Cruztrike???

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
Research into a tilting trike is still ongoing, last I heard. This concept didn't pan out.

Last edited:

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
has anyone tried converting Cruzbike to a delta trike?

Flevotrike wanna be maybe.
I made a prototype delta trike out of my Silvio.
It was a lot of fun.

... and then I had another kiddo and life otherwise got in the way ...
Anyway, I'm working on rev 2 now (where the main difference is that it will be robust enough to do some real riding with, and likely easier to mount, as it won't require removing the rear triangle/stays). I have the new CAD model done, and the main blocker is finding a fabricator (whom I'd be paying) to really build the rev 2.

Videos from Rev 1 here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkUdWeitTy72bupqHJSdniamnwDhBelEr

If you know of a good fabricator, lemme know.

3WHELZ

Guru
I had exchange email with Lucia in March. She indicated that it is still planned; not sure when we may be see a first release. I would like to covert my Silvio 1.0 for my wife, and replace it with a S40. For space reasons, I may need to thin our herd if we bring one more recumbent into the family.

Gromit

Guru
Jim Parker posted some design objectives for the "Cruztrike" but no release date for the conversion kit, in a thread about tilting trikes on BentRider Online forum.

"The best thing about the tilting trike is that it is really fun to ride. I can see from the video you are enjoying the experience. I like your design and it is similar to what we have been working on. Cruzbike has a lot of irons in the fire right now, but we have not given up on a tilting trike that makes use of our proven FWD system.
Desired features:
Easy-on easy-off tilt lock, at any angle (not in increments).
Brakes for both rear wheels.
Wide track width for stability (like most trikes).
At least 45 degrees of tilt.
Minimal tire scrub.
Not too heavy (or expensive).

Happy to collaborate. Keep me updated on your progress.
I believe that if we can get all of the above features, this would become a very popular trike.

Jim @ Cruzbike.com"

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
More secure cornering in wet, snow, gravel. Mainly they're supposed to be a hoot. Plus I'm not so old I need a tadpole.

Last edited:

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
More secure cornering in wet, snow, gravel. Mainly they're supposed to be a hoot. Plus I'm not so old I need a tadpole.
In the case of my design, you get balance assist near vertical, which means you can putter away uphill slowly without falling over at far lower speeds than normal. You can stop at a light without unclipping. Etc yadda yadda.

I took a non-tilt-lock approach (balance assist != tilt-lock) so I couldn't forget to disengage the tilt lock and then roll during cornering.

I wanted to make something that could get me to a steep, slick-with-rain, smooth asphalt hill.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
I took a non-tilt-lock approach (balance assist != tilt-lock) so I couldn't forget to disengage the tilt lock and then roll during cornering.

I wanted to make something that could get me to a steep, slick-with-rain, smooth asphalt hill.

Got it. That you've done this without a tilt-lock seems more desirable.

Rod Butler

http://trego-trolley.com/

Is this a consideration?..... Just need someone with a few spare dollars (I think about 1k) and a workshop to test it out.
The small wheels at the rear of a Cruzbike would not look attractive at all, but I like the mechanism and the fitting.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master

benphyr

Guru-me-not
http://trego-trolley.com/

Is this a consideration?....The small wheels at the rear of a Cruzbike would not look attractive at all, but I like the mechanism and the fitting.
Great connection made Rod!

It would look a little more like a penny farthing!

On a technical note, the connection would need to be at the same angle as a front fork- at least roughly - for the tilting to function for us. It would not be plug-and-play to the rear of a Cruzbike. Standard diamond frame front fork very roughly ~70 degrees, Cruzbike rear ~145? degrees. It would be a trike but not tilting until the attachment point is rotated appropriately. Pretty sweet idea though.

NeaL

Guru

When I took my kids with me to the Recumbent Cycle-Con in Philadelphia last October, it hadn't occurred to me that they would be totally oblivious to the stigma about trikes being something which old people or those with disabilities would ride. They hopped onto anything they thought looked fun to ride and rode them through the expo hall, outside to the riding area, and simply had a blast.

I think people are missing out on the fun aspects of riding trikes, and recumbents in general. My kids are 15, 13, and 11 and I'm getting a T50 for each of them. The youngest also wants a Catrike and the middle child wants an ICE Sprint, too.
How many of us got into recumbents at so young an age? This is how Bikism will be defeated, by starting them young and increasing the market demand for recumbents. UCI will have to get with the times or disappear as a relic of the past.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
People will look up "bicycle" and see pictures of the weird old bikes their ancestors used to ride - DF bikes. People will see someone on a DF and say "Bizarre contraption, doesn't look safe to me," and dive out of the way. People who have DF will post on the DF forum, complaining because the IHPVA will not let them do Le Tour.

Maybe.

Rod Butler

Great connection made Rod!

It would look a little more like a penny farthing!

On a technical note, the connection would need to be at the same angle as a front fork- at least roughly - for the tilting to function for us. It would not be plug-and-play to the rear of a Cruzbike. Standard diamond frame front fork very roughly ~70 degrees, Cruzbike rear ~145? degrees. It would be a trike but not tilting until the attachment point is rotated appropriately. Pretty sweet idea though.

Another pretty sweet idea.....
https://steerstopper.com/
Just saw it today.
It seems like just what I need.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
Here is tilt (and tilt lock!) accembly from Valkyrie:

p6270056.jpg

Neat, huh?
valkyrie.png