Do It Yourself (DIY) cover for Non-Drive wheel

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Getting a cover for a non-drive wheel can be tricky. It's usually the front wheel for old fashioned bikes (OFB) and perhaps for liability reasons (or because most folks don't want to hurt themselves in the wind) there isn't much of a market.

Ratz and Larry pointed out a couple of options here (http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/fun-with-wheels.8223/#post-30328) and here (http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/front-disc-wheel.7896/#post-28705) but I chose to make mine using lessons learned from this site:

http://midwesttrilife.blogspot.com/2013/07/diy-aero-wheel-cover-tutorial.html

The difference I had was I didn't use ABS - because I thought it was too thick/heavy.
I tried Polyethelene (PE) first - there are glues made specifically for PE and even they didn't really work (you can read the science behind why PE doesn't glue well on The Google). Those new glues MIGHT work if you were way better at the scuff, heat, treat, apply, clamp process than I was. Even when I did it *pretty good* I could still pull it apart with my hands. Didn't want that to happen at 45MPH thankyouverymuch.

So I switched to Polypropylene (PP) - because it was thin enough, somewhat light, and seemed seriously rugged - and the glue wasn't glue but rather "weld". Which means it melts the plastic, evaporates, and leaves the two pieces *almost* as joined as if they were originally pieces of the same part.
I chose the transparent one because it was in stock and I wanted them *today* - fast food culture style.

The glue can be kinda messy - but as long as the mess is inside it doesn't much matter.

Some lessons/observations:
* You'll want to try and make your wheel kinda balanced so put the seams in opposition to each other (one at 12:00 and on the other side at 6:00.
* Don't forget to account for the dish of your wheel.
* The folks at catalyst (mentioned in the links above) pointed out that just using electrical tape to mount the covers to your wheels is good enough - they weren't kidding. I've had mine up to almost 50mph, and even with a little wobble in the dish (high spot) they are still just as good on there as they were when I put them on.
* Might want to watch the tape for delaminating over time - but I think it's fine.
* lastly - PP is extremely tough but it appears to be "brittle". By that I mean once a crack gets started it travels easily. My access hole for my valve stem is shaped like an A rather than a U and at the point of the A it started a small crack - then just handling the cover, showing people, setting it down a few times - that crack developed about 1/2 inch, I tugged on it purposefully and it move another 1/4 inch without much effort.

So I welded it to itself (to keep it from progressing and it's fine now - just watch out for sharp inner angles and repair them sooner than later - especially in the inner hub-hole. I suppose using a sharp drill might work great here but I didn't have one the right size.

oh - one more thing. PP cuts like glass. With a sharp utility knife you only need to really score it maybe 1/4 of the way down, then bend it away from the cut and it snaps off nice and clean.

Naturally I failed to take pictures as I did this - I'm just not that organized I guess?
But you can see the good side of the final product in this pic.

IMG_7238.JPG

And if anyone is interested in the hand-covers I made there too - let me know and I'll post something on that as well.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
one more thing - to save you time pre-measuring.
You pretty much can't go wrong with a 24" diameter circle on a 700c wheel.
Mine has HARDLY any rim beyond the braking surface (Rolf Siestre).
24 x 48 appears to be a common enough size and that is enough material for these or probably ANY reasonable wheel you might want to put covers on.

DuncanWatson

Dacron. I have a big roll of dacron from Aircraft Spruce to make homebuilt wheel covers from. If you dig up fleettrikes.com in the internet archive sites you can find a howto for dacron wheelcovers.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I recall that material from a couple yrs back when I considered this DIY then.
In the interim I discovered this plastic / taped idea and preferred it for ease.

Good option though for a host of reasons.

DuncanWatson

Extra 700c non-drive wheels aren't that hard to come by. We might try to get a little workshop day going if we can dig up more locals. Heck that might be a good idea anyway since recumbent riders are all looking for better mechanics. We could do a group tune-up and test ride day.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
The wheel covers on my velomobile are a semi-stretchy fabric, not sure what type of fabric. There is a very small fiberglass rod in a sleeve at the outer edge that fits into clips attached to the spokes.

My velo wheels are all single sided axles. The front wheels only have covers on the outside. The rear wheel which is also on a single-sided axle has these covers on both sides. The free side can be popped off without removing the wheel but the drive side cover can only be removed with the wheel removed from the velo. I think these would work on our Cruzbikes - not sure. The trick would be the center hole for axle/cassette clearance. My right rear cover has an unsupported hole cut in the fabric but the velo body shields that part from most of the air flow that would normally want to disturb the cutout in the fabric.

The photo below is my right front wheel (406 mm or 20 in). The rear wheel is a 559 mm or 26 in.

The other nice aspect is the fabric is reflective to a great extent when light hits it at night.

upload_2015-4-22_20-24-20.png

To give you some perspective on size, this was my test ride last August before buying it. You can see the rear wheel has very little exposure...

Duncan, do you have these on your Mango?

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I've always wondered why they don't make pivoting aerofoil shapes which cover spokes individually.
(imagine a 2-d teardrop shape, extruded in length with the spoke as if to form a small wing, with a hole cut/extruded such that the spoke acted as a pivot for the aerofoil).

Perhaps one day I'll attempt to make such a thing.