Cruzbikes finish 1-2 in Mid-Atlantic Ultrasports Century

BentAero

From the Cruzbike Facebook page Saturday 8/22:

Larry Oslund wins another UMCA National Championship on his Cruzbike V20, followed a few seconds later across the finish line by Jim Parker. Official time still pending, but he finished the 103 mile race in a little over four hours.

The 4-lap race was down to only six racers in the lead pack after the first two laps: 3 recumbent bike racers (Larry and Jim on V20s and Steve Olson on an M5 CHR), and 3 standard bike racers. After three laps, it was only the Cruzbike racers and Justin Little, on a standard bike. With 17 miles to go, Justin dropped back and Larry and Jim finished the race: one, two!

Larry is having a great year (his first year on a recumbent of any kind)! He won the 12-hour National Championship at Calvin's Challenge earlier this year.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Larry has adapted his technique; he now crashes the week before each event. He's working on the timing I think this time it was 11 days before. :confused:

Larry O fails to fall off, and thus surprises us.

Actually, I find it is better to just "fall" after the race is over now, which is what I "embarrasingly did at this event!
I'm still waiting for a photo surface - but I don't think Gary was there to see (and record) this since he was out riding his 4th lap.
Anyway - what happened; is that immediately after crossing the finish line, I looped back around the area and came to a stop among the cheering crowd (All 5 of them!).
I un-clipped from my worthless Garmin Vector Power pedals (that's another story in an of itself) and put my feet down.
In what was meant to be one swift - effortless movement off the V, I simultaneously slid back in the seat and stood up. NOT!
Well, for some "unknown" reason, my legs dig not obey the command. Both hamstrings simultaneously cramped up -- and -- well,
I summarily tipped over to the right, still entwined with my V! It was hilarious!!!!
Someone in the huge gallery shouted - "I guess you gave it everything you had!" Well, I guess I did - but I didn't think it was that much.
Some nice soul - helped me back up, and I went to nurse the little 1" wide abrasion on my right arm!
Another battle wound/badge/scar. It'll will no doubt become a more engaging story as I repeat it and practive it for the grand-kids!

I am trying to put my finishing touches on my ride report and will post to this thread when done - All in all - it was a great event and ride. Always wonderful to have Gary there, as well as Jim and Maria!
Next year I am hoping on at least 6 Vendettas in our our "Crzubike" pace-line WAY out front of everyone, so start training now.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I am out every day. Still boiling hot. Have to leave early. That Vendetta turns heads. No one can quite understand it. Funny eh... I have my brother with me for a week or two and he said to me after the ride... "I was hoping to keep up with you on the hills".

Congrats to Larry and Jim; well deserved. Not many of us get up in the middle of the night to go training.

There's nothing quite like rocketing down that mountain after such a climb.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Congrats Larry and Jim, you guys rock! Makes me proud to own the same bike that's winning, and keep winning races!
Thanks Rick - and just think, you had something to do with it - all the help you gave me when I first join the tribe - oh how green I was - not that I'm still not green, but maybe not quite as dark green now! :)
One of these years, you are either going to come visit the East coast, or I'm going to come visit the West coast!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Great riding by Larry and Jim, I hope someone (1 of the 5 supporters) was there to take a photo of the one, two finish!!!

Is there a wall at Cruzbike headquarters with ALL the winning photos and prizes on it, as if there is, it must be overloaded by now!!!

Larry, have you bought those shock absorbing elbow protectors yet???????

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
"Alvin Maxwell interviewing me after the race."

Was this interview recorded and posted somewhere ???