Cruzbike model names

Not sure if this is the proper topic for this, but I am curious about something, namely the origin and reasoning behind the current Cruzbike model names. We have QX100, Silvio S30, and Vendetta V20 (also used to have Softrider). Why the need for a name and a numerical designation at the same time, such as Vendetta V20? Why not use one or the other? QX100, where does that fit in with the rest of the names? Why not have left it as Softrider v3, etc? Where does Silvio come from, seems more fitting for a character from the old "Sopranos" tv series than a bicycle? Vendetta, I kind of understand but it is still kind of odd. I would imagine that each name would have some relationship to the type of bicycle and its use, and fit into some type of overall theme for the naming scheme. Don't see any relationship between them. I would think that personnel from Cruzbike might have more insight into this.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Vendetta seems to make perfect sense to me since I use it to tear down years of misconception towards recumbent with a vengeance. The #'s after the names just point out the versions of each model with the higher the number meaning the latest the version. If I recall the Vendetta started out as a Vendetta or Vendetta 1.0 then a 1.5 then 2.0 then 20.

Jeremy S

Dude
The numbers for the newer Silvio and Vendetta models are the approximate seat angle (30 degrees for the Silvio, 20 degrees for the Vendetta). It seems confusing because people seem to assume higher number = somehow more advanced. It doesn't mean that here.

The QX100 is based on the old Quest. Where the X and 100 come from I have little clue, I would guess they just sounded cool to someone.

Perhaps in time the Silvio and Vendetta names will also be dropped in favor of the letter/number combos. I imagine John Tolhurst came up with those names, and he is no longer part of the company.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I am curious about something, namely the origin and reasoning behind the current Cruzbike model names. We have QX100, Silvio S30, and Vendetta V20 (also used to have Softrider).
Don't forget the Freerider and the V2/K! :D I'd be interested in the reasoning behind the names, too.

I would imagine that each name would have some relationship to the type of bicycle and its use, and fit into some type of overall theme for the naming scheme. Don't see any relationship between them.

The original bikes were the Freerider and the Sofrider. (Not "Softrider." There was a beam bike called the Softride from a company that predated Cruzbike. I think that's why CB had to drop the "t".) Utility bikes that let you ride free, and had a soft ride because they were suspended. I guess.

The V2/K was a frame CB sold for a little while to go along with the original conversion kit, when suitable Y-frame donor mountain bikes became hard to find. No idea what V2/K meant--maybe Version 2/Kit? There's a RWD recumbent called the Velokraft VK2, to add to the confusion.

I've never seen Silvio explained, though Vendetta seems very suitable for a race bike with a chip on its shoulder, as it were.

Quest sounds like a good name for an adventuring bike, especially a folding-for-travel bike; but it was also used by other recumbent, velomobile, and even DF manufacturers. Didn't take long for CB to start calling it Q plus the wheel size--Q451 and Q559--and minimizing the use of the name "Quest." (When I changed to 24" wheels on my Q several months ago, I started calling it Q507 to fit the pattern. That was never an official model.) The Q came in version 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0.

The QX100 apparently is intended as the next version of the Quest line, but going back to a front derailleur as on the Quest 1.0, instead of the Dual Drive hub from 2.0 and 3.0, and leaving behind the idea of a small-wheeled folding bike. I've not heard what X100 is supposed to mean, if anything. It sounds like an experimental aircraft to me. :p Wouldn't surprise me if the "Q" is dropped entirely with the next iteration of that model, and it just becomes the X100. (X101? X100.1? X100 v2? :rolleyes:)

Cruzbike model names are still better than Microsoft Windows versioning, though: 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.11 for Workgroups, NT 3.51, NT 4.0, Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, Me, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10.... o_Oo_O

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
I have a sigma here. It is a trip to ride. I actually have three Sigmas that are in the box and have never been assembled...

Post a video of you riding the Sigma, will you? Um, when you get done with your backlog of Vendetta orders that is...

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I vaguely remember the Sigma. It was their attempt at a long wheelbase RWD recumbent. Hasn't been sold since about 2011--must not have gone over very well, and definitely didn't fit with the rest of the product line.

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/sigma-pictures-of.5996/
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/the-sigma.2831/

Which goes back to the OP's point...Sigma?? What did that signify?
Gosh. Cruzbike has come a long way. Never really did see that revolutionary universal joint working. Pretty sure it did. Everything that JT touches seems to work. Interesting video ... Thanks for posting

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
Universal joint steering goes back a ways,

easy_chair_lg.jpg