Diet: Science Based Fueling for Endurance

This has a lot of useful information for being powerful and feeling good:
The Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success

To be clear, I absolutely do not endorse the wasteful, inefficient, refined, brand name goods they pedal. Their messages and strategies work very well, though. Many of the strategies I came to by my own experimentation and then found this guide. This guide reinforced what I thought was working and helped give me good quantities of water and foods to shoot for.

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Please read this first post before replying to this thread. Failure to do so may result in your reply being moved to it's own thread. We don't delete posts in almost all cases unless requested to by the poster; but we do occasionally move them to improve thread integrity, but even then it's rare. This thread and other like it to come, may be the exception.

It's become clear we need a good safe place to discuss diet strategies here in the forums both for general members trying to get fit and for our racing sub community. The problem with those discussions are that humans are varied and different things work for different people. Unfortunately it seems that as a side effect of that, diet strategies can sometime take on the fervor of religion and politics. If you doubt this see BROL's health section, by rights that should be an awesome resource unfortunately that is rarely the case as a user subset over there will hijack most threads to convince people that there is only 1 right way to eat and live. We don't do that here. So this thread will be different and hopefully more useful.

So here's the deal after some thought and introspection I'm willing to spend the time to truly moderate some high quality threads about diet. This should allow use to have very good resources for Vegan, LowCarb, Vegetarian, and Even Donut centric thread. I'm going to treat each one as a resource for those following the approach; if someone drops in a post asking for honest question about "but how does that work" it will stay. But post that are clearly of the implication "that's stupid it won't work, this is better" will get promptly moved to there own thread where the debate can continue. If a subthread gets into a long back and for about I'm confused how can that be, even if it's helpful I will also spin that off so it can continue but be separate from the main resource in a healthy constructive manager. Frankly with the quality of our community I don't expect to have to do much of that unless a newbie misses this message or a good intention discussion between Aussies devolves (looking at your Slim and Jon) :p If you want one of these thread's PM me and I will start the thread with this same header (I can't insert it after you start your thread due to datestamps). All threads are welcome for various Diet/Train-Style approaches.

On topic for this type of thread: Books on the subject, research papers, podcasts, websites, recipes, person success stories, person struggles, user to user support and encouragement, race/event results, training results, failures, strategies.

If this is immensely popular we can lobby Lucia to great a diet and training top level forum that's moderated to hold all such thread. If it's boring and not interesting then well all I lost was the time it took to compose this (twice I deleted the first one on accident:mad:) and the time you spent to read it.

Please join in and let's see what the tribe can make of this sort of topic.

ratz

Hammer has some nice products. We have them in our cupboard. Their supplements make s nice 1 stop place for athletes to get supplies. We've been successfully using: Anti-Fatigue Caps, Endurance Amino and Energy surge. Each based on a year of testing indoor and outdoors does appear to do what it's suppose to; and the Amino's are probably the most convenient form for that and certainly make a perceived difference in alertness at 4-6 hour marks. Grant the Amino's can be gotten separately at most food stores in the US for less cost, but then you wind up taking a ton of pills. We found the protein products to all taste terrible sans the strawberry, but that seems to be a perpetual problem with any protein powder. Meanwhile Recoverite is really effective if you can't plan your eating around your training schedule, I keep hearing from other people that "Studies" are showing that it unneeded if there is 18-24 hours between hard exercise, but I haven't actually seen those purported studies. I personally find I don't need it any more but we did use it for almost a year and it seem to do exactly what it was suppose to do. The gels are pretty descent and I tend to carry one or two with me on long rides as "just in case" supplies those are good for 20 minutes of boost if you go completely around the bend. The Perpetuem I've kind of soured on; it's a good tasting Maltodextrin fuel; but I find that raises my body temp quiet a bit as it's digested and that seems to slow me down and elevate my heart rate. I've never had any trouble keeping it down when either mixed thin or heavy. It is easy to over-do Perpetuem, Heed and Recoverite; and wind up gaining weight. The products seem really well designed for Runners and Triathletes with that total body demands, they may be a bit too calorie rich for Road Cycling so careful planning is probably the order of the day there.

It is easy to over-do Perpetuem, Heed and Recoverite; and wind up gaining weight. The products seem really well designed for Runners and Triathletes with that total body demands, they may be a bit too calorie rich for Road Cycling so careful planning is probably the order of the day there.
Give that document a read. It has recommendations for consumptions of various things per hour. I've found my consumption levels fall in their

ratz

Give that document a read. It has recommendations for consumptions of various things per hour. I've found my consumption levels fall in their

I've got the a very dog eared version of the dead tree version of that pamphlet (they will send it to you if you request it); it's really the bible for Maltodextrin fuels. I'd like to see them broaden their fuel line up, but they seem to be doing really well with their offerings for such a small essentially still a family business (40 people) based Montana. Larry and other will probably comment on switching from them to Infinit for stomach irritation.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Larry and other will probably comment on switching from them to Infinit for stomach irritation.
I never really had a problem with tolerating Hammer products, but all I used was Perpetuem and it was not for very long. To me the few flavors I tried that even seemed appealing: none tasted good to me, actually on the nasty side. So if it tastes nasty you are not going to want to drink it. I found the Infinit to be quite good tasting, plus you can custom mix your own formulas and add more or less taste to it as you see fit.
But to me, in the end - when I am riding really hard for more than 6 hours - I just loose the desire to eat or drink anything. So it better be something that I at least "like" the taste of.
I'll be certainly experimenting more with "how much" now that that I am hopefully more fat adapted. Maybe if I need "less" fuel as I am riding, I won't get as sick of it as quickly.