Diet: Low Carb and Ultra Cycling

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
The LDL is out of range.
The composition of the LDL makes a difference. It can be large and fluffy/buoyant (good) or small and dense (bad). Given that your other numbers are either midrange or very good, it's likely that the LDL is large and fluffy, and not something to be concerned about.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Summer has started early in the south of Spain. We have like an inferno of heat that usually brings lots of ravinous mosquitos. The funny thing this year is that I haven't been bitten. My cousin recently visited me in his RV but only stayed for three days and he had been bitten all over. He said to me 'I don't know how you stand it here. It's hotter than Egypt'.

So you are probably wondering why I have posted this on this thread , well I think that this diet has effected the taste of my blood and the mosquitos would rather bite someone else.

That's my 5 cents and I am sticking to it.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
well I think that this diet has effected the taste of my blood and the mosquitos would rather bite someone else.
Great observation!
and very interesting - I will have to pay more attention to if the mosquitos get around me or not when I go to the river for kayaking.
I wonder if it works for Poison Ivy too - haha. I know it does not work for bees - they still like to sting me when I am doing yard work! :(

1happyreader

zen/child method
almond butter packages?? .
In your outdoor training thread you mentioned fueling with " almond butter packages " could you explain the practical side of this ?
Not the reasons so much , but the packaging, how you carry them, ect.
thanks,,,
later,,,, bye

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
In your outdoor training thread you mentioned fueling with " almond butter packages " could you explain the practical side of this ?
Not the reasons so much , but the packaging, how you carry them, ect.

Not quite as good as the no preservative stuff in my refrigerator but darn convenient
Basically the same price as a hammer gel if you buy 10 packs.

http://shop.justins.com/Classic-Almond-Butter/p/JNB-000315&c=Justins@NutButters

(You can get a most Target Grocery Stores if you want to try it quick; but the prices aren't as good)

Tear; squeeze eat; slug some water and you got 200 calories back in and it really for me
make me not hungry. Want to top off the blood sugar get 1 of the 3 flavored ones which have
more sugars.

Great compliment to fresh berries which you can get a most high end convenience stores these days.

If I'm headed for the middle of no where I'll haul dehydrated strawberries.

SamP

Guru
For some reason, on Amazon, the maple almond and honey almond 10 packs are cheaper than direct, but the classic almond is way more.

BTW, is there a reason to prefer almond butter to peanut butter (besides the somewhat different allergy profiles)

ratz

For some reason, on Amazon, the maple almond and honey almond 10 packs are cheaper than direct, but the classic almond is way more.

BTW, is there a reason to prefer almond butter to peanut butter (besides the somewhat different allergy profiles)

Per tablespoon.
Better Quality Fat 5g versus 3.3
Better Source of fiber 1.6 grams versus 0.9
Better Source of Vitamin E (4 times as much)
Better Source of Calcium, Iron, Potassium, and Zinc.

Peanuts are a legume (split form bean/seed) and they are higher in carbs; they are also a bit like soybeans in the U.S. in that they are so heavily grown and driven towards a commodity that it's hard to find them in a higher good quality form for a good price; making the good ones you can get more on pair with almonds in price. So when the price becomes equal then the Almond wins as a higher quality food. Producing a good quality raw almond actually costs less than a high quality raw peanut. For some reason the Almond butter holds it's texture better in the heat than peanut butter too which is handy on the bike.

Any true nut you can eat raw; but beans and other legume can have oddities, they are not really a nut. You can eat raw Peanuts but they can have a a fungus on them that produces aflatoxin which cause health problems for people. Meanwhile cashew's are related to poison ivy and have toxic outer shell; until cleaned and processed you don't want to be eating those raw,Which is why Raw Cashews are so expensive, they had to be cleaned without cooking or roasting them.

The rest is subjective; legume's are pro-ported by some to cause more inflammation but I do not have that info at my finger tips to give any supporting info.

ratz

Nothing better than raw green peanuts boiled in salt brine. A southern delight.
What no deep fryer and batter? Oh wait that's a Minnesota thing; if they can stick it on a stick they will deep fry it at the state fair.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
The caviar of the South. When I was 11 I would pull the peanuts from my uncles field, my grandmother would boil them and I sold them at the Friday night softball games for .25 cent bag. Bought a honda cb160 with the money when I was 13. Good times.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Shouldn't have watched that film. Dang now I want to eat those peanuts. Gosh green boiled peanuts. That must be quite something

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I've been in Nawth Alabama for 50 yrs...never liked boiled peanuts. I guess I'll never be a true 'southerner'.
Miz Diane also dislikes 'em (and she's a native).

I scored some of the Almond Butter packets at Target last weekend. Will give 'em a try.

skipB

The first 10 Bushels of fresh green peanuts that are picked off My Mother-in-laws fields are immediately boiled and the field hands and the family gather . Best eating great traditions here in the south . They have been doing that on this farm since 1745.
hot boiled peanuts and a cold beer ain't nothing better

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I've been in Nawth Alabama for 50 yrs...never liked boiled peanuts.
I grew up in North Mississippi, where we ate parched [oven-roasted] peanuts. Never heard of boiling green peanuts until I moved to the Jackson area. My family all likes boiled peanuts, but I just don't care for 'em.

SamP

Guru
Salt is a flavor enhancer, so a little salt strengthens the flavor of almost everything. Salt is so important, Alton Brown dedicated a whole one hour Good Eats special to salt, Eat This Rock

My local Wegmans has the Justin's Almond Butter packets for $1.19 each and the ten-pack for $10.88. Wegmans is a large regional chain with about half its stores in New York (started in Rochester) and the rest in limited areas of nearby states.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
This Ketonics thing sure has me buffaloed. Truthfully, I am unable to keep the number of carbs down but I do try my best. It's still working and the weight continues to drop I wonder how low it can go? I have noticed an interesting trend in sports nutrition. A lot of trainers are jumping on the burn fat storage for energy use. The Team Sky Nutritionist James Morton mentioned in a video when his riders are right on the money when their muscles can burn both carbs and fat. Seems this is a bit counter to the Keto theory and just adds more confusion. I think Team Sky is simply putting out BS but seriously what do I know?