Did I buy the right bike? I think so. Help me make sure

lylewedel

Hello to all,

I am a velomobile rider from TN. I have been looking for a recumbent that will climb as we have lots of hills here. I can climb with the Rotovelo but it is hard work and slow...

Been intrigued with the FWD Cruzbikes ever since discovering them online. I wanted a Silvio but ended up buying a slightly used Vendetta V20 from Chicago.

The first evening on the bike I was wondering what have I done?? This is a wild animal!! Will I ever ride this bike??

Understand where I come from in the cycling experience... Casual riding on a Mountain bike then wanted to commute for daily exercise, ended up in a velomobile. No 2 wheel recumbent experience to speak of ...

Kept reading the learning instructions on this forum and kept trying a little every evening that I had time....

Couple weeks later... I commuted to work (6 miles) 2 times this week! Very happy with the speed and especially the climbing! I think I scared a few motorists with my weaving/instability but that also is getting better...

I am not really a DIY person so I need some help.

Can this bike be set up with rack and bags or such so I can take a few things along?

What about weather protection?

How do I mount headlight and taillights? Wanting to use Dinotte for both, or is something else better?

Thanks,

Lyle

V20 - 2.jpg

BentAero

Lyle,
Like the old joke "how do I get to Carnegie Hall?" -practice, practice, practice.

I think all of us had that 'what have I done' feeling at first, it goes away with miles. I remember my first on the road ride; I was terrified.

Those of us who live in the hills sold our other recumbent(s), bought V's, and would never go back. They do climb well.

Search out threads from Rick Youngblood and Ratz. They both have lots of multi-Cruzbike experience with a variety of setups. A few owners have mounted Dinote lights with good success, just search the forum.

And btw, welcome. You're home.

I'm at 400 miles on my Silvio - still have lot to learn. Still weave a bit, still wobble, still have hose "oh crap" moments of balance when reaching for something or in a downhill sprint. Fell over in a low speed turn today - brick pavement.

BUT! It's faster (and a LOT more comfortable) than my 19 pound CF Trek. I've gotten PRs on almost every segment I've ridden and one KOM I thought I'd never claim even with my stability issues. Imagine what it'll be like once I master this thing :)

I can deal with a few skinned elbows while I learn. Beats the broken collarbone the Trek gave me when I hit a curb.

Is it me or do I sound accident prone? :oops:

LMT

Hi

Nice bike and velo, keep getting the miles in and practise slow figure of eights at the local car park when it's quiet and your handling will come on in leaps and bounds.

Regarding your other questions:-

An accessory mount bought from Terracycles or the like can bolt straight onto the front light mount. For rear lights I've made a small slit in the headrest cover, mounted a bracket to the headrest tubing and have mounted a rear light that way.

You can buy bags from the website, the Nordic? bag works particular well and can be slung either from the boom or to the frame under the seat. Terracycles also do a rear bag that fits rather well over the headrest, and the solo racer panniers that you can buy from radical work really well. Not sure about fitting a pannier rack or mudguards, you might be able to bodge something...

I've never used dinotte lights, I have A Fenix BC30 for the front and smart LED for the rear - both work really well.

Suz

Yes yes and yes you did the right thing!

I felt like a drunk driver for weeks with my wobbles - but it will come with time. The front wheel drive was tough to learn but it's a completely different beast. One you'll learn to love. Just keep reading and apply all the pointers and you'll come to love it.

I just put a light on my handlebars and a taillight in my camelback that I attach to the back if the headrest but the guys on the site have some incredible mods to review for bags lights water bottles etc.

I use bags from revelate designs. One fits under the seat and one on the boom. I'll post pics later.

Good luck!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
W
Hello to all,

I am a velomobile rider from TN. I have been looking for a recumbent that will climb as we have lots of hills here. I can climb with the Rotovelo but it is hard work and slow...

Been intrigued with the FWD Cruzbikes ever since discovering them online. I wanted a Silvio but ended up buying a slightly used Vendetta V20 from Chicago.

The first evening on the bike I was wondering what have I done?? This is a wild animal!! Will I ever ride this bike??

Understand where I come from in the cycling experience... Casual riding on a Mountain bike then wanted to commute for daily exercise, ended up in a velomobile. No 2 wheel recumbent experience to speak of ...

Kept reading the learning instructions on this forum and kept trying a little every evening that I had time....

Couple weeks later... I commuted to work (6 miles) 2 times this week! Very happy with the speed and especially the climbing! I think I scared a few motorists with my weaving/instability but that also is getting better...

I am not really a DIY person so I need some help.

Can this bike be set up with rack and bags or such so I can take a few things along?

What about weather protection?

How do I mount headlight and taillights? Wanting to use Dinotte for both, or is something else better?

Thanks,

Lyle

View attachment 588
Welcome to the Tribe lyle.

One simple piece of advice for now. Surrender yourself to the joy of a child with their first bike. How many adults get to experience that feeling? You'll wobble. You'll fall. But if you surrender to the experience you're in for a joy few adults never know.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Haaaa, there's nothing quite like getting clipped in and taking your first hill. You think best not stop now otherwise the hill start will be an issue. And then when you get over the crest of the hill, the V takes off like an express train (and you are still clipped in). Just enjoy the ride. Nothing quite like it.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Here are some links to Forum pages with possible solutions to riding the Vendetta to work in all conditions.

As Ratz has said Designshine lights are better than Dinotte, which I agree as I now have both. See the link for comparisons in light output from varying angles, and mounting on the boom, either below the BB , or high using a Terracycle light mount.
Also a great benefit is that Stephen Pethel, the designer and builder of the lights is VERY helpful and knowledgeable, with far better design light than Dinotte, and with excellent support compared to Dinnotte.
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/shine-on-you-crazy-diamond.8461/

Crudbuster Mudguards are the best, as long as you use a thick cable tie at the brake post area to stop the WHOLE mudguard rotating forward if you pick up a stone on a Silvio V1.0 with 28 mm tyres and only 1 mm of clearance!!!
You have a LOT more room on a New Bright RED Vendetta!!!
Have a look at Ivan's Photos and description.
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/silvio-2-0-with-crud-roadracer-fenders.6653/#post-23763

here is a solution for bags that hang over the seat side, with the seat only held to the frame by Velcro strips.
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/silvio-2-0-with-panniers.6477/

Fitting a Bachetta Brain box on the rear of a standard Cruzbike seat.
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/custom-mount-bracket-for-bachetta-brain-box-bag.6112/

Here is a link of a POC??? carbon fibre seat and headrest, that has adjustable seat angles to suit the riding conditions.
The bag is a Bent Up Cycles Aero bag, with two water bottle holders, and needs the plastic insert as it is designed (as is the brain box) for a mesh seat with a wide frame!
http://www.bentupcycles.com/bent-up-cycles-aero-bag.html

I could not find the cruzbike link of Rick fitting this bag, so I guess he needs to chip in!!

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/my-adjustable-seat-testing.8060/#post-29292

Adjustable head rest, and variable seat angles on the standard Cruzbike seat
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/headrest-alternatives-for-silvio-or-vendetta-rick.8459/

A ventisit seat pad is a great comfort improvement.
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/first-vendetta-ride-woohoo.8241/#post-30409

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
If the bag options don't do it for you, I'm sure you could get a rack on the back. Look at the racks designed for disc brakes...

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Nice bike, Lyle and welcome!

I 'hate' to rain on your parade, but it's likely that you've made a big mistake.
Your Vendetta is, as you well know, unridable.
So, nice guy that I am, I'm willing to take it off your hands, as long
as you're ready to absorb a big loss.
Hey, I understand.
Everyone makes mistakes.
I won't tell anyone.
You can trust me.

-Steve

lylewedel

Nice bike, Lyle and welcome!

I 'hate' to rain on your parade, but it's likely that you've made a big mistake.
Your Vendetta is, as you well know, unridable.
So, nice guy that I am, I'm willing to take it off your hands, as long
as you're ready to absorb a big loss.
Hey, I understand.
Everyone makes mistakes.
I won't tell anyone.
You can trust me.

-Steve

Doc,

That was a good chuckle when I read that! Unfortunately for you it is going the other way. Hoping for best commute time ever tomorrow. We will see...

Lyle

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
That is good to hear! We tall everybody the same thing. Stick with it and you will be pleased. It is amazing how many do not!
Glad you did! Well Done!

lylewedel

Thinking maybe I did buy the right bike...

I completely destroyed all commute records yesterday morning. The FWD Cruzbike Vendetta now holds the top at 17 minutes, 36 seconds with an average speed of 21 mph!!

Second best is the Velocity Velos kit velo at 18 minutes, 23 seconds with an average speed of 20.0 mph.

That is 6.1 miles with 3 stop signs and one stop light.

Have less than 75 miles on the V20. I wonder what it will be like at 500 miles with a fitness level specific for this bike....

:) :rolleyes:

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Have less than 75 miles on the V20. I wonder what it will be like at 500 miles with a fitness level specific for this bike....

:) :rolleyes:

I kinda sorta think you bought the right bike, too. And, like you, I'll be very interested to see what things look like after 500 miles.

Well done, sir. :)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Your top speed will possibly only be limited to how much you want to be sweating when you get to work!;)