derailleur advice

ccf

Guru
I need to get a new rear derailleur for my S30. I've been using a SRAM X7, and I find that it often mis-shifts, so I'd like something better. I'm running 10-speed, 11-36 rear, 34/50 compact. I wouldn't mind going to a cassette with a 40 or 42, but I'd rather not have to switch to 11-speed because I'd have to buy new brifters.

I see that the latest S30 and V20 both use SRAM GX long cage. Would that be better? Any suggestions?

-Cliff

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I wouldn't think that a derailleur would cause a mis-shift, unless it was badly worn to the point the pivot points are all wobbly, but that hardly seems likely. Assuming the derailleur has been kept lubricated, when was the last time you did a serious overhaul; new cables/housings, etc.? With everything being optimal, usually, mis-shifts and poor shifting is a function of the shifter being worn. At least, that's been my experience. Derailleurs do wear out, but I've only seen a couple and they were on bikes with a lot more miles than I'd expect your S30 has on it. Shifters, on the other hand, wear out all the time and sometimes, pretty quickly.

Mark

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I need to get a new rear derailleur for my S30. I've been using a SRAM X7, and I find that it often mis-shifts, so I'd like something better. I'm running 10-speed, 11-36 rear, 34/50 compact. I wouldn't mind going to a cassette with a 40 or 42, but I'd rather not have to switch to 11-speed because I'd have to buy new brifters.

I see that the latest S30 and V20 both use SRAM GX long cage. Would that be better? Any suggestions?

-Cliff

I have two SRAM GX long cage 10 speeds unused. Got them to prove that the GX line is not 11 speed compatible even with the correct shifter pull rates. Yes that is true, it doesn't work the derailleur does not have enough left right travel. 10 speed is the last fully compatible MTB and Road Tech for the SRAM stuff.

$10 and shipping and your welcome to one of them; should be perfect; just hit with a PM you want it.

But if you are mis-shifting you should verify that derailleur hanger isn't bent