CruzinSpeed

chrisblessing

This past week I swapped out the 16t sprocket on the Nuvinci N360 for a 15t. If the Sheldon Brown's calculator is to be believed I have a gear inch of 17.2 to 99.5. I did a quick 15km this morning and am pleased to note that I've about nailed it for a 20" bike in a very hilly city. Going from a low of 15 to 17 still gives me all the low end I'm likely to ever need, while getting from 93 to 99 means spinning out at around 38 KMh or better, instead of 32.

Next week I'll pack it up to Thailand and will try out the 14t for the mostly flat terrain.

Nuvinci's specs call for an input ratio of no more than 1.8:1. The supplied 16t sprocket gave me 1.75:1, while the 15t gives me 1.86:1, so I'm not terribly concerned that I'll have an issue.

Chris

chrisblessing

Nuvinci

Hi Jim,

I fiddle with the Nuvinci all the time. It invites me to. As for the Patterson-Metropolis, if I had to choose I'd keep the Nuvinci. I'd still need a compact double or a triple for climbing, but not having a derailleur keeps things much less complicated. I love how my chain line never changes, and how I don't have to pause to shift with either apparatus.

I've been riding in rain and mud for the past week and it's great to just hose it all down when I'm back.

Chris

chrisblessing

CruzinSpeed with rider

It occurs to me that showing the bike with a rider might add some perspective. So here it is (https://plus.google.com/u/1/photos/117301120409813217676/albums/5939399623565669361) with my ungainly self perched on top. You'll quickly notice how low the bottom bracket is, and how close the handlebars are. The BB doesn't bother me in the least. I can't recline any further anyhow. The handlebar closeness is irksome at times, but I'm hoping to find the perfect bullhorns when I'm in the States in December. Otherwise, it's a great ride.

It's worth noting as well that I compared my My Tracks records from the past year, over which time I've gone from a compact double (39/53) and 11-28 cassette, to a Patterson-Metropolis CVT and then a Nuvinci N360. Overall, my gear-inch has expanded from about 24-93 to 15-99, using a 15t sprocket on the Nuvinci. My average rolling speed with all iterations has remained at about 18 KMh, and max speed around 30 KMh. So, I can climb better than ever, and haven't lost anything on cruising speeds. In the much more hilly terrain of Kuala Lumpur I climb at about 10-12 KMh and descend at 40-55 KMh, spinning out at around 38-40.

I'm pleased with how this has turned out. It fits neatly into my regulation size Dahon Airporter Mini (minus the rear wheel but plus all added gear) and, with the addition of the PM/Nuvinci, is ready to ride in about 1/2 hour. It's heavier than I'd wish, but perfectly doable and more than meets my needs for easy transport.

Many thanks to all the forum membership for your support and encouragement over the past year.

Cheers,

Chris

chrisblessing

Layback seatpost

You bet Charles. I've been poking around online for something. Can you recommend where I might look. I found a way to tip the seat bottom up a bit as well, so more recline would be great.

Thanks,

Chris