steam! ... maybe. The summer is going to be tough for me because I travel a lot so, I expect I'll get passed up. My plan is to sprint at the end of course!

nobrakes

I would love to get out and have a crack at a few KOMs around here, but there’s still snow and ice all over the place. Starting to become a bit ridiculous. First sportive of the season for me in 4 weeks, might need skis instead of wheels lol. I have a feeling quite a few of the flatter segments are within reach for me, perhaps not the bigger climbs. I have a couple of the local descents on the Fuego, I’m not sure I trust myself to go that fast on the V down hill yet.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Reminds me of trying to manage software engineers by setting goals: http://dilbert.com/strip/1995-11-13

To some degree I think everyone here is a rule breaker. I do still scratch my head a bit that more people aren't riding faster and in comfort as they adhere to rules that don't apply to them. Anyway, you're in good company! :)

@CruzLike - building steam, with rest, I'm building steam! ... maybe. The summer is going to be tough for me because I travel a lot so, I expect I'll get passed up. My plan is to sprint at the end of course!

It amazes me how many people don't understand the Dilbert comics, as if mild satire requires some higher level of intellect.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Maybe some of us are past the "comic reading" stage of live.. :p:p:p:p:p .. and maybe some of us that aren't.. should be .. just saying ..:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Larry do you have any idea how many koms bugs bunny has compared to road runner and Taz.

Adult humour is encapsulated in every looney tune.

Time to report everyone’s koms mwah ha ha .

Barefoot Biker

Congratulations! Looks like her jersey catches too much wind though. Otherwise, great video.

Thanks! Yeah. She stole a QOM and my shirt!!!! Something about tan lines... the long pants and winter gloves in 90 degree heat really top off the look - not a believer in Rule #7! :)