Di2 on Silvio 2

BentBierz

BBL said:
I drilled a hole at

BBL said:
I drilled a hole at the base of the boom

I would really like to internally route the wiring for the SON dyno hub lighting system I am putting on my Silvio 2.0. I like what BBL did and I have full confidence in my ability to properly drill and grommet a couple of holes. What I'm not confident about is the advisability of doing this or, if possible, the best place to drill.

Just curious what the thoughts are of others. Thanks.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
BBL, thanks

BBL, thank you. I've been looking for a mirror like that to go on the drop bars that are on my Sofrider.

KM

counterpoint

SRAM Red/Force & Yaw makes Di2 less of a wet dream

for what it's worth: I've read comments to the effect that after installing SRAM Force or Red shifters riders struck electronic shifters from their wish list. Apparently, the new front derailleur yaw mechanism, coupled with Yokozuna cables are that good. Of course, I'm only saying that because I can't afford the Di2 and because I ordered Red components :)

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
for what it's worth: I've

for what it's worth: I've read comments to the effect that after installing SRAM Force or Red shifters riders struck electronic shifters from their wish list. Apparently, the new front derailleur yaw mechanism, coupled with Yokozuna cables are that good. Of course, I'm only saying that because I can't afford the Di2 and because I ordered Red components [Smile]

Even well-tuned SRAM X.5/7/9/00 systems shift buttery smooth. The only real advantage I see for the electric systems is that you don't need to tune them (as much). (Likewise, I can't afford the Di2 shifters either :D )

BentBierz

for what it's worth: I've

for what it's worth: I've read comments to the effect that after installing SRAM Force or Red shifters riders struck electronic shifters from their wish list. Apparently, the new front derailleur yaw mechanism, coupled with Yokozuna cables are that good. Of course, I'm only saying that because I can't afford the Di2 and because I ordered Red components

STILL waiting for my Red WiFLi RD and cassette...

Do you think the Di2 install

Do you think the Di2 install would be much more difficult on a Silvio 2 without the chain stay extender? I am considering it on my new silvio that is yet to arrive. I am trying to compile a list of parts and I don't know anything about this sport. Please advise.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Di2 would be no more

Di2 would be no more difficult on a Silvio 2 without the chain stay extender, as there are other places available to locate the required parts.

What are the details on your

What are the details on your DI2 groupset?
Where did you purchase it?
I will be talking to the bike shop that will be building my Silvio about ording the DI2, but wanted to do some research on my own in advance.

BBL

Details on Di2 Groupset

AggieRay74 ........

I bought an upgrade kit from Planet Cyclery. The cost was $1,148. It was their part number GSX1040-1-PMFRB (2013 Shimano Ultegra 6770 Di2 Upgrade Kit Internal). You can see what is included on their website at http://www.planetcyclery.com/group-sets/2013-shimano-ultegra-6770-di2-upgrade-kit-internal/ . It looks like the price now is $1,195. In addition to this kit, you will need the crank, brake calipers, rear cog, chain (if you are using the chain stay extender, you will need extra chain), etc, etc. I bought an additional 1000mm cable from bikebling.com for $34.99. Di2 IS a little pricey. Whether it is worth the price is a matter of opinion.

I like the Di2, but don't expect too much. In the past I have used lower end shifters, Shimano Ultegra shifters, and SRAM force shifters. Properly adjusted they were all excellent, and I could tell little difference in performance. None caused me to go faster or slower. The one thing I have come to like on the Di2 is that I can shift from just about any hand position. On mechanical shifters going from smaller to larger cogs requires a little more effort. With the Di2, I can shift with my little finger from any hand position. No....... I did not drop $1K to be able to shift with my little fingers. For me it was just an experiment to see what the big deal on Di2 was all about. Ultegra Di2 has a 3-position auto trim feature that I like. People have mentioned on the Cruzbike website that it really isn't required. Still, I like this feature. Di2 is easy to adjust, and supposedly requires less maintenance. Properly done, it makes for a very clean installation. There is a lot of good information online regarding installation and adjustment of Di2.

As John Tolhurst has pointed out, you don't need a chain stay extension to mount Di2. Whatever means you decide for mounting the battery pack, I recommend you have a solid plan before you begin your build. Otherwise you may be rebuilding parts of your bike several times. The standard Di2 battery mount is designed to mate via water bottle screws (check this out online, if you haven't already). The battery mounts to a bar that ends up in close proximity to the bottom bracket of a standard diamond frame bicycle. You will not find such an easy means of attaching the battery mounting bar on the Silvio. Getting a clean installation on the Silvio will require some planning, and frame modifications (hole in the boom by the bottom bracket and extending the bracket that holds the forward derailleur at a minimum).

Good luck on your build.

What is the difference in an

What is the difference in an internal versus an external battery mount?
What I could find so far is that the internal battery mount is for a bike frame designed for the DI2.
Is that right?

BBL

External vs Internal Di2 Battery Mount

In the context used by Planet Cyclery, "internal" or "external" refers to how you plan to rout the wires. Well..... sort of. It's a little confusing.

The Planet Cyclery internal upgrade kit is the same as the external upgrade kit except that the internal kit has the internal battery mount. The internal battery mount has several removable extra parts. It has a forward bracket and shroud, a rear bracket, and a wire guide that fits between the brackets. This allows you to hide the wire coming out of the front of the battery receiver. The wire makes a u-turn, goes beneath the battery mounting bar, and then into a hole in the bicycle tube in the vicinity of the bottle holder screws. If you Google "SM-BMR2", then go to images, you will see examples of the external and internal mounting bars. Bottom line is that if you order the internal upgrade kit, you will end up with a few more parts. You can use it as an internal kit or remove the extra parts and use it as an external kit. The confusing part is that getting the external kit in no way precludes you from routing your wires internally.

The url below is a pdf from Shimano describing installation of the Di2. Although it is for the DuraAce version, the battery, battery mounting bar, and wire routing approaches are common to the Ultegra version.

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50lparsys-0034-downloadFile.html/10)%20Di2%20Wire%20Kit%20Instructions.pdf

Thanks, I now have a better

Thanks, I now have a better idea of what I will order with the bike shop after they receive my Silvio.