Do you ride a Cruzbike as part of recovery after a stroke or heart attack?

Hi #cruzbiketribe. I'm fielding this question and wondering if this is you or you know anyone who could speak to this:

"I had a stroke about 6 months ago and will make a full recovery. Do you know anyone who has had stroke and now rides a Cruzbike as part of their recovery?"

Thank you!

mzweili

Guru
back in dec. 2001, 56 y.o. workaholic, no physical activity, I ran into a hearth attack. Followed a couple of months to reconfigure my life style, gym 3 times a week and some occasionnel cycling on a DF. After my professional retirement in 2011 I joined a local Cycling club. Rapidely my back, butt and wrists were suffering from the DF position. So I bought a trike. With the trike a had difficulties to follow my buddies on their road bikes. So the decision came to buy my Silvio 2.1. No more suffering and no problem to keep-up with my buddies.
Conclusion: The heart attack is history, although the power is certainly less than it would be without that experience. The most important is FUN.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I don't know his exact story but I have a recumbent acquaintance over here in the Bay Area who had some kind of cardiovascular issue a few years back and now has to keep his power output low so he compensates sometimes via electric assist. I think too much of his life has been tied to bike for him to ever give them up. He doesn't own a CruzBike yet but I did talk to him for quite awhile during a ride last year and even got him in contact with Jim and Maria about adding his shop as the only NorCal CruzBike dealer.

Not sure if your story needs to be directly tied CruzBike ownership but if you'd like to talk to him send me a PM and I'll get ahold of him. He and his other buddy both have the same problem and use electric recumbents and they seemed to be able to list off a few others who used to frequent the double century events in CA who have also suffered from the same cardiovascular issues.

mzweili

Guru
I did some inquiry for electric assist (Omni-Wheel). Here the info I got from John O'Donnell at EVELO.com:
The Cruz bike is a great platform for the Omni. Honestly, it's probably the best fit out there even compared to conventional bikes since it puts the disc wheel in the back--so handling is very stable and the throttle control works great.
Once if I have some balance and/or power problems I may try the Omni-Wheel.

KneeDrachen

I can speak to this @Genevieve Parker Hill ...late in the game, but nonetheless. I had a CVA (stroke) on February 27 2013 at the age of 33. Tip top health, active, no significant past medical history. I work in a position that requires a lot of physical exertion and high stress levels, but never, ever had a problem...I started rehab/learing at square one: walking, speaking, eating, reading and the list goes on. I chose an S30 and honestly, have found it very, very frustrating. A lot of is has to do with spatial orientation and coordination which happen to be my personal deficits. When it works, its great, when I am not coordinated enough, it is frustrating. I am taking my time, I was hot to sell the S30 from the extreme aggravation but after speaking with @Maria Parker , I have stuck with it and just bought some accessories for it to keep me motivated. After speaking with OTs and neurologists, the gist is that learning to ride a dimaond frame is deeply ingrained, so it is a skill set I can fall back on. The S30 is a new skill set that has to be learned and part of my cognitive deficit comes with retaining new information. I am glad I was told to stick with it (in a much politer manner by @Maria Parker because it is coming to me, albeit slowly, but I am getting there. If a person recovering from CVA were to undertake this venture, I would preface this that no matter how many odds you beat (learning to walk, talk and eat), progress is not linear and that he/she should give it time, a LOT of time prior to expecting success. For what it is worth, I was told by one of the physicians that bicycle riding is one of the best activities to engage the brain during physical activity because of the required coordination, micro-corrections etc. I find that I am easily fatigued (neurologically) during the learning process with the S30 but am positive the pay-off is there once I am proficient. I'm willing the act as an ambassador for the brand with people that may have had a CVA/TIA. I was a member of the National Stroke Association's cycling team for fundraising and have made a few contacts via my position.