Down Hill Form

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Bob,
You are NOT as steady as your wife, especially when starting!!!
What is the high frequency noise, that sounds like bearings, but I know it would not be?
The Flashing Designshine light on the Stop sign stands out!
Have you noticed that cars give you a bit more space with the new lights?

Having the info on the screen is great!
You live in a HILLY area!
I live on the Flats at 35 m elevation, with the closest hills 10 km away, with a maximum height of 7oo m ((2,300 ft)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Its the freewheel!!! Noisy!!!
What make of wheel is it?
Is it noisy in real life or has the microphone emphasized it?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Yeah that's the pawls; You don't want me coasting on your butt because you'll know I'm there, it's great for sitting on the rear of a pace line where they are all pedaling and I'm coasting. Funny part is that's my Aero wheel. My winding day wheels on the Silvio are the exact opposite and the same brand.

Hilly? that's the flat side of town. We live on a hill that is 300 ft higher than the river that incircles us; so it's 600ft to leave and come home :)

Yes I'm getting a wide berth from the DS Lights, and people are treating me a lot more like a car when i take the lane. I've been shooting forward and rear video on rides and studying it.

You are also right with the bull horns the wife is more steady than I am; the one negative of the drops is I do swerve more; but I did do that entire descent 1 handed as I was resting from doing hill repeats; didn't really intend to use that video until I noticed that I mostly coasted it in a fixed position thus making it a good demo video.

Last edited:

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Did not watch your video, sorry: Dropbox and I -mostly 'I'- don't get along.

Here's a 'pro' tip for faster, car-free descending for you guys:
After you've run through your gears and have spun out,
unclip your less-dominant foot and rest your unclipped leg on the pedal,
outstretched, parallel with your clipped-in dominant leg.
In other words, point your toes into the slipstream and steer one-legged.

It's scary-fast and fun, because free speed is fun.
Plus, you really do have to have that relaxation skill down.

Um... have fun!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Steve,
Excellent Idea!!!
I have the cranks horizontal and point the lead foot, but the rear foot a is pointing up as I am as flexible as a Lion? and the knee is high!!!!
I will try your method and see how much faster I can go!!

ratz

Steve,
Excellent Idea!!!
I have the cranks horizontal and point the lead foot, but the rear foot a is pointing up as I am as flexible as a Lion? and the knee is high!!!!

I use to do that on the catrike 700. It was good for almost a full 2mph getting from 58 to 60mph on the sister hill to the one in the video. And no I won't run the Vendetta up to 60 on that hill the road quality isn't good enough to do that on a two wheeler as it require pedaling.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I use to do that on the catrike 700. It was good for almost a full 2mph getting from 58 to 60mph on the sister hill to the one in the video. And no I won't run the Vendetta up to 60 on that hill the road quality isn't good enough to do that on a two wheeler as it require pedaling.
That's weird and it goes to show how we are all different. I feel way my confident at high speeds on my Vendetta, than I did with my Catrike 700. I would chose the 60 mph on my Vendetta by 20 over the Catrike 700. One of my 2015 goals is to break 50 mph on the Vendetta, I'm almost there at 48.5...but at those speeds the conditions need to be near perfect.

ratz

That's weird and it goes to show how we are all different. I feel way my confident at high speeds on my Vendetta, than I did with my Catrike 700. I would chose the 60 mph on my Vendetta by 20 over the Catrike 700. One of my 2015 goals is to break 50 mph on the Vendetta, I'm almost there at 48.5...but at those speeds the conditions need to be near perfect.

It's more about the road surface of that hill than the bike.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
What Bob said...
Until you can go nice and smooth like this; keep practicing and save the pedaling until proficient

I think keeping the upper body relaxed, non-tensed is also a key. The shoulders and arms should be relaxed...keep in mind there is a difference in firm grip and "death grip". "Death Grip" in my mind is when the whole upper body is ridge and tense causing unwanted feedback to the handlebars and down the boom triggering unwanted twitchyness and wobble. It's not recommended to unpack, build, and hit a fast downhill on your new Cruzbike. Practice the flats first, build the confidence, then tackle ascents and descent, start out small, work you way up. It's easy but does require patience and practice.

Foot and leg position, is more a matter of taste and what makes you comfortable. At this point I can rotate my pedals slowly or fast, lock my legs or keep them relaxed. I generally keep them relaxed, and may lock myself in if I see a big bump ahead. For me, I keep my whole body relaxed and just go with the flow of the bike with a simi-firm grip.

Here is some video I shot March 4 2015 on the Vendetta coming off one of the most exciting mountains in my area. Most speeds are in the 40 mph range all the way up to 48.3m mph. It was not a 100% coast-job, I did do a lot of braking as the speeds can get quite fast through the turns, and not able to see what's around the corner. The scariest but most exhilarating part for me was the last few seconds, coming into a corner and maintaining 41-42 mph through the corner drifting towards the guard rail.

Note: It should be noted in Bob's video above, he did that one handed!

Strava info

Last edited:

DuncanWatson

I will have to learn downhill handling before I can do much riding out there. I drop 280 ft of elevation and hit 41mph during that descent on my raptobike when leaving the house. I can tool around the local neighborhood a bit without hills but if I want to go anywhere I have to descend. My commute route has me hitting 44+mph on a regular basis. I don't see the Vendetta being slower than the Raptobike once I adapt.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Yeesh - 2 hours and 16 miles of uphill. As a flatlander, I've never really thought about it like that, but it's making my legs ache.
Keep in my that's me, and not Larry, he would cut it in half at the very least. The downhill part is 10 times worth the effort. It's like being 10 years old and going to Disneyland with no lines.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I will have to learn downhill handling before I can do much riding out there. I drop 280 ft of elevation and hit 41mph during that descent on my raptobike when leaving the house. I can tool around the local neighborhood a bit without hills but if I want to go anywhere I have to descend. My commute route has me hitting 44+mph on a regular basis. I don't see the Vendetta being slower than the Raptobike once I adapt.
I don't think you will have any problem adapting Duncan. It's just best to get a feel for the bike before you do anything crazy...But then on the other if you are like Bob...his first ride was out his door and down the very hill in the video.

DuncanWatson

I don't expect it either. Looking at my records I think I was looking at a mango trip when I quoted numbers. Probably lesser on my raptobike ;-)

I will tool around until I feel good. I will likely take it easy on hills until I get comfortable, I will just have to avoid the big Issaquah/Redmond hills that are notorious around here. Basic handling will be my first battle then climbing.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Steve,
Excellent Idea!!!
Oh, thank you.
Credit for this idea is probably lost in time... I first saw it done by the guy who does the Sofabike videos on YouTube.

Keep in my that's me, and not Larry, he would cut it in half at the very least. The downhill part is 10 times worth the effort. It's like being 10 years old and going to Disneyland with no lines.

That ride is impressive anyway. I'd only experience the ride down as a bouncing corpse after I had a coronary 1/4 of the way up.