Di2 eTube Application - Call for Help

VenRiderGuy

For those of you who are riding with the Shimano Di2 system, I am asking for your help or suggestions.

I purchased a used Vendetta 2.0 a short while back from this forum - GREAT forum and GREAT bike. The bike is equipped with the Di2 6870 Groupset. I also received the Shimano SM-BCR2 with the bike. The Di2 system shifts exceedingly well….no complaints at all, and I’ve even used the SM-BCR2 to charge the battery successfully.

I’ve been wanting to explore the eTube Application possibilities with my system, but so far haven’t been able to get the eTube Application to recognize any of my components. I connect the SM-BCR2 to my laptop and in turn connect the SM-BCR2 to the connection port on the junction (5-port) box. The eTube Application recognizes the SM-BCR2 and even allows me to download the latest firmware update for the SM-BCR2, but nothing else in the Groupset is recognized and displayed no matter which option I select or button I click. I have selected the Road Bike option. And, whether my laptop has an Internet connection or not, the results are the same except for the firmware update.

Now, I’ve spent a LONG career in software development/programming and so I’m not a total dummy when it comes to running applications, whether PC based or not. However, I can’t seem to get anywhere with this software.

I’m beginning to wonder if the system is wired correctly even though it functions very well, but even with extended Googling sessions, there isn’t a whole lot of chatter on the Web about using/troubleshooting the eTube application, and so I am reaching a dead end of sorts.

Any similar experiences or suggestions?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
After the phase where it does the firmware checks. You'll get a screen that looks like this
Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.45.48 PM.png
When you see that screen you have to hit check connection at which point it will search forever and then you'll finally get to the customize screen.

If you can get the check connection to pass then you have a loose or damaged wire, in which case disconnect them all with the tool and then reconnect them and make sure they snap into place.

The only problem I ever have getting a connection comes from using vmware on a mac; and if the SM-BCR2 is first connected when the mac has focus over vmware then the mac steals the device mount need for the customization check to work; But the firmware part still works because it's on a different USB identifier.

VenRiderGuy

Ratz,

Thanks for the response....much appreciated. I'm thinking that maybe I wasn't waiting long enough for the search to complete, so I will try again and just leave it running for a while. If that doesn't work, I may have to start looking for wiring issues.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ratz,

Thanks for the response....much appreciated. I'm thinking that maybe I wasn't waiting long enough for the search to complete, so I will try again and just leave it running for a while. If that doesn't work, I may have to start looking for wiring issues.

I would describe it as between annoying long and frustratingly long.