Dealing with Motorists

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I have lived in many different places and have seen many things, but there are some of the worst drivers here in Columbia, SC I have ever seen.

I commute to work by bike and rarely have an issue (except for the pack of feral dogs yesterday) but today I had to take a detour for a medical appointment that was scheduled this morning. As a result, I was on a stretch of road I don't normally ride; one road on the way there had a beautiful 4 foot bike lane which was nice and the segment where I had issues was a four lane, 35 MPH, three-mile stretch with a decent shoulder except for where the storm grates were.

What I encountered on this three mile segment:
  1. Someone in a Ford Mustang with a horn than must have been stuck
  2. A man in a sedan questioning both my sexuality and my choice of transport
  3. A fellow in a worn-out pick-up truck who doesn't understand that red lights mean stop
  4. A police officer, who was there at the intersection when the driver (see item 3) caused me to endo, that didn't do a thing :-/
Besides that, it was a great day to ride a bike.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
You're Invisible

-And I can prove it right now:
I cannot see you!

Seriously, I feel your pain.
And it is a great time of the year to be out riding.

Stay safe and keep smiling.
For some reason, smiling really angers angry people!
Smiling is really for your own good. Happy people make better decisions.

-Steve

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Steve

I was able to dust myself off and ride the rest of the way with a smile. A few scrapes on me, but nothing major to be upset about. Thanks for the positive words to live and ride by.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Ah, so when I have days like

Ah, so when I have days like that, its not because I'm riding a cruzbike? You mean, everyone has those days? :)

Wait till you get your cruzbike Andrew, then you will have a proper reason to cause such mayhem! Hope your scrapes clear up quickly.

psychling

picking a fight with fate

I look like an alien spacecraft when on the bike. Blinding flashing lights, day-glo irridescent clothing, knee socks that are bright white, 2 dozen 18" long 1" wide irridescent PINK plastic ribbons flailing about like a medusa's head in the wind.

None of these force a driver who is not looking to see you.

Just do your best to improve your odds.

Or stay on that couch, eating bon-bons, and watching Little Rascal reruns. (And probably die a centenarian bc you've got the bloody genes).

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
just a bit sore today

I woke to some aches and pains, the worst of which ia a bruised palm; it definitely makes it hard to hold the handlebar. At least nothing was broken.

John, I look forward to causing a bit of mayhem. I like being different and getting noticed isn't all for selfish reasons. IF they notice me, then they're seeing me and being seen is important out there.