Diet: Low Carb and Ultra Cycling

LMT

Nutritional Ketosis Alters Fuel Preference and Thereby Endurance Performance in Athletes

"Achieving ketosis by feeding d-βHB in an acid or salt form is not advisable due to the accompanying acid/salt load. To circumvent this, and the unwanted dietary restriction of adhering to a ketogenic diet, we generated an edible form of a ketone body by transesterifying ethyl (R)-3-hydroxybutyrate with (R)-1,3-butanediol using lipase (Figure 1; Table S1). Previously we have shown the nutritional ingestion of this (R)-3-hydroxybutyl (R)-3-hydroxybutyrate ketone ester (KE) is a safe and effective way of elevating blood ketone levels (Clarke et al., 2012, Shivva et al., 2016) and provides a means of investigating human ketone metabolism independent of caloric or CHO deficit."

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(16)30355-2

Conclusion

"We have demonstrated the metabolic effects of elevated circulating ketone bodies as a fuel and biological signal to create a unique physiological condition. Ketosis may alter substrate competition for respiration, while improving oxidative energy transduction under certain conditions, such as endurance exercise. Consequently, nutritional ketosis may help to unlock greater human metabolic potential."

In other words, keep hydrated, don't go above your threshold and you can pretty much ride a bike for a long time.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Ok.... Just got frustrated. Lost just one kilo in two weeks. Crapo. Change my diet just a little. Out goes the salted sunflowers and pistachios and in come the Brazil nuts.

:cool:

Too much salt gives water retention

And Brazil nuts might make my hair grow

Bruce B

Nutritional Ketosis Alters Fuel Preference and Thereby Endurance Performance in Athletes

"Achieving ketosis by feeding d-βHB in an acid or salt form is not advisable due to the accompanying acid/salt load. To circumvent this, and the unwanted dietary restriction of adhering to a ketogenic diet, we generated an edible form of a ketone body by transesterifying ethyl (R)-3-hydroxybutyrate with (R)-1,3-butanediol using lipase (Figure 1; Table S1). Previously we have shown the nutritional ingestion of this (R)-3-hydroxybutyl (R)-3-hydroxybutyrate ketone ester (KE) is a safe and effective way of elevating blood ketone levels (Clarke et al., 2012, Shivva et al., 2016) and provides a means of investigating human ketone metabolism independent of caloric or CHO deficit."

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(16)30355-2

Conclusion

"We have demonstrated the metabolic effects of elevated circulating ketone bodies as a fuel and biological signal to create a unique physiological condition. Ketosis may alter substrate competition for respiration, while improving oxidative energy transduction under certain conditions, such as endurance exercise. Consequently, nutritional ketosis may help to unlock greater human metabolic potential."

After looking at Figure 1 and Table S1 I knew there was no reason for me to pay $31.50 USD to go over the wall. Way beyond my level of comprehension.

Table S1, starting with #62 "Supplemental experimental procedures" and forward is easier reading.

To think that the FDA has approved an "edible form of a ketone body."

DavidCH

Pro's and Watchouts

Pro's
Love the recovery ... Hardly any imflamation, easy to lose weight. Top yourself up with water and a little salt and your good for the ride. Just about every day.

Watchouts
The tree trunks (legs) get thinner instead of thicker.
Personal merits, plateaus.

The remedy
Eat more, instead of two eggs in the morning have 6 eggs mixed with spinach.

Perhaps double up with protein drinks each day... Even on recovery rides or going down the gym.

Have more smoothies.

Perhaps more rest in between rides.

Don't know what the answer is but at the moment it looks as though I am burning muscle as well as fat.

(I don't eat meat but do fish, basically spiritual reasons and the other; wellbeing, plenty of veg and fruit too).

Might be a perception thing... I get more second looks on the beach and the Mrs is thinking I am getting ready to ditch her.

Funny to have all these judgements on observations.

Goals
I have this idea of losing 3 more kilos. Whenever any one asks, I say "I just want to lose 3 more kilos?"
Then I think well it's great being so fit. After 80km before breakfast, i feel like doing more.

Perhaps go for a swim and then I think well why not triathlon or ironman?

I tell you this diet, open's the door on life.

And then my uncle says "go and get a job" because I look so young and youthful. (I already have spent 30 years in engineering and I have such a life now I don't want to go back).

I can only demonstrate my presence in anything I do... Just love going for it on the Vendetta... It's that bike that never tires you. And then there is the V20. Never ridden it... Frightened to as I know I would have to buy it. What would I do with the old one? That bike is sacred stuff; kept in presteen condition. Love the soft Gold color... Not many of those with a 11 speed setup either.

Funny eh... How we hold on to things.

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
That bike is sacred stuff; kept in presteen condition. Love the soft Gold color... Not many of those with a 11 speed setup either.
You have a "keeper" David. I wish I still had my "yellow RoadRunner". I don't think any real speed difference between older V2.? and V20, especially if you upgrade to the new seat!

DavidCH

You have a "keeper" David. I wish I still had my "yellow RoadRunner". I don't think any real speed difference between older V2.? and V20, especially if you upgrade to the new seat!
The seat I have is a two piece carbon. Is the new seat really a pound lighter than the two piecer and is it a different shape? I have been thinking of upgrading my seat to a Thor as I know some that have done it say it's improved their performance by 50% however, Greg's moving premises at the moment and he isn't producing any Thor seats for another 4 months.

Just wondered with all your speed metrics collections if you ever compared seat efficiency?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The seat I have is a two piece carbon. Is the new seat really a pound lighter than the two piecer and is it a different shape? I have been thinking of upgrading my seat to a Thor as I know some that have done it say it's improved their performance by 50% however, Greg's moving premises at the moment and he isn't producing any Thor seats for another 4 months.

Just wondered with all your speed metrics collections if you ever compared seat efficiency?
I am CERTAIN that Larry has done a test on the effects of different seats!!!

If not, send your seats to him so he can test them on his secret Track!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Still on the Keto diet but losing faith. I've noticed many of the elite Keto athletes seem to carbo load up on performance day. I thought just a little fudging and it will stop the fat burning process. If correct this means the athletes are running on sugar induced glucose not their fat storage on show day. What are the thoughts on carbs at showtime?

Depends on your definition of Carb Loading. Extreme Weight loss is 50g carbs, Weight Lost is 100g, maintenance is 150-200g.. All from good sources of carbs.

An event with extreme sustained effort, say a 1 hour TT, versus say a 12 hour endurance event will be more short term Glucose dependent. The more bursty the Power requirement and the closer to the nut you are for in-excess of one hour, the more you run the risk of exhausting glucose in the system resulting a "crash" versus a slow draining to empty.

So, if the morning of that TT event i up my carb input to say 400g from the best sources. Example berries, and sweet potato hash. During the event I then might carry a Chia based gel for a boost take at 30 minutes, just in case, too add some edge at the end of the second half. As long as I do not grab five Hammer gels at 21g of sugar; or pound two bananas, then I am not going to tip over my Keto system. Instead it will just see a higher level of stable glucose from the morning than it normally does; Long before it can over react with insulin we hit it with a high power demand and the body will bring all its available resources to attack the problem at hand.

Nutrition timing is important and requires some trial and error. Meanwhile, the 12 hours events instead require a strategic and steady replenishment of balanced nutrient intake; to keep the tanks topped off. Instead of loading 400 in the morning I would do my normal days supply of 150g and then figure a way to ingest more through out the event along with the other nutrients. The more training input ahead of time the more you can do without Glucose. I can now get some pretty high power output on 50g of carbs but it took most of the winter to build that. How I choose to deploy that on a longer than 4 hour ride depends on the goal. Chasing a sub 4 century will take Glucose and a multi metabolic strategy; but a sub 5 century that I can probably do on a cup of coffee and electrolytes. Next year I aim to raise that bar.

Now that stuff said, back at the TT style event. Might there be a single gel in my pocket for that last 8 minutes? Just in case I'm running neck and neck with the other guy and I need some nitrous I can drop in the tank? Probably! Would I use it; if need to; You-betcha. Will I pay for it later, probably, but not as bad as the guy putting down a gel every 10 minutes and drinking liquid sugar in his water bottle.

((No offense to the banana we field tested that as a possible better alternative to the chia; it did not end well)) The chia surprised me; +1 for pluckyblond.

So let's remember, Lee's been pounding the drum to remind people that Glucose isn't bad, isn't evil etc. I still concur with that; it's simply the source, the quantity and the quality that the Keto diet aims to control. That's one of several strategies. The keystone idea is you do not have to be overly Glucose dependent; but you still require glucose. So on race day you are going to need more Glucose; just by comparison you will need no where near as much as the other guy who is using it as his only fuel source. If you choose your glucose sources well you body will handle it without too much whiplash.

Nutrition is going to be a management game; regardless of which philosophy you follow.

These days, I try hard to look at "lazily obtained Glucose" and Alcohol as the same problem. I can use both intelligently to achieve a specific desired effect; and I can misuse both with disastrous results.

YMWV; because we all know Jason is Donut powered; and Lee is running on "Green" Smoothies; each with good results at large events that require more than average athletic output. There's more than one way to fuel; picking the one that works for you is the first step.

Last edited:

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Below is an excerpt from Beven McKinnon's blog.
This is sounding way too good to be true. It's the best of both worlds.
Sounds good to me. I train without food or water, even in the heat. Then I eat and drink potato chips, diet Coke, Starbucks Frappacinos, and Infinit during races or events. I burn lots of fat for energy and have a high heat tolerance through adaptation.

DavidCH

Mark Sissons - "The Primal Blueprint" - Heart attack or not.

It's not often spoken about but using oil in any diet is a contributing factor in heart disease. I for one, don't eat meat, but I do eat fish. At the moment I have a love affair with olive oil and an interest in everything else. I understand one day that I will let go of my body. That's inevitable in this world... But the great thing is I still like using it and I try to keep it in the best way. What an achievement it would be to say that you can cycle 100 miles in four hours? There aren't many of us who can do that. The mind behind the body that can do that has to be well informed and conditioned and in the last four months using "The Primal Blueprint" as a foundation is an excellent way to start the journey. To me it's a revelation just to get over the madness of hunger. If I am hungry now, I don't go hyperglycaemic and the idea of using your own fat reserves to complete the journey is an incredible release.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Great book is "Grain Brain". After reading this book ketogenic diet is not only way to ride hours without food for me but also way to prevent Alzhaimer's disease. What is probubly more important with my family history.

DavidCH

Great book is "Grain Brain". After reading this book ketogenic diet is not only way to ride hours without food for me but also way to prevent Alzhaimer's disease. What is probubly more important with my family history.
I will have to give it a read. My father suffered with that one. Thanks

(By the way... I don't know how you cycle on the roads in Prague. Gosh we have been walking here there and everywhere and by tram and bus. As James Bond would say "shaken not stirred")

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
(By the way... I don't know how you cycle on the roads in Prague. Gosh we have been walking here there and everywhere and by tram and bus. As James Bond would say "shaken not stirred")
It depends much where you cycle. You have to know the city center very well to be able to lower riding on coble stones. Outside of city center it is not so insane. But still you need as plush tires for Vendetta as possible.
I can jump between rails in >30 km/h when rail is in level with pavement and dry. Othervise I have to brake. And with 28 mm tubeless I can cross rails in ~30 km/h even when protruding as much as 3 cm.
But yes, I like German roads much more than Czech :)

ratz

Fasted for 10 hours test run TT without any real carbs in the system, just my normal 125g of high quality ones the day before. Did pretty good until the test power source "out truck" auto turned off on me and I couldn't get back into a rythm after having to run the power cord over to the wall. Hopefully when I load in a race day level of good carbs that the effort won't hurt quite that much. Still giving up 40 watts to the wizard of Oz. but this was the year of loosing weight, next winter is Pump you up. There is no way at the start of the diet I could have done that without totally staking my system with crappy processed sugar carbs and I would have been sore for 2 days after.

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 7.31.40 PM.png

Pluckyblond nailed her's to the T and made me look bad. Guess she gets the disc wheel on race day
Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 7.41.08 PM.png

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Still giving up 40 watts to the wizard of Oz. but this was the year of loosing weight, next winter is Pump you up.
You are funny Ratz!
I think we both lost some wattage with our weight loss, but we are better off for it.
Can't wait for the winter - strength building regime! haha
But - first things first: There's still serious racing to be done:
so - hope you guys "kill it" this weekend. Can't wait to read your report and see your videos! (Don't forget the video - it will make a great training aid later!)

DavidCH

There's not much more you could have done. Perhaps put the trainer in a pressurization chamber and trained at altitude. That would give you your max wattage.

The actual size of you changes the airflow dramatically. Even with less watts you are still faster.

(I am assuming of course that you don't live on top of a big mountain)

All the best

ratz

hope you guys "kill it" this weekend.

If by that you mean get our personal best sure no problem since it will be the first go round for this style event.
Goal one have fun, goal two learn the ropes, goal three measure base ability, goal four race the clock, goal five have fun make new friends.

No delusions here; We stated a 6 week vo2max plan on to the end of summer of no training June and July (just did 7 centuries to hold baseline fitness) after a winter of endurance 200+ mile targeted base training. This is as much to test the theory that we can stack on the race-day carbs on top of the keto base training and get a quality result relative to ourselves. We shall see

We also never get to ride the bikes this stripped down on a flat track so that alone will be fun,

Ain't no Camera gonna be on the bike; no watts to spare unless you are loaning me some.

Last edited: