Did you ride today?

Jim Gerwing

No comparison

First of all the data that you are able to share is really top notch. I had a good look at your road race info from last weekend which is similar I'm sure to the kind of feedback NASA gets on their astronauts and their environment. Amazing.

My only two points of reference are (a) last year's results. Last year I was able to equal or beat 40km/hr average speed over one hour 15 times. So it was not a one time flukey event (environmental conditions were superb and I had a favourite route that I knew intimately). Because of the pain and numbness of a one hour effort on a DF bike, I didn't want to go any farther at maximum effort. The comparison here being that I'm seeing similar results between bikes but too early to call it a fair comparison and all indications are favouring the Vendetta. (B) about 1,000km indoors on rollers on the Quest with three outdoor rides (and then I got the V). With all the shake down rides and skills needing to be learned and consolidated (adding clippless pedals and getting a drink from a water bottle without losing control) it's not so odd to see big improvements early (beware the principle of diminishing returns). I am pleasantly surprised to enjoy a 40km/hr ride this early in the season and this early on a machine that is going to take some getting used to.

On a tangental note, while waiting for the V, watching video of the V in motion I would fantasize about racing along at speed. In all my fantasies, I was never out of breath or hurting from effort. This, clearly, was hopeful fiction. If I'm going to surpass my current standard, it will be at the edge of aerobic capacity. It is about the bike And the rider And a flat, hard surfaced road And the weather conditions. But what fun.

Jim Gerwing

Upping the anti

Another great ride on the Vendetta tonight. 40.9km/hr average speed on out and return TT (20km, total time-29:21)
wind @80* off course, 10km/hr. Humidity 75%. Temp 16*C.
My course, Wye Road, east of Sherwood Park is relatively flat (could be flatter).
41.8km/hr out and 40km/hr back
Once again I wasn't expecting anything to post about but I had a good start so I just kept pushing and the numbers kept showing.

I still need to get hydration issues sorted out.
I'd like a tighter, tidier tuck of my arms. (I'm making a case for bullhorns here)
That aero wheel thread is interesting.
I was 26 seconds off an all time PB at this distance. I hasten to add that a one hour effort at +41.5km/hr is my mark to beat. (tonight the weather wasn't perfect and I am not yet one with the machine AND I think I'm not yet in peak fitness for this year yet so there remains a reasonable expectation of better results still to come).

Swifter,

Jim

currystomper

Ready for a s24o ( < 24 hour overnight) trip

alt="Conversion loaded for touring"
2013-05-31%2007_54_15%20-%20Copy.jpg height:858px;
ready to go for a ~50 mile cycle and a camp tonight.

currystomper

Back from the S24O

Great Ride today

64 miles and 1946 feet of climb.

Saw a Library in a phone box
Had Haggis and chips by a lake
Had a black cloub roll AWAY from me.
Saw a deer in the middle of the road
and glider's over a church.

2013-05-31%2018%20(copy)_29_10.jpg height:634px; width:845px

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I really miss the UK. Sounds

I really miss the UK. Sounds like you had a fun time.

I used to see sailplanes near where I lived in Finstock, Oxfordshire. I lived there from 1988-1991. Is this what you mean by gliders? Or you talking about something else?

Don't be reading while riding mister! That's got to be worse than texting while driving. :)

-Eric

thebean

Well, I am averaging 100-150

Well, I am averaging 100-150 miles a week on the Silvio and am pleased at completing 32 miles in under 2 hours. I am confident that with the new Silvio 2.0 and the Rolff wheels, that I will be even faster. My goal is to complete the Tour de Tuscon in 6 hours and medal (110 miles). I am a very strong rider and feel with the right conditioning, that I can achieve this. As I have been on the hunt for steeper graded hills, and in finding them, have found that the Silvio continues to climb ridiculously well. Despite being a strong rider, I do believe I will have to stay with a triple (I believe Maria rides with one on her bike, and gosh knows, if she uses a triple then I know I absolutely have to!) I have not used the granny yet, but have maxed out, so it's a close call.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
We finally opted for a wide

We finally opted for a wide range cassette, up to 36, with a compact double. So the lowest gear is 34 front, 36 rear. We have this working with Shimano Di2. Sweet sweet sweet.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
135+ Miles Per Week

In response to "thebean"...
I average the same mileage as you just with my daily commute and have yet to spend two hours in the seat of the Silvio as my usual ride stops at 13.5 miles. I don't consider myself a strong rider, but with the Silvio, I can easily maintain a 17 mph average. Undoubtedly it is about the bike.

John...
A 34 x 36 combination using Di2? Now THAT is some brilliant engineering.

As for riding today, you betcha! We had threats of storms here in SC, but it is clear enough for me to get ready for the best part of my work day; MY COMMUTE!

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
A 34 x 36 combination using

A 34 x 36 combination using Di2? Now THAT is some brilliant engineering.

A team result, quite frankly.

currystomper

BACK FROM THE S24O

Hi Eric

Yes it was a sailplanes that I was watching at the weekend. (they are generally called gliders int he UK - but sailplanes is the correct name for them.)

In Fife its amazing how many miles of private roads track are "closed to motor vehicles" but open for bikes!!

CS

kenhardwick

2013 Oklahoma Freewheel

Here is recap of mileage for my rides to the Start of Oklahoma Freewheel (1st two rides) and then 8 days of Oklahoma Freewheel.
Riding Cruzbike Silvio. Lot's of hills...climbed to top of each of every hill without having to stop...Units are miles and feet.
2013OklahomaFreewheel.png height:357px; width:1075px

kenhardwick

Ride with the wind

Decided to ride with the wind today. So drove out 40 miles to Pauls Valley, Oklahoma. Then rode back to home in Norman.
Only time I stopped was at Signal Lights...

Really loving my Cruzbike Silvio. Totally comfortable on it now. Over 4,000 miles on it since purchasing one year ago.

Distance: 41.44 mi
Moving Time: 2:10:35
Elapsed Time: 2:12:44
Avg Moving Speed: 19.0 mph
Max Speed: 32.1 mph
Elevation Gain: 1,171 ft
Calories: 3,215 C
Avg Temperature: 79.6 F

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/333112869

kenhardwick

Norman Conquest - 46 mile ride

Had a great ride on my Silvio 1.5 this past Saturday....

Distance: 46.52 mi
Time: 2:41:45
Avg Temperature: 80.7 F
Avg Speed: 17.3 mph
Max Speed: 37.2 mph
Elevation Elevation Gain: 2,762 ft
Elevation Loss: 2,743 ft
Heart Rate Avg
HR: 137 bpm
Max HR: 166 bpm

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/341869064

NormanConquest2013Start.jpg

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
HA HA HA, look at all those

HA HA HA, look at all those grim pants dopes!!!!

Sorry, I suppose I shouldn't laugh, but just look at how much fun they arn't having! <chuckle> ... this picture sure tells my 1000 words.

kenhardwick

Real reason for SMILING....

Riding a Cruzbike Silvio is absolutely a reason to smile. And, I had a great time on this ride, not only was I passing DF riders on the downhills, I was actually passing a lot of DF riders on the uphills also. I was still smiling and comfortable after almost 3 hour non-stop riding.

But, the real reason I was smiling at this point was..this was the start of the ride...I had lined up at the front of al the 46 mile riders...
As I was starting and in my excitement of trying to get started, my front wheel slipped a couple of times before I finally got moving/pedaling. Surface was slick and I was pressing too hard/too fast on the pedals.
A friend of mine was standing along the curb and yelled out.."Hold on those horses, big boy !!!!" as my front tire was spinning..which of course got me smiling...