Cruz'ing the Forth Road Bridge in Scotland

currystomper

It was a lovely morning here in Scotland and I got the chance to go out on my first good long run. I went over the forth road bridge which is a moderate but continuous climb the conversion took me up with no problems - I now see what everyone has been saying about climbing ability.

Also meet Ian at the local train station car park for a trial go on the bike - I was nice to meet a fellow recumbent rider and possible future Cruz'er.

Here are some pics of the bike on the bridge:
126_7b36424d43c606aef00678edf6d006d1

126_06710787cbabab3e1f0ff26c91e25278

currystomper

Re: Cruz'ing (near) the Forth Road Bridge in Scotland

Hi All

I went out on the cruz again this weekend, it was a howling westerly, so while it was hard work on the cruz', I don''t think I would have bothered going out in the parachute* position. Never really relaxed due to the wind on the way out and tired legs on the way back.

I got clipped in for the first time on this ride- panicked the first time I clipped in and tried to get them unclipped while my legs was at the top of the stroke, there wasn't room to twist my foot out!! learn now to unclip a half way round the stroke and then was happy clipped in while out of town.

Just managed to climb a 10 - 15% cobbled slope due to traction problems on the cobbles (wasn't clipped in at the time), will have to go back and see if I can do a better job next time!!

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/402740

Cheers

CS

*parachute position = mountain bike riding position designed to catch as much air as possible!! :lol:

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Re: Cruz'ing (near) the Forth Road Bridge in Scotland

currystomper wrote: Hi All

I went out on the cruz again this weekend, it was a howling westerly, so while it was hard work on the cruz', I don''t think I would have bothered going out in the parachute* position. Never really relaxed due to the wind on the way out and tired legs on the way back.

I got clipped in for the first time on this ride- panicked the first time I clipped in and tried to get them unclipped while my legs was at the top of the stroke, there wasn't room to twist my foot out!! learn now to unclip a half way round the stroke and then was happy clipped in while out of town.

Just managed to climb a 10 - 15% cobbled slope due to traction problems on the cobbles (wasn't clipped in at the time), will have to go back and see if I can do a better job next time!!

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/402740

Cheers

CS

*parachute position = mountain bike riding position designed to catch as much air as possible!! :lol:

That's a great looking conversion, and a very scenic ride you get to enjoy. Regarding "clipping out" I guess we all develop our own routines. I position my heel next to the TFT and snap my heel inward, so when my SPD clips release, my heel lightly whacks the TFT. Maria snaps her heel outward to unclip, a technique that when I do it, causes my joints some pain. Different strokes for different folks.
Thanks for the great pics!

Jim

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
I built my Silvio up with tri bars once, so almost no leverage. On a short curved slow uphill I couldn't pull enough to stay balanced and started to fall while pedaling. I found I could unclip and land the foot on the ground in one single movement. Phew! So the heal-outwards method as the foot heads to ground is what I favour.

currystomper

The End of the Beginning

Hi All

I think I'm at the end of the beginning riding my conversion - still lots to learn but generally I can jump on and ride away, happy to do 40+ miles on it. I think I can rip up the L plates*

I've stopped always taking the Cruz because I'm learning and am now just taking it out when I want to, which is er... 90% of the time :lol:

While riding the conversion with my son (who was on he racing bike) I was thinking how to describe the cruzbike ride to someone who isn't into them. I think that if it was a car it would be a GT (grand tourer) nearly as fast as a racing bike over short distances but as fast and more comfortable over long distances - on a multi day ride the only bike I would consider would be a Cruz.

cheers

CS
* in the UK you have to put L plates on a car while you are learning to drive