Disk Brake on Silvio?

Ivan_Liew

Yes, 140mm fits front and rear but I haven't completed my switch yet. Robert commented about clearance of the hub flange. For my Reynolds Assault SLG Disc wheelset, this is not an issue. The combination looks really sweet, but I am going very slow on the change over waiting for certain parts to arrive. I am going to 11 speed, disc and tubular at the same time.

Ivan_Liew

I have completed my setup! This is my 2 year old Silvio 2.0 - one of the very first. I have had SRAM Force with rim brakes and regular clinchers all this time.
image.jpeg

Now I have Reynolds Assault SLG Disc tubeless wheels with Shimano 140mm rotors (front and back) and TRP Spyre calipers. No problems with clearance with this combination.

image.jpeg

Being a Silvio 2.0 that has 130mm drive wheel dropouts, I had to fiddle a bit more to get the wheel on. Nothing that couldn't be done on the road for repair. I was prepared to have to file the fork for chain clearance on the 11T sprocket but this was not a problem at all. I have 1mm clearance without having to do anything!

To upgrade to 11 speed I bought Shimano 105 5800 series shifters, front and rear derailleurs. I already had the Ultegra cassette. I stayed with the same SRAM Force crankset as it has been shortened to 155mm. For good measure you can see the mounting of my honkin' big Lezyne DecaDrive and my unique choice of running the FD cable that I have done since the first day.

image.jpeg

This is also my first foray into tubeless wheels. Getting these setup took me some time, but I eventually did so with my own ghetto inflator. I am very excited to ride these highly reviewed Schwalbe Pro One tyres and know that I am practically impervious to flats!

Took my first ride this morning and it was sweet. Only negative so far is that the Shimano levers swing inward more than SRAM, so with my narrow cockpit this can cause leg interference that was never an issue with SRAM. I guess I'll just have to go electronic sometime!

Last edited: