CYCLIQ Fly 6 Rear LED Light & HD Camera

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
OK, I did some reading about this device and I also saw where a couple of folks have installed it on their Cruzbikes.

I want to install one on my Silvio 2.0+ but I have a Bent Up Cycles Recumbent Bag (see below) and am using the stock headrest. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might best mount this puppy?

TIA

aero_bag.jpg

One idea I had - *untested*
Bolt one of the bar add on bottle cage holders to the back of the bag (you'll have to punch 2 small holes in the bag for the screws) then mount a bar end in the other end so you now have a small seatpost back there. I think Ratz was doing something similar, but his solutions are generally more elegant.

This post has ideas on mounting the bag.

Last edited:

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Thanks for the replies...my issue is not mounting the bag...but finding a way to mount the Fly6 with my Aero Bag installed.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
One idea I had - *untested*
Bolt one of the bar add on bottle cage holders to the back of the bag (you'll have to punch 2 small holes in the bag for the screws) then mount a bar end in the other end so you now have a small seatpost back there. I think Ratz was doing something similar, but his solutions are generally more elegant.

This post has ideas on mounting the bag.
I think that using the Minoura Strap-On Bottle Boss the way you suggest with the Fly6 will introduce too much movement. Can anyone confirm this?

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I have my fly6 mounted to the rear left fender bolthole, via a Paul Gino light mount, with a Nob mount then attached to the Gino mount, pointing up (i.e. the nobby bit is on top).
I then strap the fly6 onto the Nob and Gino with the rubber bands that came with the Fly6.
On the tour of the East Coast I'm about to complete with my S30, it hasn't come off once, and we've gone over some *TERRIBLE* road surfaces.
It has a reasonable view of the road, though it is shaky. Better shaky video and blinkly-light than nothing, however!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
You should try the West Coast through Washington and Oregon, where I was replacing broken spokes on a hand built strong 26" drive wheel on my Quest most nights due to potholes and subsided roads adjacent to bridges!!!
The scenery was worth it thou!!!!!
I got very fast at removing tyres and clusters!

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
So I'm thinking about mounting my Fly6 on the horizontal portion at the top of the headrest because that would put it in an elevated position away from my Aero Bag.

I was thinking about trying to create a mount using two PVC T connectors. I envision cutting the horizontal portion of one T in half (I would use the half I remove on the backside of the headrest to protect the paint) I would secure the two halves at the top of the headrest with two small hose clamps. I would then add a coupler and glue the remaining T to the coupler vertically to provide an attachment platform for the Fly6.

upload_2015-6-22_14-38-23.png

What do you think? Am I nuts? Is there a simpler way to mount the Fly6?

TIA

UPDATE:

I scrapping this idea for now...I can't find the PVC fittings that I need so I am going to try something else...the Minoura BH-95X Bicycle Water Bottle Cage Mounting Bracket. So I'm thinking that I am going to attach it at the top of the headrest bar. I'm going to get a piece of PVC pipe and cut it to about 4 inches. I am then going to drill matching holes to mate it to the BH-95X. Once I have the PVC secured, I will attach the FLY6. Seems a lot simpler...we'll see.
k2-_6ac6d1e8-b6e7-46a0-bfdf-795102523471.v1.jpg-ed9a47710f35fbd6e2e80bbcb10daff7d006096b-optim-450x450.jpg

Another Update:

After mounting the Fly6, it is very solid. The only problem is that it sticks out so far toward the rear of the bike, that I can barely get into my bag. See image below. Back to the drawing board.

I found some 3/4" od. black furniture grade PVC that is much thicker and stronger than what I previously used. I am going to fabricate my own Saddle "T". I am cutting two small pieces of the black furniture grade PVC (~1.5" and ~6"). I will cut the 1.5" piece almost in half to create the base of my "T". I will create the vertical of the "T" ~6 inches long. This will allow me to attach the fabricated "T" directly to the rear of the headrest which will in turn raise the Fly6 and bring it closer to the headrest itself so that it will no longer block entry to my bag. My only concern is that my "T" might have a tendency to contact my helmet...but I may be able to angle it enough to make that a non issue.

Imagine this in black and about 6 inches tall.

1Unr7kS

Attachments

• 20150704_234654.jpg
    20150704_234654.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: