Disk Brake on Silvio?

romuald.josien

I just wonder if it is possible to set up Disk Brakes on the new Silvio S30? with which Road wheel?

I'm looking at Disk Brake to avoid the warming of Aluminum rims...I already experienced the puncture of tyre due to too hot rims...in middle of a slope at ~50Kmh !!!

Thanks for your feedback and experience sharing

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
All the majors players now

All the majors players now have offerings.

HED, Mavic, DT Swiss, Bontrager, ZIPP, Velocity ........ all have road disc wheels now that you can buy pre-made. You can also buy you own hubs and have wheels made. Gary and Larry have been using wheels from io9 I believe it's called; and they look pretty darn nice for the price < 1k.. You can also go with cheap asia wheels their are a lot of clones that people have had improving results with.

End of the day Depends on your budget, your goals, and your risk aversion.

Make your choices in this order:

1) Quality of Hub
2) Type of Rim Aero or Traditional
3) Type of rubber, Clincher, Tubeless, Tubular

Then run over and checkout TRP's new HY/RD road disc. Getting a lot good press for the price and performance. They are hydrolic; but they work with Cables. If you blew a tire from heat you'll probably want hydraulics'

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I would go for TPR

I would go for TPR Sprye double acting all mechanical disc brakes as 1/2 the price of the HY/RD, similar set and forget, same 20% more power than the single acting BB7 disk, and better modulation than the BB7, but not as good modulation as the HY/RD, but less problems with too much brake lever troubles.
If most of you ridding is on gravel roads then go the TPR HY/RD, if 95% bitumen roads then TPR Sprye.

On my Quest V1.0, I went from standard Tektro Auquila, to BB7, and now VERY happy with TPR Sprye.

ratz

Good info

SS,

That's good info; I had a heck of a time getting BB5's to fit on a Quest v1 frame Left Right spacing was a tad too much inboard compared to the Tektro. Brake upgrades are on the winter list the 5's got on my nerves this year; I was wondering which of the TRP's to try sounds like Sprye's will be worth a go.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ratz
      When I went to

Ratz
When I went to BB7 Mountain , I had to file some of the rear brake frame tabs back so I could centre the BB7 on the disk.
BB7 road brakes were required when I changed to drop bars and shimano Brifters to get the travel.

I have lent one Sprye to a mate to try out and he has bought it off me to use on the front of his Salsa touring bike as his BB5 were killing him with the noise in the rain and actually adjusting them correctly for good braking!!! He hardly uses the rear so has left the BB5 on it.
I will replace it when I buy all the parts for a new S30.

I have the same on the Quest with the Sprye on the front which is what I use 90% of the time, and a BB7 road on the rear.

romuald.josien

thank you for the feedback

thank you all for these feedback...so disk brake on road wheels is possible now...
but what about the Silvio or Vendeta...does their frame accept disk brake?

ratz

Yes

Both the S30 and V20 have disc brake mounts as do the older Silvio 2.0 and The Vendetta 2.0

Ivan_Liew

Hi, I am resurrecting this old thread as I have a question. I am trying to run a new disk brake on my Silvio 2.0. Yup, it's now been more than 2 years on this baby and I just finished my first 250km ride on her! :)

1. It appears that the Silvio/Vendetta 2.0 and 2.2 disk brake mounts are both "IS rear" spaced. So the Silvio front disk brake mounting tabs is actually like a DF rear disk brake mounting tab. http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/disc-brakes-on-the-new-vendetta.5095/

2. The manual says that 140*-160mm is possible in the rear, and 160*-180mm is possible in the front (* denotes recommended size in PDF manual). However, shouldn't it be possible to run a 140mm rotor in the front? I have a wheelset that already has 140mm rotors and would like to stick with it. https://cruzbike.com/DOWNLOADS/SilvioS30Assembly-2.2.pdf

3. I am thinking to buy 2 sets of the following TRP Spyres to with my Reynolds Assault SLG, both with 140mm rotors. Would that work both on my Silvio front and rear?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRP-Spyre-M...386721?hash=item35fdaf3ce1:g:Mc4AAOSwI3RW808B

s-l500.jpg

ratz

I believe Robert has said in the past that 160 was optimal for the front.

If going TRP consider the cable actuated hybrid hydrolic one. It is self centering and self adjusting. Will fit the front and back. Have never regretted the ones I put on the quest.

telephd

Guru
If anyone wants to give discs a go Ive got a set of Rival levers with BB7 roads and 160mm avid discs mounted on Velocity A23 wheels. These were mounted on a Silvio 2.1 I picked up for a buddy and he decided to go with SRAM Force levers and calipers instead. I think that this was Larry's old 2.1 that we picked up from a fellow up in NorCal.

Ivan_Liew

Thanks for the feedback. Given my weight and terrain looks like I will stick to 140mm rotors as per Bruce's article. I know it's more common to put 160mm on the front, but I am running 140mm on my cyclocross DF so am trying to keep it similar too.

The wheelset's rear hub at 135mm is a squeeze into my 130mm Silvio 2.0 front dropouts but nothing that others haven't done before. At some point I would also change from 10 to 11 speed and I can see I have VERY little clearance between chain and fork (Shimano 11 speed cassette). I recall others adjusting spacers and/or filing the inside of the fork <gulp>! At this point, I am reminded that the S30 changes to 132.5mm dropouts and full 11 speed compatibility were good ones, but I don't regret getting mine!

This is all a bit of a hassle but getting to disc brakes, carbon, 25mm wide rims, tubeless, and 11 speed future seems worth it. Phew, that's a lot of tech upgrade for one wheelset change! I managed to pick up an almost new Reynolds Assault SLG Disc 2015 for US$1000 so this should be happening soon...

ratz

You'll really like those wheels.

If the wheel-set is 135mm and you get it mounted then you should not have any problem running 11speed (you might have to limit at 12T something like a 12-28T Shimano).

On a 130mm hub you have to add a 1-2mm washer and sand off the paint; but the 135 would seem to do the same thing; just inspect your forks regularly; that's 5mm of unexpected stress you are adding.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The Spyers will be a tight fit depending on the hub of your wheel. If the hub flange is a tall one the caliper will have a hard time clearing the spokes in the rear.

The hybrid TRP brakes are a good fit and work well once they are set correctly and broken in.

I would go for 140mm front and rear. Disc brakes are extremely strong on the higher performance Cruzbikes. I recommend dialing the rear out for as little of that typical "disc brake grab" as you can get, otherwise you will be skidding the rear wheel (a lot)

Robert

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The hy/rd do not seem as strong as the Maguras on my Grasshopper. I have TRP because they are the only ones with road levers.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The Spyers will be a tight fit depending on the hub of your wheel. If the hub flange is a tall one the caliper will have a hard time clearing the spokes in the rear.

The hybrid TRP brakes are a good fit and work well once they are set correctly and broken in.

I would go for 140mm front and rear. Disc brakes are extremely strong on the higher performance Cruzbikes. I recommend dialing the rear out for as little of that typical "disc brake grab" as you can get, otherwise you will be skidding the rear wheel (a lot)

Robert

how does this apply to the Vendetta in caparison? I'm about to pull the trigger on some wheel with DT350 disc hubs to the V20 and TRP are the brakes I'm looking to use. Will 140mm work front and rear?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Use 140 front and rear. You have to use 140's in the back as there is barely enough clearance for that size rotor and a 160 will not fit. On the front 140 is plenty of stopping power for the V20 and anything more is in my opinion complete overkill.

Robert

how does this apply to the Vendetta in caparison? I'm about to pull the trigger on some wheel with DT350 disc hubs to the V20 and TRP are the brakes I'm looking to use. Will 140mm work front and rear?

I've got a disc up front and calipers in the rear. The rear needs less braking capacity. Between the brakes and the wheel build, a caliper setup is lighter and less expensive. These are the reasons I went with this setup and it's working well so far.