Do Cruzbike racers deserve a shot at the “overall” podium?

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I agree with the race directors who are trying to make their race 'more inclusive' by adding categories (age, gender, bicycle type, etc.). Recumbents are a tiny niche at the moment. However, I also think that (when there is the opportunity) there should be a separate podium for overall...where the only judge is the contest (time, distance, etc.). In that way, any category could potientally podium for 'overall'. How hard would it be to look at the results and say, "ok, the top three spots are out of one category, no "overall" is necessary" vs "ok, the top three spots have some diversity, we need an "overall" podium"?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Adding cats is like printing money, it cheapens the value to give everyone a piece of the pie.

I may just have values of the old days where there was only one winner and two runner ups on display in racing.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Regardless of what happens I will always race my hardest against everyone on course regardless of how old, fast, slow, young they are or what they choose to ride.

NeaL

Guru
Adding cats is like printing money, it cheapens the value to give everyone a piece of the pie.

I may just have values of the old days where there was only one winner and two runner ups on display in racing.

Two of my kids were involved in soapbox derby racing for a short while. They gave out trophies all the way down to 8th place.
Regardless, I repeatedly reminded my kids that coming in 2nd only means that you are the first loser.

It’s pretty obvious to me. Don’t race at the races that like your money but not your platform.

Boom. *mic drop*

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Two of my kids were involved in soapbox derby racing for a short while. They gave out trophies all the way down to 8th place.
Regardless, I repeatedly reminded my kids that coming in 2nd only means that you are the first loser.

Keep them tough and hungry, don't raise soft kids. I roll my eyes every time I see a Mtb or road race podium 5 deep with two riders standing on the floor next to the podium. There's a reason a podium only has 3 steps, stop trying to add spots to it :rolleyes:

Also I'll race were cruzbike asks me to because they know where they want their message heard.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
There is only one winner the rest are failures.
You only win in life from learning from your failures. There was a sports psychology book I was recommended in reading on one of these forums.
I will try to find it when I get back from Paris.

jond

Zen MBB Master
There is only one winner the rest are failures.
You only win in life from learning from your failures. There was a sports psychology book I was recommended in reading on one of these forums.
I will try to find it when I get back from Paris.

If you give your best and fail you are a winner. Lol

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Big podium on which everybody stands to get some sort of medal. That is the podium I can share with Mr Oslund and Mr Perez. I might be able to keep Larry's rear light in sight. Without using binoculars.