Destroyed Silvio

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
If I ever want to ride a Cruzbike again, I will have to get one.

I did a really stupid thing. I let someone ride it. He fell off. The frame snapped.

Other people have ridden it before. And fallen off. But I should not have let them, really, should I?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 148

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
He put one foot on the pedal. He took his other foot off the ground. The bike went over sideways, with him on it. Did not seem hurt at all.

BentAero

Those close-up photos are so abstract, I can't tell what I'm looking at.

Regardless, I'd shoot Jim a PM or email and make him aware of it. A large part of my job is noticing clues that might develop into trends, and reporting them to our engineering and warranty staff at the parent company. On two separate occasions we (the USA staff) were the first to identify a problem that evolved into a world-wide product recall.
I'm not saying that is what's happening with your frame, it may be a totally isolated incident, but it's important to let Jim know so he can record it.

mzweili

Guru
He put one foot on the pedal. He took his other foot off the ground. The bike went over sideways, with him on it
If the bike didn't hit something hard on the road, I don't see how this aluminum part could fail like that.
There was maybe a hidden material weakness, micro-crack or something like that. It looks like a twisting force caused the part to fail.
A closer look at the broken surface should give more information.
I hope Cruzbike will replace your frame.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
How heavy was this guy???
And did he sit on the bike when it was leaned over at 45 degrees, as I can not see how a twisting fracture like shown could have occurred?
Has the bike been transported in a plane recently in a cardboard box, as I have seen how Aussy baggage handlers THROW bags into the hold of a plane!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
He was not a big bloke. He was still on it as it hit the ground. I heard the crack. At that moment I could see that the seat was at a funny angle. He had difficulty getting up as the bars trapped his legs.

I have only rode it. The only time it was sent anywhere was when Cruzbike sent it to me.

If the pictures I posted reminded you of "this week's mystery object" then try these

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 131

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for a wider view photos, as I can see where the fracture occurred!
It looks like a tensile failure of the welded connection of the bottom stay to the frame
With the Silvio V2.0 (27 degree seat back) onwards the tensile load at this connection is 284 mm /198 mm = 1.44 times the rear wheel vertical load.
Have you been airborne very often when descending down steep hills?
What does the quality and size of the welding look like?

For my ANCIENT Silvio V1.0 (45 degree seat back) the tensile load is 138 mm / 360 = 0.38 time the rear wheel vertical load, so I am safe to get airborne lots of time with my light 110 kg engine on the bike.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Duly noted. We'll take it from here with bladderhead. This isn't a crack I've seen before.
Based on the story of this frame, this break is more likely caused by multiple falls to the side than from normal tensile forces at the weld.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Jim

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Happy Christmas

Thank you Cruzbike! And it the new version! One-piece seat!

If any Parkers or Hollers etc are reading this, good packaging. I work in a freight shipping company. We all are continuously dumbfounded by the stupid packaging we see. What do the customers think we do with their stuff? Your stuff is well protected.

Now begins the slow process of disassembling the old one. I will send Cruzbike the frame and seat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 63