Does the Silvio v1.5 Fit Short Riders?

thebean

Good Morning!

I want to purchase the v1.5 but am wondering if I fits short riders with x seams of 40 inches or less. Anyone here with this x seam own one?

I also want to run a 155mm triple, and want to make sure this will work. Nanda shared that I should go with a compact, but I am hesitant to do this with all of the hills in AZ. Some are experimenting with Q rings and one person speculates that they will be able to go with the Q rings in a compact set up. I would love to hear your thoughts!

The picture of the short woman on the bike is nice, but in reality, does it work? Also note that the bike she is on has a double.

I am ridiculously in love with this bike!

mickjordan

Re short riders

So, I'm not short but I have a very short X-seam of 38" for my height of 5'9". I just fit the 1.5 with 172.5 cranks, and I have the Ultegra triple. The limiting factor that I found in the boom adjustment was that at a certain angle the chainstays run up against a ridge in the fork preventing the angle to be any narrower. Evidently shorter cranks help as they require the BB to move further away for any given X-seam. I can't see anything in the 1.5 design that would prevent a triple due to the new braze-on derailleur mount.

I would strongly recommend a triple, especially as you live in a hilly area. On the Q-ring front, the 6700 isn't compatible, but there are plenty of alternatives. Unless you are on a budget, I'd seriously consider da Vinci cranks which come in a wide range of sizes and fit Q-rings. I have those and 53-39-25 Q-rings on my Bacchetta and bought a 52-39-27 Q-ring set that I plan to put on my Silvio, having located a 6600 crank.

Mick

P.S. The story on the 6600 is interesting. I located one online from chainreactioncycles.com, going cheap, as it's now superceded by the 6700. Not only was it cheap, it was free shipping from the UK, and it arrived in 2 days!

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
that is correct

"The limiting factor that I found in the boom adjustment was that at a certain angle the chainstays run up against a ridge in the fork preventing the angle to be any narrower."
Mick,
that is correct. It is possible to hand file the chainstay dropouts to relieve them where this interference occurs and by that means, shorten the x-seam even further. What then happens is the handlebar climbs accordingly. So it is then possible to shorten the fork steerer and to assemble without any spacers, only with the pivot clamp.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Photos

IMAG0722(1).jpg

Grind the relief in the chain stay dropout longer, towrad the pivot

IMAG0720.jpg

Relive the derailleur hanger to accept the end of the fork dropout.

IMAG0713.jpg width: 359px;

Shorten the upper front tube.

IMAG0716.jpg width: 359px;

The front triangle can now be made ridiculously short.

mickjordan

Cutting edge

Isn't it great being on the cutting edge! Good to have something like this posted. I certainly wasn't about to do that kind of surgery off my own bat!

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Actually...

...that would be an interesting project John - there are no 'bents for young folks, why not the best for the best?
regular_smile.gif

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Fashion, so important

Nick says he would look stupid riding with his arms in the air holding onto those high rise handlebars. I agree. He does like the Silvio, but not with that shape front triangle.

Fashion, so important to the youth of today.