Diet: Low Carb and Ultra Cycling

The Brook

Hi all,

I'm 62 years old and my girlfriend and I started the Keto diet on Tuesday, so far, so good! I've kept my carb intake at under 50 MG/day, and was able to totally avoid sugar.

Today, I went on a 1 hour ride where I kept my heart rate between 125-130 bpm, and I was surprised at the energy I had.
I would have thought that my glucose levels should be very low after almost 3 days of low carbs, but my energy level was up.

Could I have already started burning ketones after such a short time, or was my body finding a hidden store of glucose?

Thanks for any insights.

Denis

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hi all,

I'm 62 years old and my girlfriend and I started the Keto diet on Tuesday, so far, so good! I've kept my carb intake at under 50 MG/day, and was able to totally avoid sugar.

Today, I went on a 1 hour ride where I kept my heart rate between 125-130 bpm, and I was surprised at the energy I had.
I would have thought that my glucose levels should be very low after almost 3 days of low carbs, but my energy level was up.

Could I have already started burning ketones after such a short time, or was my body finding a hidden store of glucose?

Thanks for any insights.

Denis
You should be going cold turkey in a week ... bread for me was the real addiction. 3 weeks without it and you will be clean.

The Brook

Well, after today's ride, I'm starting to see some benefits.
The scale shows 3 pounds removed in 4 days, but it is the effort I was able to put out, easily the best workout of this year.
My heart rate was continuously in the 135-145 range, my legs felt very strong all the way through my 1 hour workout. This loop I ride usually takes me about 8 minutes longer on my previous best days, and up to 15 minutes longer when my legs feel dead.

I don't know why I feel so good so soon, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth!

Denis

NeaL

Guru
I'm dabbling in keto at the moment. When cooking just for myself it's not a problem but looking up recipes... I have two kids who won't eat meat.
Phasing out the carb options a few things at a time, though.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I'm going back on full Keto diet as of yesterday. I have been a "bad" boy since Sebring and put on about 15 pounds! :eek:
Probably a combination eating too much and not riding as much. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Goal is to loose 22 by Sebring and ride at 65Kg. Secondary goal is to get my FTP up to 325 so my watts/Kg is 5. Then maybe I would be fast.. ;):cruzbike:;) ..er

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'm going back on full Keto diet as of yesterday. I have been a "bad" boy since Sebring and put on about 15 pounds! :eek:
Probably a combination eating too much and not riding as much. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Goal is to loose 22 by Sebring and ride at 65Kg. Secondary goal is to get my FTP up to 325 so my watts/Kg is 5. Then maybe I would be fast.. ;):cruzbike:;) ..er

The Hyperbole is strong with this one.

DavidCH

Hyperbole? Where? - Gotta try drastic measures ... or I could just put special bearings in my headset and go faster??
Helium in the frame would be easier :oops:

Just been on one of those Carnival cruise boats. The food on those boats is unbelievable. Thankfully it was only for a week.

LarryOz

22lbs lost train up to 325FTP

Equals

shopping-jpeg.5725
Are you saying that I will be "grumpy", or just shorter when I am done?

3bs

whereabouts unknown
here is a website i think is a great thinking spot. i don't have any financial interest or any connection at all. i heard about it on an Art of Manliness podcast on intermittent fasting, and it has a load of free articles.

so i can say with a serious face.... "no really, i read it for the articles....."

precisionnutrition dot com

The Brook

It's been 2 weeks since my girlfriend and I have started this Keto way of life, and so far, she's lost 5 pounds (not that she was much overweight, she wants to lose another 10 pounds) and I have lost 9 pounds, and about 2" off my waistline. I eat to satisfy my hunger, yet still loose weight. Amazing!

I still have the occasional craving for something sweet, but I tell myself that it's what got me in this overweight situation in the first place, that gives me the will power to resist the craving.

My goal is to lose another 30 lbs, that will put me at 185 lbs for my 6'2" frame.

I will need to speak to my doctor to adjust the dosage of my blood pressure medication, in the last few days, I have had some light headedness when I get up from a seated position, and my blood pressure while on the medication has gone down to 105 to 110 over 65 to 70, my pressure when I get up in the morning (before I take my pill) has been in the 120 to 125 over 75 to 80 range . Before I started Keto, it was closer to the 120 to 125 over 80 to 85 range while on the medication, and 128 to 135 over 82 to 86 range before I take my pill in the morning. So it seems like this is helping on this issue greatly !

Thanks to all those who have put out the word on this amazing way of life.

Denis

1happyreader

zen/child method
It's been 2 weeks since my girlfriend and I have started this Keto way of life,
Thanks to all those who have put out the word on this amazing way of life.

Denis
!!!!! INCREASE your SALT dramatically !!!!!!!!!
I know, I know, but try it , at least during the 6-8 week adaptation phase, you are putting your body thru.
Have you had any other symptoms ??? Headache, cramps, or fatigue ???

The Brook

I know, I know, but try it , at least during the 6-8 week adaptation phase, you are putting your body thru.

I've had a bit of an issue with constipation, I was irritable for a few days last week, and had a little fatigue, usually resolved by going out for a ride.
I have had some mild cramps in my legs after longer rides, but nothing different from before I went to Keto.

Shelley has had more fatigue, some flu like symptoms, and heartburn, where I have not had a single case heartburn since I started Keto.

I have increased my salt intake somewhat, but not to a big degree, didn't see anything about a major increase in any of the information on Keto I've read.
We have also been making broth, which we consume daily, maybe that's why I haven't had too many symptoms.

One thing I've noticed, is that after doing a 2 hour ride yesterday at high effort, in the past my legs would have been sore all night and stiff the next day, in this case, I was a little tender yesterday, and they feel pretty good today.

Regards,
Denis

LarryOz

I will need to speak to my doctor to adjust the dosage of my blood pressure medication, in the last few days, I have had some light headedness when I get up from a seated position, and my blood pressure while on the medication has gone down to 105 to 110 over 65 to 70, my pressure when I get up in the morning (before I take my pill) has been in the 120 to 125 over 75 to 80 range . Before I started Keto, it was closer to the 120 to 125 over 80 to 85 range while on the medication, and 128 to 135 over 82 to 86 range before I take my pill in the morning. So it seems like this is helping on this issue greatly !
I would suggest to do this quickly. I am no doctor, but I do know that you weight will affect your blood pressure dramatically. I would guess you already do not need the dosage you were taking and what you are taking is not too good for your body in its currently healthier state. Keep up the great work!

The Brook

I would suggest to do this quickly. I am no doctor, but I do know that you weight will affect your blood pressure dramatically. I would guess you already do not need the dosage you were taking and what you are taking is not too good for your body in its currently healthier state. Keep up the great work!

Larry Oz - Just an old guy on a fast bike!

Thanks Larry, before I went to see my doctor today, I did a controlled test over the week end: I didn't take my medication, and checked my pressure on my Life Science digital blood pressure monitor, my pressure was always under 120/80. After seeing my doctor, I mentioned those results to him, he took my pressure with his machine, and told me that for now, I don't need to take any more medicine to lower it, but to keep monitoring it. In 3 weeks, I'm down 9 lbs! Hoping to drop another 25 or so lbs.

Denis

DavidCH

... and the dreaded constipation ... I would say definitely more salt and water. It seems those two things are a catalyst in burning fat. Many of us use salt tablets when doing endurance races.

The Brook

Has anyone on this low carb regimen noticed if you no longer suffer from lactic acid buildup in your muscles? That your muscles, while they might get tired after a tough workout, aren't sore like they were before starting Keto?

I don't know if Keto is responsible, or if I'm just in better aerobic shape right now than I've been in many years.

BTW, I'm 3 + weeks into this, and I've now lost 11 lbs, and I LIKE the way I'm losing weight without being too hungry (some hunger in the 1/2 hour before meals, but nothing uncomfortable)

Regards,
Denis

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
No escaping that one; ammonia is going to build up when you go anaerobic, but the better your aerobic fitness the later in the game and the harder you can go before you suffer. A true Keto regiment by definition will raise your aerobic ceiling if you are riding and training at sub-threshold levels.